Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=13353"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=13353">Tweet</a></div>
<strong>RONKONKOMA, NY, Apr. 18, 2013</strong> — Sigma Corporation of America ([url=http://www.sigmaphoto.com]www.sigmaphoto.com[/url]), a leading researcher, developer, manufacturer and service provider for some of the world’s most impressive lines of lenses, cameras and flashes, today announced the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art lens, the market’s first zoom lens to achieve a maximum aperture F1.8 throughout the entire zoom range.</p>
<p>This revolutionary, wide aperture, standard zoom lens is created for DSLR cameras with APS-C size sensors, which translates to a focal range of 27-52.5mm on a 35mm camera. With a minimum focusing distance of 11 inches, and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:4.3, the 18-35mm is ideal for landscapes, portraits, still-life, studio, close-up and casual photography.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p>“Exceptionally fast apertures were previously unavailable in zoom lenses, so photographers turned to several prime lenses in a session to get bright images at various focal lengths. We’re incredibly excited to be the first manufacturer to bring the F1.8 standard zoom to the market and to provide photographers with a new level of creativity and convenience, with the outstanding image quality at the core of the new Sigma Global Vision,” said Mark Amir-Hamzeh, president of Sigma Corporation of America.</p>
<p>Amir-Hamzeh added that because developing a large aperture wide angle zoom lens can prove to be technologically and optically challenging, often resulting in various distortions, aberrations and field curvature, Sigma has tapped into its long history as a lens pioneer to overcome those issues in this new generation lens.</p>
<p>“Our experience with the wide angle designs of our 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM and our 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM, and our research and development in our Aizu factory have prepared us for this technological advancement,” he said. “Our wide, glass-molded aspherical lens and the incorporation of Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass have optimized power distribution of the optical elements and compensated for various aberrations, as well as curvature of field at the widest angle. We’re extremely proud of this achievement.”</p>
<p>The 18-35mm is the latest addition to the company’s company’s Art line of lenses, designed under the new Global Vision. The Global Vision lenses have a sleek new design with the manufacturing year stamped on the barrel, and are categorized by use into one of three groups: Art, Contemporary and Sports. The Art category delivers high-level artistic expression through sophisticated and abundant expressive power.</p>
<p>The new 18-35mm lens incorporates Sigma’s improved AF/MF switch and the use of Thermally Stable Composite (TSC) compound material, which has a high affinity to metal parts, consistently performs well at extreme temperatures, and reduces the size and weight of the lens. It is also compatible with Sigma’s new USB Dock, which will be available in coming months, enabling photographers to update lens firmware and adjust focus parameters from their computers.</p>
<p>Convenient handling is achieved with internal focusing and zooming, which prevents changes to the size of the lens. Additionally, the front part of the lens does not rotate, so special filters like circular polarizers can be used.</p>
<p>The 18-35mm lens’ Super Multi-Layer Coating reduces flare and ghosting and provides sharp and high contrast images, even in backlit conditions. The petal-type hood that is supplied with the lens will provide extra protection from flare and ghosting. Sigma’s Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) ensures a silent, high-speed AF function and the optimized auto focus algorithm results in smooth focusing and full-time manual focusing capability. Lastly, the nine-blade, rounded diaphragm creates an attractive, round bokeh at large-aperture settings.</p>

I can just imagine Canon & Nikon engineers staring at their screens in disbelief. Sigma engineers have managed to crack some code to lens making. I have the Sigma 35mm f/1.4, just tested the new Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and can't wait for this. Amazing lenses Sigma, now please give me a nice 50mm lens because I am not at all happy with my Canon 50mm. At least my Canon 85mm is great.

Upvote 0
I'm really excited about this lens, and I don't even own a crop body. I'm excited about the implications for the future. If this lens can be produced and has good optics (which will be the real issue), it raises so many interesting implications for the future.

A 27-55mm, or even 27-50mm f/1.8 FF lens would be absolutely amazing if it had good optics. Once the technology is out there, reverse engineering means that this advance will soon be in the hands of other manufacturers. The very nature of putting out an APS-C only lens means that the price has got to be somewhat reasonable, as there are not (to my knowledge) many APS-C lenses over a thousand dollars US.

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
18mm? What the heck is it with these idiotic lens makers. We've got the 17-55, 18-55, 18-135, 18-200, 18-270 and now 18-35. What do we have that starts at 24mm-equivalent? The only one I own - the 15-85IS.

f/1.8 sounds interesting, but not if it starts at 18mm!!!

