Solar chargers for DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don Haines said:
For data backup in the field, look up the Hyperdrive Colorspace and the Western Digital "passport wireless"

+1 for the hyperdrive

Also take a look at this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suaoki-Mono-crystalline-Notebooks-Cellphone-Electronic/dp/B017TNZWSU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_107_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CJ1EGRC4AZ785AZEX7QX

Havent used it but it claims to be able to charge laptops, and your car battery. Presume it could also do dslr with the inverters mentioned?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01A6X4OGG/ref=twister_B01A7XOPVO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

is a similar device.

Whatever you chose, please share your findings after your trip!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
johnf3f said:
CanonFanBoy said:
johnf3f said:
CanonFanBoy said:
johnf3f said:
I would go with a cheap power inverter such as this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Power-Inverter-DC-12V-to-AC-220V-Adapter-USB-Laptop-Charger-Mobile-Converter-/222310532549?hash=item33c2bd85c5:g:grsAAOSwHMJYIuzV

I have one and it works just fine. Assuming that your Jeep has a battery as small as my little 1200cc Skoda then you can get 15 + charges of one of each of you batteries (that is charge 30 batteries) without even moving the Jeep to re-charge it's own battery. This should cover you for the bulk/all of your trip assuming that you only use the jeep as a charging station without ever driving it! Naturally if you drive the Jeep once a week then charging is forever - well until your fuel runs out!

This assumes that you vehicle has a piddling little battery like my little car - though I expect it's battery will be of somewhat higher capacity than mine!

If you are worried about buying such a cheap solution then buy 2! Always handy to have backup!

Unless he wants to power a laptop :) And keep it charged :) For 20 days :)

??????!

They could always run the engine occasionally? I assume they are taking the Jeep for more than just decoration of the campsite? I don't think charging a (roughly) 4AH Laptop is going worry a 60AH+ car battery, do you?

Well, when they are talking about plugging an inverter into a cig. lighter to do so... that's just dreaming for that size of a load.

I'm looking at the bottom of a laptop right now. It takes +19v DC 6.3A, 120W. That is after being stepped up from 12vdc (car battery) to 120v in the inverter and then rectified to the required voltage in the brick on the laptop cord? One loses efficiency at each step in the form of heat. The amp draw increases.

Now you tell me how a cig socket putting 12vdc across the load is going to provide the required 19vdc after passing through the inverter and then the brick on the laptop cord without blowing the snot out of fuses and destroying a tiny inverter hooked to the cig socket? A cig lighter socket isn't going to do the job. PERIOD.

But hey, a guy can get out 20 days in the bush all he wants and give it a go. That's his choice. He doesn't mention a laptop anyway.

As far as your AH ratings go: A battery with a capacity of 1 amp-hour should be able to continuously supply a current of 1 amp to a load for exactly 1 hour, or 2 amps for 1/2 hour, or 1/3 amp for 3 hours, etc., before becoming completely discharged. So yes, a 6AH battery will be very bothered charging a 4AH laptop battery::) Just try it at home.

Err it's 60AH NOT 6! A 6AH battery is what you use in an RC model car not one that you sit in and drive.

"Now you tell me how a cig socket putting 12vdc across the load is going to provide the required 19vdc after passing through the inverter and then the brick on the laptop cord without blowing the snot out of fuses and destroying a tiny inverter hooked to the cig socket? A cig lighter socket isn't going to do the job. PERIOD."

Well yes I am! My inverter actuually supplies 220V AC and mine happily supplies power to my charger when filling a 22.2 V (6S) LiPo charging at 1C (5 amps) and 29.6v (8s) at 4 amps.That should be enough to knacker the cells in your laptop (as they must be charged at less than 1C if you want them to last)! Note this is a fair bit less than the inverter is capable of - but I like to run electronics at less than their ratings. It's been working just fine for 3+ years. This current consumption is within the normal specs for even the cheapest car's in car power supplies (cigar lighters).

"A cig lighter socket isn't going to do the job. PERIOD." Well it does, it has for quite a while and it is serving heavier loads than you specify/need - so yes it does (to quote) "PERIOD". Note this is for European/Korean/Japanese etc cars from VW, Audi, Skoda, GM, Ford - well just all of them, it is just a standard minimum spec.

Naturally you are free to have your own ideas/beliefs, I am just relating what I am actually doing and have been doing for some time. Looking at the OP's needs i suggested a solution that is somewhat more than what they need but costs next to nothing - and I know it works! Try it for yourself, but not at home, as cars muck up the carpet.

