CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM</p>
<p>Introducing the light bazooka-a new approach to the ultra-telephoto zoom</p>
<ol>
<li>Top performance with the specification and functionality of a more expensive unit</li>
<li>Compact packaging with uncompromising image quality</li>
<li>Push/pull zoom mechanism incorporated</li>
<li>Telephoto plus macro functionality</li>
<li>Other features</li>
</ol>
<p><strong>A compact body and top performance in one complete package</strong></p>
<p>An ultra-telephoto lens with an optical stabilizer (OS) system has several advantages. The OS allows the photographer to take photographs in unstable circumstances. The narrow angle of view makes it possible to dramatically compress perspective and flexible handling of the background. The photographer can thereby make the subject appear to jump out of the image, with the area in focus impressively sharp and clear. Nevertheless, ultra-telephoto lenses have traditionally had some disadvantages as well. As the nickname “bazooka” implies, they have tended to be big, heavy, and therefore burdensome to carry around. With the goal of creating an ultra-telephoto lens that is far more accessible, SIGMA incorporated all of its latest technologies into SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary. With its outstanding combination of optical performance and compactness, this is an ultra-telephoto lens that is a joy to carry and use. While keeping the robust functionality and exceptional image quality of an ultra-telephoto zoom lens intact, SIGMA has achieved amazingly compact packaging enclosing 400mm optics. Introducing the new and greatly enhanced “light bazooka” ultra-telephoto zoom lens.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p>SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary offers the compact size, lightweight, and high cost performance of a 70-300mm lens while delivering 400mm telephoto performance. This approach results in a tempting new ultra-telephoto choice for photographers. Offering a combination of stunning image quality and outstanding functionality, this lens satisfies the needs of pros and amateurs alike.</p>
<p>【Key features】</p>
<ol>
<li>Top performance with the specification and functionality of a more expensive unit</li>
</ol>
<p>Since its release, the SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary has won photographers over with its strong fundamental performance and exceptional image quality. The new lens retains all of this performance in a compact 400mm ultra-telephoto zoom package with a filter size of just ⌀67mm and weight of just 1,160g. Yet it also comes with the full range of features and functions expected of an ultra-telephoto zoom: optical stabilizer (OS), hypersonic motor (HSM) with updated algorithm for fast autofocus, focus limiter, and more. In addition, this uncompromising specification becomes customizable with the available SIGMA USB Dock accessory.</p>
<ol start="2">
<li>Compact packaging with uncompromising image quality</li>
</ol>
<p>In designing this lens, SIGMA strived to push both compactness and image quality to the limit. Four SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass lens elements and an optimized power distribution help minimize optical aberrations. Moreover, by taking special care to minimize transverse chromatic aberration, which cannot be corrected via aperture control, SIGMA has ensured outstanding image quality throughout the zoom range.</p>
<ol start="3">
<li>Push/pull zoom mechanism incorporated</li>
</ol>
<p>For quick control of the angle of view, the zoom ring incorporates a push/pull mechanism in addition to the regular twist mechanism. The exclusive lens hood has also been designed to accommodate push/pull zooming and overall lens maneuverability. By making it possible to adjust the angle of view instantly, this lens gives photographers an even better chance of getting that crucial shot.</p>
<ol start="4">
<li>Telephoto plus macro functionality</li>
</ol>
<p>With a minimum shooting distance of 160cm and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:3.8, this lens can shoot either from a distance or up close.</p>
<ol start="5">
<li>Other features</li>
</ol>
<ul>
<li>Dust- and splash-proof mount</li>
</ul>
<p>Since the area of the lens most vulnerable to dust and other foreign bodies is the mount, rubber sealing helps provide peace of mind.</p>
<ul>
<li>All-new optical stabilizer (OS) unit with exclusive algorithm</li>
</ul>
<p>Featuring a newly developed gyroscopic sensor and a new and exclusive algorithm, the all-new OS unit provides a powerful stabilization effect. An acceleration sensor detects camera shake in any direction—horizontal, vertical, or diagonal. This technology allows the OS to stabilize the image very effectively, regardless of whether the camera is being held in horizontal or vertical orientation.</p>
<ul>
<li>Nikon electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism included</li>
</ul>
<p>The Nikon mount version of this lens includes an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism that allows it to receive the appropriate signals from the camera body. This feature ensures precision diaphragm control and stable Auto Exposure (AE) performance during continuous shooting.</p>
<p>Note: Functionality may be limited on some camera bodies.</p>
<ul>
<li>Rounded diaphragm</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>Designed to minimize flare and ghosting</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>Compatible with the newly developed tele converters</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>Fast AF with full-time manual override</li>
</ul>
<p>Note: The operation of full-time MF may vary based on mount type</p>
<ul>
<li>Compatible with Mount Converter MC-11</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>Available SIGMA USB DOCK (Makes customization and flexible adjustment possible)</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>Available Mount Conversion Service (Allows use with another camera body)</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>High-precision, durable brass bayonet mount</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>Evaluation with SIGMA’s own MTF measuring system “A1”</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>Made in Japan (With outstanding craftsmanship)</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>The lens barrel is engraved with the year of release</li>
</ul>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Valandil1983 said:
Push/pull mechanism refers to that "air-pump"-like zoom mechanism as in the original canon 100-400, right? That's actually nice, I always liked that method in a long telezoom. Also, no word on pricing yet or did I miss that?