Pass.

Well clearly they sell plenty of 17- and 18-something zooms, so I don't know if I'd go so far as to call them idiotic... it seems to be working. For most people the extra 3.2 or 4.8 mm don't seem to be make-or-break, and if they're that big a deal, they probably have a 10-something to get even wider...

I for one, am excited to see what this lens can do optically, and what Canon and/or Nikon might do in response. Suddenly a 2.8 zoom isn't as fast as it gets, and if they can do it in an 18-35 (much wider than "normal"), I'd be really curious to see what a 50-100 might look like for indoor sports. (doesn't have to go wide-tele, just normal-tele, still only 2x zoom, but could be very useful). Even if this came in at $1000, with similar optics, I'd consider giving up the extra 20mm of my 17-55 to get the extra stop-and-a-third of light from this lens.

Upvote 0
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
I'm really excited about this lens, and I don't even own a crop body. I'm excited about the implications for the future. If this lens can be produced and has good optics (which will be the real issue), it raises so many interesting implications for the future.

A 27-55mm, or even 27-50mm f/1.8 FF lens would be absolutely amazing if it had good optics. Once the technology is out there, reverse engineering means that this advance will soon be in the hands of other manufacturers. The very nature of putting out an APS-C only lens means that the price has got to be somewhat reasonable, as there are not (to my knowledge) many APS-C lenses over a thousand dollars US.

Actually, the equivalent 135 format wouldn't need to be f/1.8. Remember that the crop format means greater depth of field and more noise, so add about a stop and a half to that f/1.8...and you're right at about the equivalent of the familiar f/2.8 of standard fast zooms for 135 format.

Don't get me worng; it's great to see fast glass coming to APS-C, and it's great to see Sigma throwing mud in the big boys's eyes. But "all" they've done is give APS-C some glass as fast (for the format) as what 135 has had for ages. It's high past somebody did this, but it's high past time precisely because it's no more remarkable than an f/2.8 zoom for 135 format.

Now, an f/1.8 zoom for 135, or an f/1.0 zoom for APS-C...that would be something truly remarkable....

Cheers,

b&

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
18mm? What the heck is it with these idiotic lens makers. We've got the 17-55, 18-55, 18-135, 18-200, 18-270 and now 18-35. What do we have that starts at 24mm-equivalent? The only one I own - the 15-85IS.

Pass.

First of all, this is the dumbest gripe I've read in a while. If you're that unhappy, get a FF with a 24-70 and stop whining.

Second, it's not even a valid gripe, as Tokina has a 16-28mm constant F2.8 that gets excellent reviews on crop. Are you really that concerned about the difference between 25.6 and 24?

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
TrumpetPower! said:
Don't get me worng; it's great to see fast glass coming to APS-C, and it's great to see Sigma throwing mud in the big boys's eyes. But "all" they've done is give APS-C some glass as fast (for the format) as what 135 has had for ages. It's high past somebody did this, but it's high past time precisely because it's no more remarkable than an f/2.8 zoom for 135 format.

Now, an f/1.8 zoom for 135, or an f/1.0 zoom for APS-C...that would be something truly remarkable.
And insanely heavy, expensive, etc. I'm only aware of Sigma's 20mm f/1.8 as something that fast, that wide, and it has an 82mm filter. It's also not a good lens. Obviously 24mm f/1.4 is doable by several companies. Perhaps a 24-70 f/1.8 zoom would be doable for full-frame, but, I can only imagine the weight and price.

That said, should be much easier for APS-C; I'm hoping the results are good, because I'd definitely buy one

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
shutterlag said:
Lee Jay said:

Pass.

First of all, this is the dumbest gripe I've read in a while. If you're that unhappy, get a FF with a 24-70 and stop whining.

I have a 24-105.

Second, it's not even a valid gripe, as Tokina has a 16-28mm constant F2.8 that gets excellent reviews on crop. Are you really that concerned about the difference between 25.6 and 24?

Yes, I am.

My point is, in the film days, only the cheapest kit zooms started at 28, and all the rest started at 24. The same is true now of full-frame lenses (24-70, 24-105 versus 28-135). But on crop, even the expensive lenses start at 27 or 28. I won't buy one, and it's a stupid limitation. The 17-55 could easily have been a 15-50. The 18-35 could have been a 15-30.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
shutterlag said:

Yeah, especially since this zoom would do things a 15-85 can't touch; it'd be reasonable to own both as they would be for very different situations.

