SONY A7RII may be less of an offer than you think

Got excited and prepared my A7RII pre-order when I suddenly realized that there's no guarantee that current Canon EF to SONY FE adapters will allow for reasonably "fast" AF on the SONY.

Even if the new SONY focusing system can deliver much faster focus confirmation the adapter speed itself is a key limiting factor.

I still have my ticket for a pre-order later this week. But I will not pull the trigger unless its confirmed that the SONY/adapter/Canon-lens combo actually delivers reasonable AF speed as a package. I can do without F1 AF speed - but not "slow" AF.

Maybe it was all too good to be true... :eek:

Mar 25, 2011
At the press launch in New York we even got a glimpse of the a7R II autofocusing Canon EF lenses using a Metabones electronic adapter. Focus appeared to be on par with OVF focus on a native Canon body, and the AF experience itself didn't appear to be limited simply because you're using a third party lens (full coverage and tracking are available).

I've also read that support for all AF points was not available, so a test review by someone knowledgable woud be nice. Maybe LULA will get one to play with and try Canon lenses, so far, they just sound like car salesmen, reviewing based on the PR from Sony.

On paper, the camera sounds like something I'd like, but I just can't overlook Sony's reputation for poor reliability, and poorer service.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
bdunbar79 said:
Dylan777 said:
bdunbar79 said:
Who cares about AF? It's the SENSOR that counts.

Getting old, let's move on :)
Move on to what?

Sorry OP for derailing your post.

1 out of 100000000000000000000000000.....in photography. Learn how to capture light and create photos like these: https://www.flickr.com/photos/75571860@N06/

Back to topic. If this a7rII has same type of Af in a6000, AF tracking will be great with native lenses. Can't confirm with 3rd party lenses through adaptor.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
At the press launch in New York we even got a glimpse of the a7R II autofocusing Canon EF lenses using a Metabones electronic adapter. Focus appeared to be on par with OVF focus on a native Canon body, and the AF experience itself didn't appear to be limited simply because you're using a third party lens (full coverage and tracking are available).

I've also read that support for all AF points was not available, so a test review by someone knowledgable woud be nice. Maybe LULA will get one to play with and try Canon lenses, so far, they just sound like car salesmen, reviewing based on the PR from Sony.

On paper, the camera sounds like something I'd like, but I just can't overlook Sony's reputation for poor reliability, and poorer service.

I'll keep you updated with AF speed and tracking with native lenses.

I'll add A-mount to E-mount adaptor for Zeiss 135mm f1.8 and Canon EF adaptor to test a7rII. BTW, the Zeiss 135mm f1.8 A-mount is REALLY good.

I'm not a high MP shooter, however, I'll put my pre-order for a7rII. Just excited to see 1st FF mirrorless with AF tracking.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Tugela said:
Thank you for warning us!! I was all set to order one of these, but thanks to your timely heads up I was able to cancel my order immediately! Phew! Missed bullet!! I guess that proves that Sony is not to be trusted once and for all!!

Why Cancel? There will be lots of test data on prototype cameras that will be so close to production models that it won't affect results. If a issue pops up, then cancel. If you purchase from B&H or Adorama and the camera does not live up to the hype, you have 30 days to return it.

We need lots of early adopters to run interference

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Tugela said:
Thank you for warning us!! I was all set to order one of these, but thanks to your timely heads up I was able to cancel my order immediately! Phew! Missed bullet!! I guess that proves that Sony is not to be trusted once and for all!!

Why Cancel? There will be lots of test data on prototype cameras that will be so close to production models that it won't affect results. If a issue pops up, then cancel. If you purchase from B&H or Adorama and the camera does not live up to the hype, you have 30 days to return it.

We need lots of early adopters to run interference

Obviously his sarcasm went over your head.

I was about to make a similar post. It seems the OP is part of the Canon defense force and clutching at anything to derail Sony's excellent new product. Sorry OP, I don't care what you think. I will buy it if I want to.

As for the concern over whether third party lenses will work well, let's just wait and see instead of acting panicking.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
that1guyy said:
Obviously his sarcasm went over your head.

I was about to make a similar post. It seems the OP is part of the Canon defense force and clutching at anything to derail Sony's excellent new product. Sorry OP, I don't care what you think. I will buy it if I want to.