Sorry John, but I thought your original post said 6ah battery. I was wrong.

Naturally a purely resistive load for an AC circuit at 220v will draw less current than at 110v. Not sure what that does for the DC end of the equation.

Even with all that in mind. Even if the laptop and all additional loads don't draw as much current as I would expect while in use (not just charging), my recommendation to use a pure sine wave generator/inverter (to protect the electronics) like the Honda for 20 days out in the bush with no access to electricity still stands.

That is my recommendation and it is my opinion that doing so will prevent many possible problems. The OP can do what he likes. :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Go Wild said:
Hello Everybody!

First of all, thank you sooo much for your contributions!! I am starting to have better ideas now of possible options and some things to consider.

First of all, Canonfanboy, yes that honda generator would solve the problems, butt......(there´s always a "but") :D It is too expensive and it´s quite big to take in the bags...With all the clothes and photo and video equipment...Everything i add it´s a real problem! :D But i guess the price it´s the biggest issue...

REgarding to the problems i will face....well....about Laptops and energy, and jeeps...For the hole days, the use of the laptot is only to put data into the external drives. That is about 10/15mts a day maximum. I don´t need to use the laptot for anything else than that. I will not edit, and will not see the photos and footage, unless i can!

Regarding to travelling, I will not be stopped in the same place, we will be always chasing spots and animals. This is a Wildlife assignment so the goal is landscaping and a vast numbers of animals. So yes, the jeep will be on use, and we will move until finding a good spot. It´s probable that we stay in the same area for 2 or 3 days, but for sure (unless i have a huge luck that animal come to me...)we will have to search. So the battery power of the jeep is not an issue, and i can recharge during travel time. The main goal of recharging is Camera batteries, we will have 2 laptops so i think we will have enough power for 2 or 3 days in a row without any source of power.

During the time in the field, i will have some moments in civilization! To get fuel and other needs we will be in some citys, the scheduled is we will be in a city from 3 to 3 days.... The only thing it can delay this is if i found some place that is giving great oportunitys and we can delay for one day. In those moments my plan is to charge laptops in a coffe, restaurant or something that can allow us to charge. So, maybe i don´t need something so powerfull like the Honda....Instead, maybe a power inverter could make the job....My real afraid is if i spend the hole 4 batteries in one day and then have a real problem the next day because i could only charge one battery....

Well, but that´s it, i will not need power for anything else than charging the batteries, and i also have that possibility, that after 3 days i will always go in a city to refuel.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts!! And please if you could get me more opinions would be great!! ;)

:) And here I thought you'd be in the bush for 20 days and away from civilization with no access to a power grid. That is what you said. :) Have a safe trip!

Go Wild said:
Hello, i have a question if someone can help. I´m going to be out in the field for about 20 days, in Africa, in a zone that i don´t have access to electricity.

A small cigarette lighter inverter will charge your batteries just fine. Since you'll be stopping in cities with access to an electrical power grid, I guess the laptop can be charged there if needed. I wouldn't worry about solar at all. :)

All my hand wringing was unnecessary. :)

You could also bring extra laptop batteries.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
Go Wild said:
Hello Everybody!

First of all, thank you sooo much for your contributions!! I am starting to have better ideas now of possible options and some things to consider.

First of all, Canonfanboy, yes that honda generator would solve the problems, butt......(there´s always a "but") :D It is too expensive and it´s quite big to take in the bags...With all the clothes and photo and video equipment...Everything i add it´s a real problem! :D But i guess the price it´s the biggest issue...

REgarding to the problems i will face....well....about Laptops and energy, and jeeps...For the hole days, the use of the laptot is only to put data into the external drives. That is about 10/15mts a day maximum. I don´t need to use the laptot for anything else than that. I will not edit, and will not see the photos and footage, unless i can!

Regarding to travelling, I will not be stopped in the same place, we will be always chasing spots and animals. This is a Wildlife assignment so the goal is landscaping and a vast numbers of animals. So yes, the jeep will be on use, and we will move until finding a good spot. It´s probable that we stay in the same area for 2 or 3 days, but for sure (unless i have a huge luck that animal come to me...)we will have to search. So the battery power of the jeep is not an issue, and i can recharge during travel time. The main goal of recharging is Camera batteries, we will have 2 laptops so i think we will have enough power for 2 or 3 days in a row without any source of power.

