Small, super small scratch on front element.

Mar 25, 2011
They don't repair scratches, it would cost more than a new element. The cost varies greatly for a new element, some lenses have just a piece of coated glass that almost anyone can just pop in place, while others use a ground element that is more expensive and the lens has to be recalibrated after its replaced. Unless it bothers you a lot, just ignore it, it should not cause a problem.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Ever read this post from uncle rog?

My recommendation:
Try to ignore the scratch. Live with it.
Only way would be to replace the whole front element.

And... where is it? I couldn't see it on the photo you posted. Maybe I need new glasses :ROFLMAO::geek:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014
The effects of that would be virtually undetectable. I have had two recent lenses with larger blemishes and have never seen any effects from them. One of my first cameras (45 years ago, I hate to admit) was a 1930s view camera that used sheet film that was in 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 format. A long-retired professional photographer gave it to me. It had a Zeiss Jena Tessar lens, which was uncoated. Upon close inspection, you could see bubbles in the glass. The guy who gave it to me said that the bubbles were a feature of some of Zeiss’s best glass from that era. The bubbles and a small scratch on the front element (much larger than on your lens) never affected an image. That said, heavily over-cleaned lenses with lots of scratches on the surface, common with early soft coatings, exhibited obviously reduced contrast.

Upvote 0
I'm sure that little scratch on the lens has now made this once mint 85 now about an $800 lens maybe 7?
I'm just going to throw a UV filter on it I'm trying to forget about it I guess.
This might sound crazy but if I was given the option of have a scratched 85 or to take a hammer to my own car and put a dent in it the car would be sitting out there with a dent in it right now that's sad isn't it

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Maximilian.
Damn, I was just going to post almost word for word what you just wrote! Including the link to the post, i love how bad that lens is and still takes passable photos, not great photos, but passable!

As for seeing the scratch, perhaps we “Should have gone to specsavers!”

Cheers, Graham.

Ever read this post from uncle rog?
[/URL]

My recommendation:
Try to ignore the scratch. Live with it.
Only way would be to replace the whole front element.

And... where is it? I couldn't see it on the photo you posted. Maybe I need new glasses :ROFLMAO::geek:

• Haha
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Damn, I was just going to post almost word for word what you just wrote! Including the link
:ROFLMAO: Graham, It seems, we spend too much time at this forum :ROFLMAO:
Especially when the weather is too bad to go out. Yesterday I could train again on dragonflies in flight. I'm getting better :giggle:

Upvote 0