SIGMA Announces the 14mm F1.8 DG HSM Art Series Lens

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong>A true high-speed lens that delivers a new dimension of visual experience</strong></p>
<p><span class="green">*Among interchangeable lens for digital SLRs as of February 2017</span></p>
<ol>
<li>14mm ultra-wide angle of view and F1.8 brightness deliver a new dimension of visual experience</li>
<li>Seventh 35mm full-frame prime lens to join the Art line</li>
<li>Other features</li>
</ol>
<p><strong>A true high-speed lens that delivers a new dimension of visual experience</strong></p>
<p>In taking photographs of starry skies or other celestial scenes at night, or of the seashore with a wide perspective, a large-diameter lens is a strong ally, since it allows the capture of a moving subject by adjusting shutter speed without relying on ISO sensitivity. With its full-frame 35mm coverage, 14mm focal length for an ultra-wide angle of view, F2 barrier-breaking F1.8, the SIGMA 14mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art is the true high-speed ultra-wide-angle lens for which so many photographers have been waiting. Although some zoom lenses are available that can cover 14mm, the large diameter delivering F1.8 brightness is a singular advantage. Going beyond fast shutter speed, this lens can capture a swarm of fireflies with crystal clarity, a beautiful bokeh effect, and outstanding control of light streaking.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p>【Key features】</p>
<ol>
<li>14mm ultra-wide angle of view and F1.8 brightness deliver a new dimension of visual experience</li>
</ol>
<p>By leveraging its extreme angle of view and the dramatic perspective this creates, an ultra-wide-angle lens can get up close and personal with a subject while at the same time taking in a vast background—an example of photography going beyond normal human vision.</p>
<p>SIGMA 14mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art combines the extremely deep depth of field that comes from an ultra-wide angle of view with the extremely shallow depth of field that comes from F1.8 brightness. The result is a sharply captured subject set against a vast background dramatically blurred with a beautiful bokeh effect. It is a highly impressive mode of photographic expression that until now simply has not existed.</p>
<ul>
<li>Minimized chromatic aberrations</li>
</ul>
<p>Three FLD (“F” Low Dispersion) glass elements and four SLD (Super Low Dispersion) glass elements help minimize transverse chromatic aberration, which tends to be noticeable in shots taken with ultra-wide-angle lenses. The result is outstanding image quality from the center of the image to the edges.</p>
<ul>
<li>Featuring a large-diameter aspherical lens element</li>
</ul>
<p>The SIGMA 12-24mmF4 DG HSM | Art was the first SIGMA lens to feature a large ⌀80mm aspherical lens element. Building on the expertise derived from this success, the new lens features a large ⌀80mm precision-molded glass aspherical lens as its front element. This technology has made possible the 14mm F1.8 specification—the first of its kind.</p>
<ul>
<li>Minimized distortion</li>
</ul>
<p>Serving as the front lens element, the large ⌀80mm precision-molded glass aspherical lens effectively minimizes distortion. Offering excellent peripheral brightness, this lens delivers outstanding image quality from the center to the edges.</p>
<ul>
<li>Distinctive bokeh effect</li>
</ul>
<p>Even at the 14mm ultra-wide-angle of view, F1.8 brightness makes possible a very shallow depth of field with the subject standing out dramatically against a bokeh background. It’s the unique mode of expression that only a large-diameter lens can deliver.</p>
<ol start="2">
<li>Seventh 35mm full-frame prime lens to join the Art line</li>
</ol>
<p>Launched in 2012, the SIGMA 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art was the first lens in the Art line. Since then, SIGMA has developed a wide variety of lenses for the line, and the SIGMA 14mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art is the seventh prime lens in the line to offer 35mm full-frame coverage. Now even stronger, the Art line sets the new standard for prime lenses in the ultra-high-megapixel era.</p>
<ol start="3">
<li>Other features</li>
</ol>
<ul>
<li>Fast AF with full-time manual override</li>
</ul>
<p>Note: The operation of full-time MF may vary based on mount type</p>
<ul>
<li>Compatible with Mount Converter MC-11</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>Available SIGMA USB DOCK (Makes customization and flexible adjustment possible)</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>Available Mount Conversion Service (Allows use with another camera body)</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>Rounded diaphragm</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>Designed to minimize flare and ghosting</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>High-precision, durable brass bayonet mount</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>Evaluation with SIGMA’s own MTF measuring system “A1”</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>Made in Japan (With outstanding craftsmanship)</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>The lens barrel is engraved with the year of release</li>
</ul>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Re: SIGMA 14mm F1.8 DG HSM Introducing the World’s First and Only F1.8 Ultra-Wide-Angle Lens