During the time in the field, i will have some moments in civilization! To get fuel and other needs we will be in some citys, the scheduled is we will be in a city from 3 to 3 days.... The only thing it can delay this is if i found some place that is giving great oportunitys and we can delay for one day. In those moments my plan is to charge laptops in a coffe, restaurant or something that can allow us to charge. So, maybe i don´t need something so powerfull like the Honda....Instead, maybe a power inverter could make the job....My real afraid is if i spend the hole 4 batteries in one day and then have a real problem the next day because i could only charge one battery....

Well, but that´s it, i will not need power for anything else than charging the batteries, and i also have that possibility, that after 3 days i will always go in a city to refuel.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts!! And please if you could get me more opinions would be great!! ;)

:) And here I thought you'd be in the bush for 20 days and away from civilization with no access to a power grid. That is what you said. :) Have a safe trip!

Go Wild said:
Hello, i have a question if someone can help. I´m going to be out in the field for about 20 days, in Africa, in a zone that i don´t have access to electricity.

A small cigarette lighter inverter will charge your batteries just fine. Since you'll be stopping in cities with access to an electrical power grid, I guess the laptop can be charged there if needed. I wouldn't worry about solar at all. :)

All my hand wringing was unnecessary. :)

You could also bring extra laptop batteries.

Hello CanonFanBoy,

I am so sorry that i didn´t explain good at first time! It will not be the entire 20 days in the bush, as I need do travel and to search animals and spots by jeep, so gas will be consumed. I have 2 recipient for filling but after 3 days we need to refuel, because the second one will always be for emergency. So as we need to refuel we will go each 3 or 4 days to civilization to refuel. In those days i am counting to recharge laptop at least, because the stops will not be for many hours, just the enough to refuel, recharge laptop and some food.

So in this situation, i don´t need a generator like honda, because my main problem is the batteries of the cameras. My only question at this time is to choose between the solar charger or the inverter. But i do think i will choose the inverter, for primary choice, now i just have to think about a plan B, in case of the inverter fails...
However and despite this, your words are not lost at all! I do learn a lot more about this subject a i really thank you for that!! I was in the dark, now i get something!! ;)

Hello Don and Valebounce, about your posts, thank you i do need to research about the inverters to get the best one at a good price! :) And i am thinking also about the hyperdrive and the Western Digital "passport wireless"....but i already have the external drives....so i do need to consider the buget and the relation price/benefict....

Thank you very much about you help!! It´s been priceless! Thank you all!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
You are using a laptop for 10-15 minutes a day? Mine would run for a long time at that rate, it runs about 9 or more hours on a charge, so charging it during the 3 days you are out in the field seems totally unnecessary. I also think that you could just purchase enough memory cards and spare batteries to last for several days for far less money, and have much less hassle and equipment to carry.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
You are using a laptop for 10-15 minutes a day? Mine would run for a long time at that rate, it runs about 9 or more hours on a charge, so charging it during the 3 days you are out in the field seems totally unnecessary. I also think that you could just purchase enough memory cards and spare batteries to last for several days for far less money, and have much less hassle and equipment to carry.

Hello Mt Spokane! ;)

Yes, the use of laptop is primarily to transfer the data to the external drives. It will also be used if battery permits, to shortly visualize if everything is going ok with pictures and footage. I don´t know how much time my laptop can last (macbook air) but if it lasts 9 hours the better....as i mentioned before, the charging issues and concerns are mostly pointed to cameras battery charge. So I don´t think I will have problems with laptop! Better in that way! ;)

About storage cards, yes i am going to take with me a good number of cards, but you must understand that in this kind of works ( filming in 4k 60FPS / 1080p 120fps and photographing), the cards just "burn out" in a glimpse and the most important thing, you do need to backup! I always, always no matter how many cards I have, take with me 2 external drives, to storage and duplicate. In this 20 days, it´s really easy to end up with 2TB of footage (film and photography), so if you make your maths you will see that if i only take cards to storage, that could represent around 20 CFAST cards of 128GB each, just for film! For photos would be more easy, as regular CF cards can make the job. But do you realize how much money would it be?? :)
Regarding to batteries, yes, I will take 4 batteries with me, I could take more, but they are just too expensive...It´s about 340 euros the 3 batteries...But I just don´t see how I could save money, taking extra cards and batteries, because the average price of a cigarette light inverter is around 30 euros, and the kit of the solar panels is about 200 euros...Well...i spoke with a friend of mine that uses the inverters and he said that never had problem, so i guess my decision will be to take the inverter and the 4 batteries and just pray that nothing goes wrong....:)

Thank you

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

If you are worried about cheap inverters, and I can understand why, then just buy a few of them! At least one will work!