And since I can't imagine it'd be that great for night photography at 15mm f/1.8 instead of 18mm f/1.8, seems a moot point.
Lee Jay said:
The 17-55 could easily have been a 15-50. The 18-35 could have been a 15-30.
Well, if you're willing to pay about 40% more, than 15-85 is gettable instead of 17-85. But, if you start adding 40% to all the prices of the Sigma/Tamron/etc lenses that go 17-50, most people wouldn't but them. It's one thing to get a $4-500 OS f/2.8 zoom; but by the time it's $6-700 there are other ways to go. Likewise if the 17-55 was a 15-50 that cost $1500. Going those extra few mm's means bigger glass, and more expensive lenses.

If it was so easy to make 15mm zooms, then why is Canon the only one that does?

Upvote 0
It's not THAT revolutionary, Olympus have had a 14-35mm F/2 for their DSLRs for a good while and that's unbelievably good quality. I know a professional press photographer who shoots Olympus specifically for that lens.

I don't think Canon would invest their money in pursuing a lens like this, unless Nikon came out with one. I feel Canon would rather make more Rebels with no upgraded features than invest in their devoted/professional crop body shooters. Canon like to deal in extremes, ignorant amateur or needy professional.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I was flummoxed when I heard that this thing is APS-C only. Why?! If this is a premium lens aimed at serious shooters, why go crop? This is not a screaming need for the relatively few APS-C guys who spend big money on glass (i.e. birders, sports guys), so I can't make heads or tails of this.

Why not push for (idk) a 24-50 F/2 for the FF guys? That would likely have a larger interest level.

- A

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
I think what has happened is that Canon's pricing policies have become SO absurd that is has given some astute tech. and money managers at Sigma the ability to realize that they have a lot more wiggle room to make a great product and still be super competitive in price to big read. (it also shows how ridiculous Canon's pricing has become). I do not own a crop body either, but I do LOVE the appearance of this lens! Hope the IQ and price/performance ratio are right up there with the Sigma 35mm, f/1.4 that I own and absolutely love. This can be nothing but good for all of us! Can't wait to see what the next lens is in the new Art Line!!!!!!! ;D

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
preppyak said:
shutterlag said:

Yeah, especially since this zoom would do things a 15-85 can't touch; it'd be reasonable to own both as they would be for very different situations.

And since I can't imagine it'd be that great for night photography at 15mm f/1.8 instead of 18mm f/1.8, seems a moot point.
Lee Jay said:
The 17-55 could easily have been a 15-50. The 18-35 could have been a 15-30.
Well, if you're willing to pay about 40% more, than 15-85 is gettable instead of 17-85. But, if you start adding 40% to all the prices of the Sigma/Tamron/etc lenses that go 17-50, most people wouldn't but them. It's one thing to get a $4-500 OS f/2.8 zoom; but by the time it's $6-700 there are other ways to go. Likewise if the 17-55 was a 15-50 that cost $1500. Going those extra few mm's means bigger glass, and more expensive lenses.

If it was so easy to make 15mm zooms, then why is Canon the only one that does?

Oh, brother.

You realize that 10-20, 10-22, 8-16 and 12-24 are all available in crop lenses, right?

Going a little wider isn't that big a deal, especially if you maintain the total zoom ratio. Longer is harder with fast lenses as the absolute aperture diameter has to be larger, which is why 70-200s are so expensive.

Upvote 0
This is great for crop shooters. However, before everyone gets excited over the f/1.8 bit, you have to remember that f/1.8 on a crop sensor is nothing like f/1.8 on a FF sensor. This lens will give the same angle of view, image noise for given exposure parameters (*1), depth of field at a given AOV and subject distance (*2), etc. etc. etc. as a 28-50mm f/2.8 full frame lens.

In other words, if the lenses and sensors are perfect, this lens on a crop sensor would give identical results to a 28-50mm f/2.8 on a FF sensor. However, lens and sensor imperfections actually favor the larger format sensor, so don't expect this lens to give anything as good as the 24-70 f/2.8 original or the tamron.

Still, its great improvement for crop shooters (if it keeps up with recent Sigma trends), and should be relatively compact.

(*1) This considers photon shot noise only and assumes photos are rescaled to same resolution when printed.
(*2) At non-macro distances

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.