Solar eclipse diamond ring

thumb_93848-230817195252.jpeg

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=247

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
tpatana said:

Thats the moment that my camera went bonkers. It suddenly took 4 washed out images with very long exposures reducing the exposure each time, then hung. It was supposed to start with a short exposure and inc crease it to get 7 bracketed exposures. All 4 are washed out raw images that cannot be recovered.

This is the last one that came out.

Mikehit

EOS R6
Jul 28, 2015
Not my photos (needless to say) but the planning these required is impressive!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYHbN2QAz97/

https://blog.photoshelter.com/2017/08/create-viral-eclipse-photo/

DanP

EOS M6 Mark II
CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
Mt Spokane - At least you have an equipment excuse. In my haste to set up I forgot to tape the focus ring and ended up with no useable images of totality (I stayed overnight too far from site and had to contend with I-5 traffic in the morning, plus tired from drive on the day before - made it to the site 7 minutes before first contact). However, totality was spectacular visually and I believe far better than any photograph can manage. Here's one of my OOF diamond rings.

Attachments

• 1F3A3053.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 180

applecider

EOS RP
May 20, 2012
Portland Oregon, Cape Cod
Here's mine:

Diamond ring.. From 6 miles from Albany OR. I've seen better diamonds and worse.

Equipment for anyone interested for "next time" canon 100-400 w 1.4ext and marumi filter. I had a second camera set up with a Thousand Oaks filter, but forgot to take the filter off at full eclipse.

Attachments

• 8 21 17 eclipse full diamond .JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 185

rpt

EOS R6
Mar 7, 2012
India
Mikehit said:
Not my photos (needless to say) but the planning these required is impressive!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYHbN2QAz97/

https://blog.photoshelter.com/2017/08/create-viral-eclipse-photo/
WOW! Fantastic pictures! What a lot of work and planning. Thanks for sharing.

bluemoon

EOS 90D
Oct 6, 2014
from TN, slightly out of focus, but at f11 it worked out. 7dmk2 and 100-400mk2.

slightly darkened up for dramatic effect.

pierre

Attachments

• eclipse.jpg
    eclipse.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 166
Nov 3, 2014
Athens Tennessee. I think these might technically be Baily's Beads.

Can't remember the last time I was so flumoxed while taking photos. I just wasn't prepared for how disorienting and dark it would be during totality.

Had to swap bodies at totality and I barely got it done in time. Pics came out ok though and I don't seem to have damaged any of my gear or my vision.

Glad I had everything set up in advance. I never would have been able to correct on the fly.

edit 8/31/17: Had a PM regarding the specs on this image so I thought I'd include here as well. Not sure anybody is paying attention to this as Harvey has mostly eclipsed interest in the eclipse.

Shot with a 1DX2 with a 100-400L IS II plus 1.4x ext. I was doing auto brackets of 7 exposures at 2 stop intervals. This is the least exposed image of this series. 1/4000th @f11 and an ISO of 400. Although its been edited a bit for aesthetics it's similar to the original raw. It's also a pretty significant crop and clipped just a bit at the top end but all of the other exposures show significant clipping and look quite different. More like the Diamond Ring shots.

Attachments

• Baily'sBeads-1.jpg
    Baily'sBeads-1.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 168

bholliman

EOS R
Dec 6, 2012
USA
www.flickr.com
Graphic.Artifacts said:
Athens Tennessee. I think these might technically be Baily's Beads.

Can't remember the last time I was so flumoxed while taking photos. I just wasn't prepared for how disorienting and dark it would be during totality.

Very nice image!

I had a similar experience. I practiced shooting the sun several times times and had gone through my setting and set-up in advance, but when totality hit, I was a bit overwhelmed. I missed the first diamond ring and struggled to get my totality settings dialed in (even though I had custom settings pre-programmed, they were 3-4 stops off). I didn't want to spend all my time with the camera, so stopped for about a minute during mid totality and just observed.

Nov 3, 2014
Yep. Sounds familiar. Looking back I'm not sure it was worth switching from crop to full frame for the totality. I did manage to quit fussing with the camera for a few seconds and look at the eclipse. Totally mesmerizing. If I get the chance to see another one I'm not sure I would try to photograph it again. The pic's are cool but I wish I taken a little more time to enjoy the moment.

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Graphic.Artifacts said:
Yep. Sounds familiar. Looking back I'm not sure it was worth switching from crop to full frame for the totality. I did manage to quit fussing with the camera for a few seconds and look at the eclipse. Totally mesmerizing. If I get the chance to see another one I'm not sure I would try to photograph it again. The pic's are cool but I wish I taken a little more time to enjoy the moment.

I promised myself, and told some friends, that when totality hit I would quit taking pictures and just enjoy the experience. Stupidly I broke that promise. I hastily unscrewed the filter, tried taking a few shots, used my little camera to photograph the crowd, looked at the eclipse with my eyes, looked around at the crowd and the darkness. I missed looking at the sunset around the horizon. I didn't see any planets, though one appears to show up on three of my shots. Where I was, totality was just under two minutes, it seemed like ten seconds I was so busy. I wound up taking five pictures during the totality. The last one accidentally got a diamond ring:

total5.jpg

Mikehit

EOS R6
Jul 28, 2015
stevelee said:
The last one accidentally got a diamond ring:

There be people I know who have photographed a couple of eclipses and failed to get the diamond ring. You tell them you got it 'accidentally' and your health may be at risk. :D

tom r

I'm New Here
Jun 7, 2014
Eastern Oregon. 6D, 400/5.6 with 2x version iii extender

Attachments

• a0 _flare lo res.jpg
    a0 _flare lo res.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 167