Just as it seems the ability to view a member's posting history went over your head. ::)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
In the gun world we call an AR-15 rifle with upper and lower receivers from different manufacturers "Franken Guns". Now we have "Franken Camera Systems". Not for me. I figure a company like Canon, that designs sublime lenses (and Cameras), will not ultimately be left behind. I'll stick to Canon. Besides, my skills are not going to get any better switching around between systems. I need to stick with Canon's excellent system. Great tools. Talent? That is something no system can give a person. That is something that must be developed, honed, and exercised. I don't have it yet. However, there are many fine photographers who take wonderful photos with the Canon system (and other systems too).. If I can ever get to be half as good as they are... maybe I would look at switching around, but I doubt it.

One thing I do notice, though, is that some people will never be satisfied no matter what. They just like to complain. "Canon sucks" is what I see a lot of here on the forum. Hell, maybe these folks are just terrible photographers and need to blame somebody. Can't get a good bird in flight photo? It must be the camera's fault. Can't get proper exposure? The sensor sucks! Blah, blah, blah. Who was Winnie the Pooh's little donkey friend?

Keep chasing that rainbow! Skill and talent cannot be bought or provided by any camera manufacturer. To some it comes easy. The rest of us have to work at it. Canon has inferior products? B. S. The problem is inferior "photographers". Look at the link Dylan777 provided below. Looks like it was all done with Canon gear. Inferior my a$$. Talent! TALENT!

Dylan777 said:
bdunbar79 said:
Dylan777 said:
bdunbar79 said:
Who cares about AF? It's the SENSOR that counts.

Getting old, let's move on :)
Move on to what?

Sorry OP for derailing your post.

1 out of 100000000000000000000000000.....in photography. Learn how to capture light and create photos like these: https://www.flickr.com/photos/75571860@N06/

Back to topic. If this a7rII has same type of Af in a6000, AF tracking will be great with native lenses. Can't confirm with 3rd party lenses through adaptor.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Maiaibing said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Canon has inferior products? B. S. The problem is inferior "photographers". Look at the link Dylan777 provided below. Looks like it was all done with Canon gear. Inferior my a$$. Talent! TALENT!

Interesting comment from someone who has a new camera, several of the newest Canon lenses and flashes.

So talent is everything? Please explain how is getting new upgraded Canon gear different from just getting any other new upgraded gear? Or are you also just another inferior photographer chasing the rainbow?

The way I interpreted his post was more generous: upgrading gear, or chasing greener grass, will not necessarily improve your results. However, it may. Whether or not it does is up to the user.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Maiaibing said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Canon has inferior products? B. S. The problem is inferior "photographers". Look at the link Dylan777 provided below. Looks like it was all done with Canon gear. Inferior my a$$. Talent! TALENT!

Interesting comment from someone who has a new camera, several of the newest Canon lenses and flashes.

So talent is everything? Please explain how is getting new upgraded Canon gear different from just getting any other new upgraded gear? Or are you also just another inferior photographer chasing the rainbow?

Yes, I am an inferior photographer... but I don't chase rainbows. I believe it was one of Clint Eastwood's characters that said, "A man has got to know his limitations." I know mine. I certainly do not blame my limitations on the supposed failings of Canon. I take all the blame. That's the whole point of the post. I buy the gear I buy because it is what I want. I have no illusions that it will make me a better photographer. I own a nice Martin guitar, but can only play a couple of very simple songs. I don't blame the C.F. Martin guitar company for my own shortcomings.

Yes, to be a great photographer requires immense talent. Just like being a great guitar player, great cook, great painter, or great singer, etc.

The link provided in the post of another that I quoted shows what a great photographer can do with Canon's "inferior" or "lackluster" products.

The idea that Canon is doomed or left in the dust by the likes of Sony is laughable. Great photographers can get results with great gear no matter who makes it. An inferior photographer produces poor quality no matter what gear he uses. He may get lucky now and again, but a real pro is consistent.

Anyone who thinks that switching systems is going to make all the difference in their work is fooling themselves. Blaming a Camera manufacturer for piss poor photos when others produce perfection with the same gear is simply, well... insane.

That is quite different from upgrading or updating.

Upvote 0