Sony A99 announced

xps

EOS R
Oct 19, 2011
1,007
113
Middle Europe
"Breaking news": Sony alpha Rumors writes:

Sony announces the new A99II
42MP Full-Frame Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
BIONZ X Image Processor & Front-End LSI
Internal UHD 4K Video & S-Log3 Gamma
S&Q Motion in Full HD from 1-120 fps
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Stabilization
Hybrid Phase Detection AF System
0.5″ 2.36M-Dot XGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF
3.0″ 1,228.8k-Dot Tilting LCD Monitor
ISO 102,400 and 12 fps Shooting with AF
Dual SD Card Slots; 14-Bit Raw Output

It will ship in November for $3,199!

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilca-99m2/specifications


Let the battle begin. The better 5D Mk IV? Let us wait until this page adds all specs.

The evil Sonikon empire strikes back.
 

xps

EOS R
Oct 19, 2011
1,007
113
Middle Europe
Our friends from DP Review write:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/5855300360/sony-announces-alpha-99-mark-ii
and
https://www.dpreview.com/news/1730096095/sony-announces-full-frame-a99-ii-at-photokina
 

Dylan777

EOS-1D X Mark III
Nov 17, 2011
5,514
9
xps said:
Dylan777 said:
Would be more exciting if there is a9 :)
One of my family members is working for this company. He says, it will appear on the market soon...

A-mount officially dead. Sony might as well releases A9 ;D


Edit: just went through some specs. Tilt screen and eye AF are the two features I use daily. Ok, A-mount is not dead yet... ;D ;D ;D
 

Flamingtree

EOS M6 Mark II
Dec 13, 2015
57
62
Do these things have the same mount as the a7rII etc? Some pretty great specs (in theory) but needs some good glass to partner it up with.

Either way I hope it puts some price pressure on Canon.
 

3kramd5

EOS R6
Mar 2, 2012
3,084
405
Flamingtree said:
Do these things have the same mount as the a7rII etc?

No, they have an SLR mount ("a mount"). a7 series is mirrorless with a short flange distance ("e mount").
 

Flamingtree

EOS M6 Mark II
Dec 13, 2015
57
62
3kramd5 said:
Flamingtree said:
Do these things have the same mount as the a7rII etc?

No, they have an SLR mount ("a mount"). a7 series is mirrorless with a short flange distance ("fe mount").

Thanks. My read of the Sony strategy was to leave fighting canon in the slr market to Nikon (with Sony sensors). good on them for having another crack at the market. It's only good for us consumers.
 

3kramd5

EOS R6
Mar 2, 2012
3,084
405
Flamingtree said:
3kramd5 said:
Flamingtree said:
Do these things have the same mount as the a7rII etc?

No, they have an SLR mount ("a mount"). a7 series is mirrorless with a short flange distance ("fe mount").

Thanks. My read of the Sony strategy was to leave fighting canon in the slr market to Nikon (with Sony sensors). good on them for having another crack at the market. It's only good for us consumers.

I suspect Sony is marching towards mirrorless only, but so far the autofocus isn't on par with dedicated off-sensor units. The day they decide it is, the mirror will go.
 

Etienne

EOS R
Sep 19, 2010
1,474
280
Ottawa Ontario
4K full sensor readout without pixel binning, and XAVC-S codec.
It make you wonder why can't Canon put their XF codec and C-Log in the 5D mk IV.
 

Talley

EOS 90D
Apr 14, 2015
106
0
Etienne said:
4K full sensor readout without pixel binning, and XAVC-S codec.
It make you wonder why can't Canon put their XF codec and C-Log in the 5D mk IV.

Because they created the cinema line.
 

9VIII

EOS 5D Mark IV
Feb 8, 2013
1,843
0
Etienne said:
4K full sensor readout without pixel binning, and XAVC-S codec.
It make you wonder why can't Canon put their XF codec and C-Log in the 5D mk IV.

I'm pretty sure it's only the Super 35 mode that runs without pixel binning.
https://youtu.be/HCuCON4jdgY?t=17m38s
 

plam_1980

EOS 90D
Jul 29, 2014
108
0
9VIII said:
Etienne said:
4K full sensor readout without pixel binning, and XAVC-S codec.
It make you wonder why can't Canon put their XF codec and C-Log in the 5D mk IV.

