SIGMA again announces EF-M lenses, and mount conversion service

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
2019.10.04 – SIGMA Corporation is pleased to announce the upcoming launch of interchangeable lenses for the Canon EF-M mount digital camera series with APS-C image sensors. SIGMA will gradually introduce the lenses as members of the Contemporary line.
The new Canon EF-M mount models will feature a newly and exclusively developed control algorithm that optimizes the autofocus drive and maximizes the data transmission speed. In addition, these lenses will be compatible with Servo AF and lens aberration correction.

(deployads = window.deployads || []).push({});

The lineup will include the Contemporary line set of three prime lenses 16mm, 30mm, and 56mm. While retaining the compact, lightweight and outstanding image quality concepts of the Contemporary line, this new large-aperture lens series covering from wide to mid-tele angle provides the amount of bokeh and admirable brightness expected from F1.4 to be enjoyed on Canon EF-M mount cameras.
Key features

Impressively compact...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I've been surprised at how slow Canon has been to produce EF-M lenses. The current line up appears to be good quality, but personally I would like to see some more F/2.0 or larger primes.

There's only so much they can do without increasing the diameter, which they are loath to do.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The 16mm is interesting, even though it's right in the middle of my 22/2 and Samyang 12/2 ... so not really needed.

The 56mm is the most exciting for me. I had sworn off buying any more lenses native to the mount, but this could be a nice portrait prime for the system, depending on price/size.

Of these three, I think I'd agree, the 56mm is most interesting.

I think I'm pretty much done buying EF-M lenses (I got three within the last week, all Canon offerings) for the moment. What I'm still missing (from the standpoint of a hypothetical someone who treats it like a coin collection and collects them all) are the two zooms and the 28mm macro. The zooms are covered by my 18-200 Tamron (unless someone has a good reason to say the Canon lenses are superior). And I personally don't have a use for a 28mm macro, but if someone put a gun to my head and ordered me to buy another Canon EF-M lens, that'd be the one I'd get.

Upvote 0
The EF-M 55-200 is an excellent lens.

Agreed. It seems you can have a bright aperture or a compact lens. The 70-200 f4 adapted is not ridiculously large, but the fe-m 55-200 is absolutely tiny comparatively. I've made quite a few trips with the 55-200 and 22mm and never really felt I compromised.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I've been surprised at how slow Canon has been to produce EF-M lenses. The current line up appears to be good quality, but personally I would like to see some more F/2.0 or larger primes.

I got tired of waiting and bought..

Attachments

• ADCD403A-436E-4288-A964-A6E585AD891B.jpeg
    ADCD403A-436E-4288-A964-A6E585AD891B.jpeg
    752.9 KB · Views: 1,069
Upvote 0
I'd like to see Canon get past 200mm in the EF-M mount. Imagine a tiny little equivalent to the 100-400... I agree with the commenter who mentioned earlier that they were hoping for a nice compact travel system but it still hasn't surfaced. Canon has to date released more M series bodies (10) than EF-M lenses (8) in the seven years that the M line has been on the market. That's frustrating as hell for those of us that adopted it for its size.

Upvote 0

How many times do we have to say this... the M line is for small size, relatively low price, and the consumer market. I doubt there will be many if any wide aperture EF-M lenses, they are too niche for the intended audience. Sorry!

Can't decide if I'm happy or sad. Why ALWAYS wide angle??
After all those years, we STILL do not have a good EF-M tele. 70-200/4 for example.
In 2012 we thought we are going to have decent compact system for travel eventually. Well, still no.

Similar to the above, but also - there was never an EF-S 70-200 f/4 or anything like it. There's little to be gained by making an APS-C version, and the market is probably too small for it to be worth their while.

I'd like to see Canon get past 200mm in the EF-M mount. Imagine a tiny little equivalent to the 100-400...

And again but even more so.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Agreed. It seems you can have a bright aperture or a compact lens. The 70-200 f4 adapted is not ridiculously large, but the fe-m 55-200 is absolutely tiny comparatively. I've made quite a few trips with the 55-200 and 22mm and never really felt I compromised.

It (70-200mm f/4L) doesn’t look too terrible mounted on a M5. Surely weight balance is a negative but nothing someone couldn’t get over with time.

Attachments

• C3E8BE71-AF9D-47AB-8B50-F811AF2BAAE0.jpeg
    C3E8BE71-AF9D-47AB-8B50-F811AF2BAAE0.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 593
Upvote 0
And yet even the most basic telephoto kit lenses in Canon's EF-S line exceed 200mm. An EF-M equivalent to the 75-300 would even be a quantum leap forward. Doesn't stop me from longing for, well, longer, of course. Hence my statement about imagining a tiny 100-400 equivalent. Doesn't make it any more likely. But still...

The M series cameras are capable of taking very good photos. I know that I'm not supposed to utter such blasphemy on the fan pages, but I ditched my old DSLR mainly because I found myself carrying my M3 a lot more often. But its an inarguable point that, in terms of lens selection, the M line is something of a bastard stepchild in Canon's lineup, as they've never really fully supported it beyond some very basic parameters.

And again but even more so.

In truth, Canon has given the entirety of the APS-C lineup the cold shoulder, and sold a bunch of cameras in spite of themselves. They've only produced 12 EF-S crop sensor-native lenses since 2003 (22 if you count multiple versions of the same lens), compared to 34 camera bodies. But they also had a good lineup of compact full-frame lenses to lean on as well. A great example would be the 75-300. I didn't realize until just now when I did some digging that they've never produced an EF-S equivalent. They were so common as the telephoto lens in twin lens kits for so long that I just expected that they were EF-S native.

I can't speak for everyone, but size certainly played into my decision to go solely with the M series. I am presently shooting mainly with an M50, which I have had GREAT success with. Most of the time, I shoot with my 16-35 f/2.8L, and try not to think too much about size. But there are times when size makes a difference for me. The EF-M lineup doesn't have a full frame infrastructure to fall back on beyond what's available in the EF lens lineup. And the size difference there is glaring. Canon COULD do more. And they haven't. Whether by laziness or (more likely) perceived lack of market, the end result is still the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
How many times do we have to say this... the M line is for small size, relatively low price, and the consumer market. I doubt there will be many if any wide aperture EF-M lenses, they are too niche for the intended audience. Sorry!

maybe we are tired of this blind defense of small size.
if fuji can, so does canon.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0