From the photos, it is a conventional twist zoom. But from the looks of the hood, it has a grip on it which you could use for a push pull system if desired.

Also, I think we are stuck waiting until CP+ that starts on the 23rd.

Attachments

• 3073554694.jpg
    3073554694.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 3,240
Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
-1 said:
AvTvM said:
Chaitanya said:
Same level of weather sealing as 100mm L macro(better than nothing).

How do you know/conclude this? Cannot find a statement to this effect?

http://tinyurl.com/z5jn7sj

it says only:
Mount with dust- and splash-proof construction

But no reference to Canon EF 100/2.8 L Macro sealing ... that's why i am asking.

Upvote 0

Dec 18, 2014
AvTvM said:
-1 said:
AvTvM said:
Chaitanya said:

http://tinyurl.com/z5jn7sj

it says only:
Mount with dust- and splash-proof construction

But no reference to Canon EF 100/2.8 L Macro sealing ... that's why i am asking.

Sigma doesn't specifies the quality of the sealing but further down the spec list:

"Physical
Weight 1160 g (2.56 lb)
Diameter 86 mm (3.4″)
Length 182 mm (7.18″)
Sealing Yes
Colour Black
Zoom method Push/Pull (extending)"

Upvote 0

dufflover

OH YEAH!
Nov 10, 2013
Australia
I find it kinda interesting they're competing on this front given the money required to develop and build any lens in the line up. I guess enough people were put off by the size or weight of the 150-600 varieties?

But it does seem to make more sense as a 70-300L competitor ("bonus 100mm for the size") rather than 100-400 as such (obviously much more expensive and bigger, etc.)

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
AvTvM said:
Chaitanya said:

Its a contemporary lens and dont think it will get full weather resistant treatment found on Sport line up of lens. Generally that means only mount gasket present to prevent moisture from entering the camera. Canon 100mm L also has similar level of weather(moisture resistant mount gasket) sealing only more expensive super telephoto lenses get full weather sealing protecting every part of lens.
Here is an example of what sealing on 150-600 Sport looks like:
Sigma-150-600mm-DG-OS-HSM-weather-sealing.jpg

Sharlin said:
So they are finally giving at least some form of sealing to non-S lenses too? Apparently the new 135mm A has weather sealing as well.
85mm Art also came with moisture seals also 150-600mm C was also moisture sealed. its good to see Sigma changing stance on weather/moisture seals on their non-S lenses.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
-1 said:
AlanF said:
There are more specs on the Sigma global site. It's dust and splash resistant. The MTFs on paper look good, better at 400mm than the 150-600mm C at 600mm.

Yeah all right and shobidoah but were is the lens collar?

According to the specs, there isn't one. As I've mentioned in another thread, that is a pain as I like to have both the camera and telephoto mounts attached to a Black Rapid strap. Nevertheless, this will be on my shopping list as lightweight for me when I am travelling (most likely with the M5) and for my wife who finds the 100-400mm II rather heavy. The M-mount adapter has a tripod foot.

Upvote 0
dufflover said:
I find it kinda interesting they're competing on this front given the money required to develop and build any lens in the line up. I guess enough people were put off by the size or weight of the 150-600 varieties?

But it does seem to make more sense as a 70-300L competitor ("bonus 100mm for the size") rather than 100-400 as such (obviously much more expensive and bigger, etc.)

I was reluctantly set on a the canon 100-400ii, with the majority of use being my wife since I already have the Sigma 150-600C. If this lens is anything optically like my 150-600C, but in a far lighter package I will for sure be picking this up for her and at a far cheaper price point then the canon version. For us, this is a direct competitor to the Canon 100-400ii and as of right now anyway, I'm pretty sure won (for us).

Upvote 0
I know marketing speak is usually drivel, but "ultra telephoto", really? While not strictly defined, we tend to use the term 'super telephoto' for anything over ~400mm. So why the need for such hyperbole? It's neither longer at the long and than most super-teles, nor is the zoom ratio (if that is what they are referring to) 'ultra' by anyone's standards. *Sigh*

Upvote 0