Sigma 150–600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's just for the Sony E for now but maybe is a foretaste of things to come for us. Price is £1195 in the UK. Weight is 2.1 kg (presumably plus a couple of hundred gram with the hood etc), which is just on the heavy side for me but lighter than the original sports. The MTFs look good - theoretically similar to the 100-500mm at telephoto end but weaker at 150mm, and slightly better than the original Sigma Sports.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
It's just for the Sony E for now but maybe is a foretaste of things to come for us. Price is £1195 in the UK. Weight is 2.1 kg (presumably plus a couple of hundred gram with the hood etc), which is just on the heavy side for me but lighter than the original sports. The MTFs look good - theoretically similar to the 100-500mm at telephoto end but weaker at 150mm, and slightly better than the original Sigma Sports.
Yes, this does look like an exciting and interesting quality telezoom lens indeed. Certainly hope it will be made available for RF mount... but there area AF (& IBIS) Canon algorithms and protocols which mean that in some respects Canon RF lenses may be best for future compatibility / utilising all functionality.

What you wrote above Alan, is a good summary. The price of £1195 in the UK is reasonable. The Canon RF 100-500mm is a great lens indeed, but it's currently $4,500 AUD here in Australia, which is a significant amount of money for the lens that it is. Therefore I would seriously consider the Sigma 150-600mm as an option...

I am looking at all the available options to transition my lenses from EF (& some EF-S) to RF mount. I know the EF->RF adapter works well... that's another story.

Really hoping that Sigma (& other manufacturers, including Tamron) will be able to have lenses that work really well on RF soon... this would be a serious consideration for me if AF, lens stabilisation+IBIS are quick and accurate, and that the image quality (sharpness, contrast, colour and rendering) are of high standards.

Regards

PJ

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0