Skylum shows off adaptive templates for Luminar AI

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
NEW YORK, NY — October 1, 2020 — With traditional photo editors, creating the perfect photo is a time-consuming process that involves moving dozens of sliders. Many seek to use presets to speed this up, but there are severe limitations. Presets tend to only work on images that are virtually identical to the original.
To change this tedious and frustrating process, innovative companies race to embrace Artificial Intelligence. But some creatives have been sceptical about its effectiveness and limitations. Their fears center around a loss of control and homogenization of creative output. This does not need to be the case if AI is properly trained.
Learn more about Skylum’s LuminarAI

With Luminar AI, Artificial Intelligence is woven throughout the entire editing process. The AI has been trained with expert input from artists, photographers, colorists and scientists. Luminar AI offers creatives the ability to save time and...

Continue reading...

I bought Luminar 4 mainly to make sky replacement easier - my one sky shots that is, not Luminar's. I have no interest in Luminar AI; Skylum should concentrate on getting Luminar 4 to work first; it's still painfully slow at times.

As to sky replacement; Adobe are bring something similar to Luminar's soon which will no doubt be just as effective & much quicker.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Read more carefully. Luminar AI has a perpetual license. There is a program called Luminar X which is subscription based. Its a optional extra feature package.

View attachment 193085

Don't be silly. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Software development costs money and they will make you pay or leave in a couple of years time by ceasing support for new camera gear, high-cost upgrade offer and many other tricks.

Luminar is notorious for costing more in a long run compared to Lightroom, even despite being a much more shittiеr software when it comes to rendering and performance.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Don't be silly. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Software development costs money and they will make you pay or leave in a couple of years time by ceasing support for new camera gear, high-cost upgrade offer and many other tricks.

Luminar is notorious for costing more in a long run compared to Lightroom, even despite being a much more shittiеr software when it comes to rendering and performance.
I did not reply to you, I pointed out that it was not a subscription model as the poster said. That is a fact. As far as overall cost over the years, If you think $70 every year or two is going to kill a person with the high cost, then watch out for the cost of a camera, lenses and accessories. The cost of the software is peanuts.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I was very excited about Luminar 4 since I own a Luminar 3 license. However, I downloaded Luminar 4, installed it and the program never comes up. I only see the splash screen and that's it. I tried all kinds of things, multiple installations before and after uninstalling Luminar 3, updating Windows 10, etc and nothing. I waited about a month, downloaded the latest update and same deal. I finally gave up. I honestly do not use it very often. LrC does most of what I need. I will keep an eye for the next update because the demo videos from their site were quite cool.

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
I have Luminar 4 and have been using Luminar since the first release of 3 but stopped using it since it is too slow as compared to others.

I'm running 32gb of ram and an AMD 3900x so I have plenty of processing power and Ssd's and nvme drives as well.

One thing is for certain..Luminar needs to get GPU's into the mix when it comes time to process images.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
What do they say about insanity? Trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

This has been my exxperience with this software. I’ve tried version after version and have never found it to be anything I would want to use on a regular basis. It just isn’t very good.

That’s just me. YMMV.

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
What do they say about insanity? Trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

This has been my exxperience with this software. I’ve tried version after version and have never found it to be anything I would want to use on a regular basis. It just isn’t very good.

That’s just me. YMMV.

I received Lum 4 free when I purchased a couple Fuji lenses. I would otherwise not own Lum4 because of the lack of GPU processing

Upvote 0

RickD

EOS R6
Aug 27, 2016
I use Luminar 4 and quite like it. It does fall short on small usability aspects, like using arrow keys to navigate through the filters and make incremental slider adjustments, but I can work around that. It can also be a little slow processing images, especially some of the large panoramas I shoot, but then I'm using it on a 7 year old PC.

All in all, a decent program, you just have to scale back on the full effect of the filters, and be willing to play around a little more to really get what you want out of it

Upvote 0
I know things like sky replacement are common, but feels like ... cheating? the sky didn't look like that!

I know what you mean. Many years back, Aperture Priority and Matrix Metering with Nikon's FA felt like cheating too. We're heading into a different artistic paradigm, photography will become more akin to illustration going forward.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Mixed feelings about Luminar. I've supported it from version 1. Upgrades have got more expensive, not much feature improvement. It's more of a platform for selling presets (which are not great). I think presets maybe suit the image it was set up for but doesn't work so well for other images. Sky replacement is good but Adobe have spotted that and are at last reacting to it. Sky replacement is a bit of a moral quagmire. It's been around a while and maybe we've been fooled by images that we thought were real but are actually sky replacements. Going forward we won't believe authentic images as we will be swamped with swapped skies. For me personally Abode Photoshop / Lightroom is good value for money as I use it all the time. It's better value for money that Luminar because I don't use Luminar that often. The switch to Luminar AI has left a little bit of bad taste in Luminar 4 users. There are certain issues unresolved in Luminar 4. They could have called the next version Luminar 5 and had their normal upgrade charge but they are charging alot more for switching, got it months in advance of being ready and we have bought a pig in a poke. Its jumped on the bandwagon of AI but may not turn out to be much of an improvement. I can't see myself ever upgrading with them again. I much prefer working with Luminosity Masks with the Lumenzia Panel in Photoshop. Topaz Sharpen AI is excellent (if very slow). Sky replacement in Photoshop will be there soon. I'm not seeing what value Luminar will give me.

Upvote 0

RickD

EOS R6
Aug 27, 2016
You mean like processing a RAW image? You're right!

There are people who believe this. A good friend of mine (the one who convinced me to get my first DSLR) was horrified when I discovered LR and started processing my images. She always thought that images seen on the web were straight out of camera RAW files, and the contrast and lighting effects were 100% natural.

She doesn't really shoot anymore as she finds post processing a boring task.

It's all about perspective I guess

Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
I bought Luminar 4 mainly to make sky replacement easier - my one sky shots that is, not Luminar's. I have no interest in Luminar AI; Skylum should concentrate on getting Luminar 4 to work first; it's still painfully slow at times.

As to sky replacement; Adobe are bring something similar to Luminar's soon which will no doubt be just as effective & much quicker.
Me too and I agree!

Upvote 0