Sony's PXW-FS5 XDCAM Super 35 Taking on Canon's C100 Mark II

expatinasia

EOS 5D Mark IV
Aug 18, 2011
Asia Pacific
Surprised there has not been any posts about Sony's (yes, them again!) new PXW-FS5 which on paper seems pretty useful and weighing just 0.8 kg, it's pretty light too.

A good written review with some nice images I did not see elsewhere is here:

https://alvaroortizsanz.wordpress.com/2015/09/11/sony-pxw-fs5-overview/

The same guy's YT review is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv3vt62VP7s

What are your thoughts on this?

bsbeamer

EOS RP
Nov 5, 2011
Personally, this looks like a nice camera option. It's being viewed as an FS700 replacement by many. This may be the camera I end up using for 4K video work. Weighing some options at the moment.

Posted this elsewhere...

I LOVE Sony's cameras on paper. My inner geek drools over their features, specs, and even SOME of their latest designs and ergonomics are solutions that people have been looking for. I wish they had better glass options! When it comes to real-world experience however, it's not 100% what I'm looking for with my EF and EF-S glass investments. Metabones is great and it's an option... but if there was something native EF/EF-S, that would be far better.

Maybe it's time I just say goodbye to my Canon glass and move onto another lens mount?

stilscream

EOS 90D
Feb 7, 2012
Tucson, AZ
I've waited since the fs700 came out for Canon to respond with their own high-speed killer. Nothing, not even 4k in anything lamen can afford. I am really trying to free up my budget to get this pxw-fs5. Although I am just a video newbie, this has all the specs I would want to justify the cost: 4k, 960fps ability/240fps in HD, built in wi-fi, built-in ( new electronic) ND filters, e-mount that works with Canon glass. It's on like Donkey Kong. Even if I scrape the pennies together, my wife may veto it on cost alone since we have kids now. I am trying to keep my excitement down. I just found a deal on a Canon xa10 at a pawnshop, too.