Sony to Raise Nearly $4 Billion, Ramp Up Sensors Business to Anchor Turnaround

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Japan’s Sony Corp plans to raise nearly $4 billion via new shares and bonds to plough into image sensors as it reinvents itself as a niche component maker, pulling back from consumer goods like TVs that dragged it into losses.</p>
<p>In Sony’s first new share issue in 26 years, the firm said on Tuesday it expects to raise 321 billion yen ($2.62 billion) from a public stock offering after a rally that has seen its market value double in a year. It will raise a further 119 billion yen from a convertible bond issue to fund a boost in sensor output capacity at its advanced plants in Japan.</p>
<p>Worth close to a tenth of its current market value, the share issue provides the clearest signal yet that Chief Executive Kazuo Hirai is prioritizing the sensor business to anchor Sony’s turnaround. The firm has long been plagued by losses in branded goods like smartphones, hit by fierce competition from both cheaper rivals in Asia and industry giants like Apple Inc and Samsung Electronics Co.</p>
<p><a href="http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/30/us-sony-issue-idUSKCN0PA0EG20150630" target="_blank">Read more…</a></p>
<p>Photo Credit // REUTERS/YUYA SHINO</p>

Jul 14, 2012
Keith_Reeder said:
So selling sensors to Nikon is going to support a $40 billion business?

Yeah, right.

Bye-bye, Sony...

I guess you're unaware that Sony make the sensors for the cameras in the newest iphones and Galazy phones, the sensors in some Canon cameras, the sensors in most Olympus cameras and, apparently the sensor in the forthcoming top-line Fuji (not to mention sensors used in cars and all manner of industrial uses).

Upvote 0
sdsr said:
Keith_Reeder said:

Yeah, right.

Bye-bye, Sony...

I guess you're unaware that Sony make the sensors for the cameras in the newest iphones and Galazy phones, the sensors in some Canon cameras, the sensors in most Olympus cameras and, apparently the sensor in the forthcoming top-line Fuji (not to mention sensors used in cars and all manner of industrial uses).

Pentax too ... but even if Sony would make all image sensors in the world that would not be more than half its business ... and many things in the rest of the company are not exactly as nice as the sensor business e.g. TV, entertainment or real estate ... Sony just sold their office tower in NYC two years ago bc. it desperately needed cash (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Tower) much of the mobile entertainment market, which once nearly exclusively a Sony business is now occupied by Apple (just remember the walkman, the portable CD player) etc ... all that is gone

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
It will be interesting what this actually means. "Investment" can be a lot of different things. They could focus on a specific segment of the market (phones, security, car cameras, etc). They could focus on making the same technology more cost effectively (camera phones). Or they could focus on new tech that would be applied across the board.

My quick guess is that cameras in cars is a growth market and will see some attention. Durability of the sensor will likely be paramount there. Camera phones has likely matured as a market, but still represents a very large volume of sensors per year, so cutting costs while improving tech will likely be the balance there.

Then there are us photographers and videographers. I am sure we'll see some benefit, hopefully is better tech, but most likely in cheaper sensors.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
In a competitive market, if you have a advantage, you need to jump on it, because it wont last forever.

I think they are doing the right thing, and I believe in their vision of sensors being used in many more applications. digital cameras are just a drop in the bucket compared to whats coming.

I'd say that Sony is currently unable to meet demands, and it takes big bucks to startup new state of the art fabs.

Good for Sony. I still am not buying their cameras because of their lack of commitment to customer service. But - by selling sensors wholesale to customers who have real leverage and can demand customer service, the consumer will win.

I suspect that Sony is concerned about Samsung much more than Canon. Samsung is a company that may move aggressively into the sensor market as they see that phones and tablets are less of a growing market. None of the big electronics companies are stupid, they see Sony with a near monopoly, and want a share. By upgrading their capabilities, Sony can keep a step ahead for at least several years.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
sdsr said:
Keith_Reeder said:

Yeah, right.

Bye-bye, Sony...

Yup....

Cameras are a small part of the sensor market.... and don't forget security, biometrics, medical, televisions, and the most obvious answer (if you are driving behind it) trucks!

Attachments

• Safety_Main.jpg
    Safety_Main.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 215
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Don Haines said:
sdsr said:
Keith_Reeder said:

Yeah, right.