I'm pretty sure it's only the Super 35 mode that runs without pixel binning.
https://youtu.be/HCuCON4jdgY?t=17m38s

From the official announcement:
Movie Magic

For the first time in a Sony A-mount camera, the α99 II has the ability to record 4K video internally16 with full pixel readout and no pixel binning17...

17. In Super 35mm recording mode
 

LordofTackle

EOS RP
Nov 25, 2014
291
0
plam_1980 said:
9VIII said:
Etienne said:
4K full sensor readout without pixel binning, and XAVC-S codec.
It make you wonder why can't Canon put their XF codec and C-Log in the 5D mk IV.

I'm pretty sure it's only the Super 35 mode that runs without pixel binning.
https://youtu.be/HCuCON4jdgY?t=17m38s

From the official announcement:
Movie Magic

For the first time in a Sony A-mount camera, the α99 II has the ability to record 4K video internally16 with full pixel readout and no pixel binning17...

17. In Super 35mm recording mode

So if I understand this correctly, this works in the same way as for the 1DXII and the 5DIV??
Then the crop factor should be even higher than with the 5DIV...and a lot of people were already complaining about that crop factor in terms of UWA 4K filming....
 

plam_1980

EOS 90D
Jul 29, 2014
108
0
LordofTackle said:
plam_1980 said:
9VIII said:
Etienne said:
4K full sensor readout without pixel binning, and XAVC-S codec.
It make you wonder why can't Canon put their XF codec and C-Log in the 5D mk IV.

I'm pretty sure it's only the Super 35 mode that runs without pixel binning.
https://youtu.be/HCuCON4jdgY?t=17m38s

From the official announcement:
Movie Magic

For the first time in a Sony A-mount camera, the α99 II has the ability to record 4K video internally16 with full pixel readout and no pixel binning17...

17. In Super 35mm recording mode

So if I understand this correctly, this works in the same way as for the 1DXII and the 5DIV??
Then the crop factor should be even higher than with the 5DIV...and a lot of people were already complaining about that crop factor in terms of UWA 4K filming....

It doesn't become very clear if the explanation is for both full pixel readout and no pixel binning or only the latter. Any thoughts anyone?
 

plam_1980

EOS 90D
Jul 29, 2014
108
0
"The precision AF system also performs exceptionally in low-light conditions, as it will function properly in brightness levels as low as EV-4"
Wow that is interesting
 

Jopa

EOS R
Dec 11, 2015
1,054
0
The specs are quite interesting, but what's the situation with the new translucent mirror? Is it the same 1/2 of a stop light drop? If they're aiming at the pro market, what about lenses? $13k for the 500 f/4 - no thank you... :)
12 fps - what are the limitations? If one day they decide the mirrorless AF is ready for the prime time - what's going to happen to your A-mount lens collection? The 85 and 135 primes are still screw-driven... GM series is only for the E-mount. So basically 2 FF mounts competing each other? I'm lost...
 

3kramd5

EOS R6
Mar 2, 2012
3,084
405
Jopa said:
If one day they decide the mirrorless AF is ready for the prime time - what's going to happen to your A-mount lens collection?

Sony will wirelessly push out the secret "self destruct" firmware in every a-mount lens, of course.
 

rs

EOS R
Dec 29, 2012
1,024
0
UK
Jopa said:
The specs are quite interesting, but what's the situation with the new translucent mirror? Is it the same 1/2 of a stop light drop? If they're aiming at the pro market, what about lenses? $13k for the 500 f/4 - no thank you... :)
12 fps - what are the limitations? If one day they decide the mirrorless AF is ready for the prime time - what's going to happen to your A-mount lens collection? The 85 and 135 primes are still screw-driven... GM series is only for the E-mount. So basically 2 FF mounts competing each other? I'm lost...

12 fps with a blank viewfinder and rear screen. 8 fps is the limit if you want to see anything.

And yes, the SLT design makes the T stop of the system (lens/body combo) lower than the lens on a normal camera (mirrorless or SLR) would be.