Sony A9 Fails to Impress With Canon 300mm & 400mm Big White Lenses

Oct 19, 2012
Issue is that these tests were done with adapters having old FW which was not supporting a9.
There was another thread Canon lenses on A9 : http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=32774.0
I shared there my experience and mentioned number of issues that I thought was due to old firmware not yet supporting a9. Also mentioned this video there as well.
And finally (just today) Metabones published new FW v.0.57 for a9 support.
http://metabones.com/article/of/EF-E_Firmware_Win
New FW supports up 10 fps in AF-C mode and wider focusing points coverage area which was limited with old FW.
"Added autofocus support during high speed and medium speed continuous drive (up to 10fps) on Sony A9 ("Green" mode only). Experiment with the "Priority Set in AF-C" setting for the best compromise between hit rate and frame rate for your shooting style. Overall performance depends on lens used. The camera does not use hunting while tracking is in operation"
Will test soon Matabones adapter with new FW on A9 with my Canon lenses and will share results .
Hope this will perform better than with previous FW version.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
neuroanatomist said:
justmy2cents said:
Come on, Canon, you are not going to develop a proper FF mirrorless camera anyway

Oh, I'm sure they will. When they believe doing so is in their best interests.
Since we are guessing, I am sure they are not going to do that. That would open a door to many camp changers.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
justmy2cents said:
BeenThere said:
Looks like lens functionality is limited by adapter speed. Come on Sony, use an EF mount.

Come on, Canon, you are not going to develop a proper FF mirrorless camera anyway, so team up with Sony and develop a proper EF Adapter for the Sony cameras.

I am not sure it is the mount. Apparently Sony A mount lenses used with an adapter are also compromised.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Fatalv said:
So let me get this straight... A camera body is used with a metabones adapter that's not yet designed to work with it and it fails to impress?

In other news... the sky is still blue, water is still wet, and the sun is warm.

I'd be much more interested to see how it performs once metabones has a proper firmware for it.

Your cynicism is well founded. But the way the Sony afficionados have been raving about this camera being a 1Dx2 killer, you would think it had all bases covered. The fact is that the market at which this camera is aimed needs a lot of long telephotos and especially those at f2.8 and f4, and given that Sony makes no such lenses in E mount, it was about time someone brought the discussion back down to earth.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Larsskv said:
Banding issue with the A9: https://youtu.be/zv1JCHfXDdY

As soon as I saw that I was reminded of this thread:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=30990.0

It does not seem exactly the same but maybe this is arising because there have not been any real advances in sensor technology for some time and they are pushing it to the limits and IME in other areas of technology this means you unearth situations where weird things happen.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
Fatalv said:
So let me get this straight... A camera body is used with a metabones adapter that's not yet designed to work with it and it fails to impress?

In other news... the sky is still blue, water is still wet, and the sun is warm.

I'd be much more interested to see how it performs once metabones has a proper firmware for it.

Your cynicism is well founded. But the way the Sony afficionados have been raving about this camera being a 1Dx2 killer, you would think it had all bases covered. The fact is that the market at which this camera is aimed needs a lot of long telephotos and especially those at f2.8 and f4, and given that Sony makes no such lenses in E mount, it was about time someone brought the discussion back down to earth.

It's been a long day, apologies if the sarcasm came off too cynical ;) I agree though, the hype is a little ridiculous. The A9 seems to be a great camera that's missing a lens lineup to complement it.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Mikehit said:
Fatalv said:

+10000000000000000

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Fatalv said:
Mikehit said:
Fatalv said:

It's been a long day, apologies if the sarcasm came off too cynical ;) I agree though, the hype is a little ridiculous. The A9 seems to be a great camera that's missing a lens lineup to complement it.

Yep, that's a minor thing, since nobody needs lenses anyway ;)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Jopa said:
Fatalv said:
Mikehit said:
Fatalv said:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
Jopa said:
Fatalv said:
Mikehit said:
Fatalv said:

Indeed. It's a strange move by Sony, IMHO. I expect they must have lenses on the way, but who knows :p

Upvote 0