uri.raz said:
"F" Low Distortion? Is that the nice way to say effing low distortion? :p

It's "Low Dispersion" actually, not "Low Distortion". The Sigma claim that the FLD glass has a performance equal to fluorite glass seems a bit exaggerated to me, I strongly doubt it's actually "equal".

Nice lens! Let's see how much it will cost...

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2015
low light Documentary, low light crowd shots, tight architectural shots, reception and dance foor.... here is one at 16mm, about a meter distance to subject. perspective distortion was fixed in post.

7eoXflsY62E7ePuQKekxt6PPZkowdnc3x0nLXMxIe68Td3ZazQW8gnLdMnLZ8D2Ifrud0WLxuGYTkpaBnHgIwqAP9KohSumJR72qATHrYJpNP8WJDoeJFpqenMm5smLWdJ6g-WAVc-0WvmcgXcCvELgQEjUtQwDmYoLbxfsUF1jzVLXO-G8Z-lOUKioq7znzexZrCFxI3RmaXoOMv3B6efy3G6Y4k2n4coqrJzLz5S2XtDY69giSw-KkztgE-nMH3gmWKIFKreabdzfPini43h0gPrxD2XZhJDWn_MxPDEcpX-TRvGAu3bAa4Zxj5xKaDJ5NsW6H0MD7CareWA6u4oxYgdDtdFukQ0X--qCAOAm7Ske-gVeJ0tB9rX3H4Sfo4B8b-Kibja9CaBnWWukzBF31DBQbVJtfueBgYJL3LRtiXexGVdWo3HeddbQ18sPM_lmar1YLfRPAVC6URyIRkfthmYKoktVQR4q-HXe_foEoXr9F26CaKQyU98k6BUtaE1VXduAMQFzx8U-K7Pqp9zrgJQBJBIaGlPT-lqnKRMczsYrOBNAeLz9Af5nOfEmwY1NHe1mavpFTdHghSySYsQufK1D0hJtn-CyItlzoSrMt_PBs9CoAeie0m00lvWhhyu4ELpJ8myyoVkIlsoVCgK7vHK9eP7pBpwNYnebgqw=w1457-h971-no

Upvote 0
i can give you a hint:

Sigma Art glass is typically priced at around a $1.00 per each gramm of the lens weight. so around $1100 -$1150 is a good price guestimate.

NorbR said:
I hate announcements that give no clue about price and no time frame for availability. It's teasing, and it's annoying :mad:

That being said, I'm still first in line for this lens, as long as the price remains reasonable of course ;D

Upvote 0
Alex_M said:
i can give you a hint:

Sigma Art glass is typically priced at around a $1.00 per each gramm of the lens weight. so around $1100 -$1150 is a good price guestimate.

I'd take that ;)
I honestly expect it to come at a higher price. It looks similar to the 12-24mm, both physically and in terms of optical design (same number of elements, same aspherical big-ass front element), so I expect it to get a similar price tag, around $1600. Of course I hope I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
I doubt that sigma will price this lens at the level of 12-24 lens. You are correct lens are similarly designed and constructed. Still prime vs zoom. Around $1250-1300. Ok. possible. Interestingly enough, street price for 12-24 Art in Australia is only around US$1250.

NorbR said:
Alex_M said:
i can give you a hint:

I'd take that ;)
I honestly expect it to come at a higher price. It looks similar to the 12-24mm, both physically and in terms of optical design (same number of elements, same aspherical big-ass front element), so I expect it to get a similar price tag, around $1600. Of course I hope I'm wrong.

Upvote 0