Speculation on new Canon lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just speculating on how the new Canon lineup might work and here's what I would love to see.

1DX $6800 - 18 MP, 14 FPS, advanced autofocus, excelent low light performance

3D - $3500 - 18 MP, 4 FPS, excelent low light performance, - good autofocus

5D III - $3500 - 32 MP, 4 FPS, last gen low light performance - good or average autofocus

Wouldn't this satisfy everyone?

Feb 22, 2011
Yes. Me. I'd say not 3D but 6D and sell it for 2799.
And I'd announce it on Nov 3rd. And it should be in the shops before Xmas. And I'd be happy with 18 clean MPs where you could see what is in the dark part of the picture and not guess it.
This is what I find reasonable development. It is not all about sharpness and resolution in the non pro segment.

Upvote 0
P

Polansky

Radiating said:
I was just speculating on how the new Canon lineup might work and here's what I would love to see.

5D III - $3500 - 32 MP, 4 FPS, last gen low light performance - good autofocus

I am pretty sure looking at the specs of the 1Dx and what they have told at the press conference that 5DIII will not get the 'good' autofocus, but rather will have the AF of 60D and only with a littlebit of luck might have 7D's autofocus.

So yes you may expect 5DIII to have more megapixels, but will not get any better AF.
Canon wants 5D2 users to upgrade, not to sit tight and give them actually something better then 1Dx with just a littlebit less AF performance.

Chances are increased for a release of a 3Dx wich might inherit the 45pt AF however.

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

Radiating said:

5D III - $3500 - 32 MP, 4 FPS, last gen low light performance - good autofocus

What about the 7D2, APS-C, 9FPS, 16-18MP, excellent autofocus, low light performance (almost) as good as the 1D4, $2500.

Also, I think the 3D would either have to be $2500-3000 or 8FPS or both. Look at the Nikon D700 for guidance.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Not if we go by the historical record. The EOS-3, as I seem to keep repeating here, was essentially a vertical grip-less EOS-1, same 45-pt. AF, shared the same motor drive and battery pack, and had one feature absent in the EOS-1v: ECF. So if Canon would use that model name on a DSLR, expect it to be a VG-less 1Dx, maybe just 8FPS gripless, but would retain most of the other features of the flagship model. In short, it won't have those specs and won't have that price.

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2010
Radiating said:

I have noticed that there is a (small) group of professionals that want a high resolution version of the 1D-X. They want the robustness of the 1D chassis, and other flagship features, in short the best camera Canon can make with a high-resolution sensor. Those has up to now used 1DsIII. Hiking landscape photographers for example. To them 5D build quality is too poor, and AF and other features are not top either.

We all know that 5Dmk2 "killed" the 1DsIII sales, but since you can borrow technology and form from the other better selling products I doubt that they actually would lose money on a high res 1D. It may be worth it for Canon to show that they do support all professionals, not just the majority. The 1DsIII users that hoped for a continued strive to be close to medium format quality can feel that Canon has let them down. 1D-X will probably in practice deliver better image quality than 1DsIII (better dynamic range), but 1DsIII is old and 1D-X is new and may be in production until say 2015. In that context 18 megapixel is not what the professionals that need high res but also robustness, portability and flexibility of 135 format expected.

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2010
te4o said:
I agree, torger, but will they sacrifice IQ for resolution ?
I hope soon we can see the IQ of the D X sensor. It will be addictive...

Yes, that category of users do sacrifice some high ISO performance for high resolution at base ISO, since 99% of their images is shot at base ISO. This tradeoff is what medium format sensors have. I think where the 1D-X will impress is at high ISO + low light (excellent for photojournalism, sports, wildlife, event photography etc), while it will not be anything special at base ISO compared to the competition. At ISO100 it will probably be better than 5Dmk2 and 1DsIII due to their pattern noise problems (which I would be surprised if they have not solved), but probably not noticeably better than for example Nikon D3x, just lower resolution.

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
Throwing a spanner in the works, it's entirely possible that the next 5D could remain the entry level product, share the sensor with the 1Dx but with poorer low light performance and a higher end 1Dxs comes along with the 35-40Mpx sensor and the light performance of the 1Dx for a super silly premium of 50-100% over the 1Dx

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.