Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well, I would like to shoot in the nature you have like "given" - what is common for one is kind of precious for others! And I'm pretty sure you know it!
Even so, if I had the choice of photographing birds at the North Pole or on the equator (Ecuador), I know what I would choose, especially in December.

• Haha
Reactions: EricN

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Even so, if I had the choice of photographing birds at the North Pole or on the equator (Ecuador), I know what I would choose, especially in December.
:ROFLMAO:!
Sorry Alan - I just forgot that it's a ~winter for some guys:oops:!

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
:ROFLMAO:!
Sorry Alan - I just forgot that it's a ~winter for some guys:oops:!

December at the north pole? You're going to need a ton of dynamic range to separate coal-black backgrounds from coal-black birds. If any are there for the 6 month night!

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
December at the north pole? You're going to need a ton of dynamic range to separate coal-black backgrounds from coal-black birds. If any are there for the 6 month night!
Even at the very North Pole, night without any twilight lasts only 11 weeks, and there can be moonlight. But, that's not enough light to tempt me there.

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Even at the very North Pole, night without any twilight lasts only 11 weeks, and there can be moonlight. But, that's not enough light to tempt me there.
To say nothing of the fact that I can't imagine any birds would actually be there.

The high arctic land (more likely bogs) during summer is a completely different story.

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
What birds would you see in summer?
I'm not a birder, but I'm sure on general principles that some birds are up there in the High Arctic during summer. Taking a quick look, here's a link to an article talking about birds of the arctic.

This isn't the north pole, per se, but the high arctic (northern North America and presumably northern Eurasia). This was simply the first thing that turned up on a Google search.

I don't know how many of these are year-round residents.

Reactions: EricN

DanP

EOS 90D
CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
First time seeing this head position behavior from Geese. Only two of a group of eight kept their heads down. It probably means something.
054A3505 Cropped Reduced for CR.jpg

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
First time seeing this head position behavior from Geese. Only two of a group of eight kept their heads down. It probably means something. View attachment 200972
I have no idea what they are doing but hiding their heads and exposing their ar@@:oops:? On other hand it looks like they are doing a push-ups - almost synchronized :ROFLMAO:!
Jokes aside - I have no idea what actually they do... Click could be very on the point!

Last edited:

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Or you may use the camera DanP used on the previous page! The problem (amongs many others!) is to find any bird before the polar bears find you:)!

• Haha
Reactions: SteveC and EricN

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Out on a walk yesterday, with the usual complete lack of birds. But, as evening was coming in, some fellow walkers told us that there was a flock of Cattle Egrets - a rarity in the UK - in a somewhat inaccessible sheep field. We found them, and they were very skittish, and too far away for close ups with the RF 100-400mm. These shots give the flavour.

309A9831-DxO_RF100-400mm_3_cattle_egrets+sheep.jpg
309A0009-DxO_RF100-400mm_Cattle_egret_flying.jpg