Soft focus effects

I don't know if it is what you are looking for, but if you use Lightroom try reducing the clarity slider. It does what I think you are describing.
I have tried the clarity and texture sliders, but they don't give the same effect.
I suspect I will have to stick with a real filter, which is the Formatt Clear Movie Mist 4 (they are now Formatt-Hitech).

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Have you tried the Smart Blur filter? It gives you some control over some of the things you mentioned.

You might also explore channel-based selections and masks created by Find Edges and other filters. Then you can blur the selections on separate layers (and/or use smart objects) and use different settings in the fade command or layer blending modes.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
You can use the brush in lightroom to create layers of blur. Its not as accurate in selecting objects and creating layers in Photoshop, but a quick and easy way to experiment.

I used to have a Canon soft focus lens but it did not get much use, so I let it go. Then, I bought a Nikon AF DC-NIKKOR 135mm f/2 D when I saw it on Craigslist for half of its value. I Can't remember if I had a Nikon DSLR or adapted it to one of my Cannon's, but after playing with it, I realized it would not get enough use to justify keeping, so I sold it too.

I'm not picky, so software solutions work for the few times I want it.

Upvote 0