When I bought mine it cost £7.50 (about 9 Euro) and has been working fine. Mine is rated at 150 watts output but a charger for a Canon 1DX/1DX2 needs about 20 watts so it is hardly straining anything! My Laptop charger needs 65 watts - again not a biggie.

My inverter is a cheap piece of rubbish so I would not charge more than one 1DX battery and one laptop simultaneously or 4 1DX batteries (if you have that many chargers!).

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
Keep in mind a laptop power supply is rated for the absolute max power it needs to deliver and that typical use will draw far less. So most laptops might come with say a 70 or 90 watt power supply, the load will never come close to that under normal use. One would need to run stress tests that push the CPU/GPU to max. And if you bought some workstation/desktop replacement laptop, like the behemoth Dell Precisions, then it might come with a giant brick of a PS, rated around 150 watts or so. Either way, a cigarette lighter draws a pretty good current as it is a heating element. I'm pretty sure they are usually on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. In short a cigarette lighter in a car usually has no problem delivering 200 watts of power. Long before the days of tablets we use'd inverters to power laptops to entertain my son when he was little on long road trips and we never had an issue. Never had an issue powering any device we hooked up to it (random phone chargers, etc). However, agreeing with Don Haines here, do not by the cheap $10 ebay/Chinese inverter. You want something that does a simulated sine wave, even if it is relatively crude sine signal it should get the job done and can be had for 50 to 100 bucks depending on the size of the inverter. Most small electronics AC to DC converters (think your phone charger) are pretty forgiving. Historically they used diodes and rectifying circuits. Now they use switching ICs. In either case I think they have a pretty high tolerance for dealing with less then anything near a perfect sine wave. I believe an AC motor is far more picky and I run an AC pump off of 1000 watt inverter in my "home made" backup sump pump system with no issue. Again, just another inverter I got (off Amazon I believe) for probably under 100 bucks.

In short, I think a good quality inverter is by far your best bet. Pick one up well in advance of your trip and test it out with all the devices you want to charge with it ahead of time and that should give you some confidence.

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Fyi, at least my Mk1 charger has 12-24DC input too, so I can charge directly from car without inverter. Inverter wastes lot of energy, so feeding DC directly is much better option. If the solar panels are powerful enough, you could run directly from those without needing to store on another battery, then use that battery to run inverter to charge battery.

The less conversions, the less losses.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
tpatana said:
Fyi, at least my Mk1 charger has 12-24DC input too, so I can charge directly from car without inverter. Inverter wastes lot of energy, so feeding DC directly is much better option. If the solar panels are powerful enough, you could run directly from those without needing to store on another battery, then use that battery to run inverter to charge battery.

Agreed!
Small inverters are inefficient. Inverters running a light load are inefficient. Combine the two and you get very inefficient. That's why I use an LPE-6 charger and a AA/AAA charger that run straight from 12V and charge the P/S from A 12V USB adaptor. Now if only my laptop charged from 12V.......

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Don Haines said:
Now if only my laptop charged from 12V.......

AFAIK, you can find DC-DC converters that allows for charging laptops from 12/24V DC. I.e.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=330-8105
https://www.amazon.com/Dv7-1245dx-Dv7-6c95dx-Dv6-7210us-Dv6-7246us-Dv7-7227cl/dp/B004ARP28O

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
LDS said:
Don Haines said:
Now if only my laptop charged from 12V.......

AFAIK, you can find DC-DC converters that allows for charging laptops from 12/24V DC. I.e.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=330-8105
https://www.amazon.com/Dv7-1245dx-Dv7-6c95dx-Dv6-7210us-Dv6-7246us-Dv7-7227cl/dp/B004ARP28O

Yes you can.... got them in the lab :)

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I wish more things that charge batteries would run directly from a DC source, as you say it would save so much in losses.
Be careful of the solar panel outputs, I have one of those dash top battery maintenance solar panels and the output is pulsed, it seems to store the meagre panel output and deliver a pulse of sufficient power to top up a lead acid battery, the brighter the sun, the more frequent are the pulses, this method would obviously require a battery to smooth the output, conversely it would not keep up with more than the lightest current usage! :)

Cheers, Graham.

tpatana said:
If the solar panels are powerful enough, you could run directly from those without needing to store on another battery, then use that battery to run inverter to charge battery.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.