Sigma 500/4 at TDP

I think this makes it an interesting decision for those looking at the 400mm DO II. You can add 3 pounds of weight, 6 inches of length, and take off $900 in price in order to get the extra 100mm. For some, that's a good trade.

If you're the kind of person sticking a 2x TC on the 400, you can now stick just the 1.4x TC on the 500 and have a full stop of brightness better, as well as a little better focal length, and quite possibly better image quality due to having fewer extra elements involved.

It would fly off the shelves at $3500, but there is a valid best-use case at $6k. Just not mine.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I think this makes it an interesting decision for those looking at the 400mm DO II. You can add 3 pounds of weight, 6 inches of length, and take off $900 in price in order to get the extra 100mm. For some, that's a good trade.

If you're the kind of person sticking a 2x TC on the 400, you can now stick just the 1.4x TC on the 500 and have a full stop of brightness better, as well as a little better focal length, and quite possibly better image quality due to having fewer extra elements involved.

It would fly off the shelves at $3500, but there is a valid best-use case at $6k. Just not mine.

I simply couldn't hand hold those extra 3lb. The extra 6" of length makes holding even worse because the heavy front elements being further away exert a greater torque.

Upvote 0
I have tested the new Sigma 500 F4 OS with 7D II, 5D IV and 1DX II.
My initial impressions are quite good - the lens is sharp with fast focus and focus adjustment was not needed. Also it's light enough for a little hand held photo walk for small birds.

This one was impressive - 1/100 sec, ISO 800, 1DX II - low sunset light and a small bird deep in the bushes:
AN4I0052_l.jpg

I have tested the lens with the new Sigma 1.4 converter and the images were fine, but the focus was a bit slower(at least with 5D IV)
8A8A2403_l.jpg

Upvote 0