Bye-bye, Sony...

Yup....

Cameras are a small part of the sensor market.... and don't forget security, biometrics, medical, televisions, and the most obvious answer (if you are driving behind it) trucks!

I think that the applications for sensors are almost unlimited at this point, inventors and small startups will make a few more billionaires over the next 10 years.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Don Haines said:
sdsr said:
Keith_Reeder said:

Yeah, right.

Bye-bye, Sony...

Yup....

I think that the applications for sensors are almost unlimited at this point, inventors and small startups will make a few more billionaires over the next 10 years.
if Sony can get access to the military market especially in the US there should be some very intersting things in regards to true (optical) stealth Applications

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
1982chris911 said:
Don Haines said:
sdsr said:
Keith_Reeder said:

Yeah, right.

Bye-bye, Sony...

Yup....

if Sony can get access to the military market especially in the US there should be some very intersting things in regards to true (optical) stealth Applications

Unless things have changed drastically, the military bans use of foreign parts in their gear. (Europe is ok). I worked a few years as a Engineer designing and working with suppliers. We were prohibited from using anything but US manufacturers. foreign companies could setup a US factory, and that was OK. The reasoning is obvious, it easy to cutoff supply lines that are many thousands of miles away. Even commodities like clothing are US sourced. This can mean that the technology is not the latest and greatest, but it also means that supply problems are simplified, and it usually means that quality and reliability are better.

Upvote 0
1982chris911 said:
Don Haines said:
sdsr said:
Keith_Reeder said:

Yeah, right.

Bye-bye, Sony...

Yup....

Unless things have changed drastically, the military bans use of foreign parts in their gear. (Europe is ok). I worked a few years as a Engineer designing and working with suppliers. We were prohibited from using anything but US manufacturers. foreign companies could setup a US factory, and that was OK. The reasoning is obvious, it easy to cutoff supply lines that are many thousands of miles away. Even commodities like clothing are US sourced. This can mean that the technology is not the latest and greatest, but it also means that supply problems are simplified, and it usually means that quality and reliability are better.

No longer ... Or they produce other Apple IOS devices for them than for the regular customer line:
http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/21/u-s-army-orders-120k-ipads-100k-ipad-minis-200k-ipod-touches-and-210k-iphones/

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
1982chris911 said:
1982chris911 said:
Don Haines said:
sdsr said:
Keith_Reeder said:

Yeah, right.

Are Apple devices considered to be Military? Can you shoot them (pun intended) :)
Bye-bye, Sony...

Yup....

No longer ... Or they produce other Apple IOS devices for them than for the regular customer line:
http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/21/u-s-army-orders-120k-ipads-100k-ipad-minis-200k-ipod-touches-and-210k-iphones/

Are Apple devices considered to be Military? Can you shoot them? (pun intended) :)

I bet that there is a proviso somewhere in the contract that Apple show them a plan for US manufacturer if they are considered critical. Apple has mentioned setting up US manufacturing, but did not say why or what. Since the components come from China anyway, it might be silly to do that.

Upvote 0
1982chris911 said:
1982chris911 said:
Don Haines said:
sdsr said:
Keith_Reeder said:

Yeah, right.

Are Apple devices considered to be Military? Can you shoot them (pun intended) :)
Bye-bye, Sony...

Yup....

Are Apple devices considered to be Military? Can you shoot them? (pun intended) :)

I bet that there is a proviso somewhere in the contract that Apple show them a plan for US manufacturer if they are considered critical. Apple has mentioned setting up US manufacturing, but did not say why or what. Since the components come from China anyway, it might be silly to do that.

Well if it tells you what to shoot at ... I guess its military ;-) anyway I thought they also wanted to use PS2/3 style controllers for the drones ...as that is much better for the young guys who fly them ... no transition time to get used to other button combination to cheat a bit ... GAME OVER !!! ;-)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
1982chris911 said:
Going back to use of image sensors what I mean is this here ... and you need really a lot of sensors for that if you wanna use it on tanks trucks people etc. from every angle : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_camouflage
now where did I park that tank???? Come on guys! Anyone remember where we parked it????? DARN ACTIVE CAMOUFLAGE!!!!!

There are an awful lot of creative people on this planet... who knows what the next "killer application" will be.... hopefully it will not be a T-800 :)

Upvote 0