Spiders

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Very nice shots, Stuart. I especially like the first picture. Well done.

NancyP

EOS R
Dec 17, 2013
I enjoy some spiders. Here's another orchard orb weaver and a triangulate orb weaver. The triangulate orb weaver had the bad judgement to spin its web across a hiking trail, and had to re-weave several times that day (twice on my account, forward and back). However, it is a very fast-moving spider - this is one of the few in-focus shots I could get with my manual focus macro lens. (125mm on full frame - I like telephoto with spiders too, for the luxurious bokeh).

Attachments

• Phillips091515_4-7223.jpg
    Phillips091515_4-7223.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 1,433
  • Phillips091515_5-6676.jpg
    Phillips091515_5-6676.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 312
Jan 22, 2016
I have a few spider pictures, but they rarely come out good.
I like that one though... it's a small jumping spider hiding in the raspberries...
The eyes are amazing!

AraigneeFramboises.jpg

NancyP

EOS R
Dec 17, 2013
DRioux, that's a great demonstration of the size of the jumper. I am surprised you even found it.

Click

Jul 29, 2012
Canada
DRioux said:
I have a few spider pictures, but they rarely come out good.
I like that one though... it's a small jumping spider hiding in the raspberries...
The eyes are amazing!

That's a very nice shot, DRioux. Well done.

applecider

EOS RP
May 20, 2012
Portland Oregon, Cape Cod
Not the best technical pictures but interesting to me.

Funnel spider with shed exoskeleton and just a web with morning dew.

Attachments

• funnel spider with skin                                          .JPG
    funnel spider with skin .JPG
    1 MB · Views: 344
  • spider web with drops                                          .JPG
    spider web with drops .JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 380

hhkd

I'm New Here
Aug 20, 2015
sedwards said:
i couldnt find a thread with spider pics so i figured i would start one. these are from Florida
Orchard Orbweaver
First one is beautiful.
NancyP said:
I enjoy some spiders. Here's another orchard orb weaver and a triangulate orb weaver. The triangulate orb weaver had the bad judgement to spin its web across a hiking trail, and had to re-weave several times that day (twice on my account, forward and back). However, it is a very fast-moving spider - this is one of the few in-focus shots I could get with my manual focus macro lens. (125mm on full frame - I like telephoto with spiders too, for the luxurious bokeh).
The angle on the first one is awesome.
kirispupis said:
I always enjoy photographing spiders. Here are a few of mine.
Fantastic!
NancyP said:
DRioux, that's a great demonstration of the size of the jumper. I am surprised you even found it.
I completely agree, it's hard to tell how small they are from most photos. That shot is great.
applecider said:
Not the best technical pictures but interesting to me.

Funnel spider with shed exoskeleton and just a web with morning dew.
I'm drawn into the funnel, that's cool.

Here's one of mine, I still have a lot to learn. I used a relatively cheap Meike MK-14EXT on a 100L macro. I've since switched to a bracket with two 430EX II's for macro but have yet to take a decent photo with that setup.
IMG_6760 by Hashim D, on Flickr

Reactions: Maximilian

hhkd

I'm New Here
Aug 20, 2015
applecider said:
Hashim love the eyes.

Also like Rioux's spider eyes (reflections in both cases I'm sure).

Thanks, Applecider. The reflections are from the cheap Mieke ring flash. I'm glad I got that one instead of Canon's since I really hate the glare they produce. In that shot, I feel like it worked out for me.

I used the same flash with this shot and it took a lot of post processing to remove most of the glare. There's still quite a bit left, everyone else's shots look so much more natural to me.
IMG_1254 by Hashim D, on Flickr

NancyP

EOS R
Dec 17, 2013
HHKD, welcome to the world of DIY flash modifications for macro.

Here's a primer on flash in macro, from a very talented photographer, Kurt, who posts a ton at dpreview macro thread: http://orionmystery.blogspot.com/ look at the right side for links to his how-to flash posts

Good news! The modifications can include cheap/free household items. Even a translucent plastic cup cut to cover the field of interest being illuminated can be a big improvement.

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
Some wonderful macro shots in this thread already - kudos to the photographers. Here is one I did a few years ago of a very cooperative jumping spider.

Attachments

• Spider-2 RLD5x5 20091030.jpg
    Spider-2 RLD5x5 20091030.jpg
    806.4 KB · Views: 330

Click

Jul 29, 2012
Canada
JMZawodny said:
Some wonderful macro shots in this thread already - kudos to the photographers. Here is one I did a few years ago of a very cooperative jumping spider.

Very nice micro. Well done.

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
Click said:
JMZawodny said:

Very nice micro. Well done.

Thanks Click.

The razor thin DOF makes it difficult to control (hand held) and get it where you want. I wonder whether shooting video while racking the focus over the target and feeding that video into a focus stacking program is a better way to go. Thoughts anyone?

Edit: It might be better and simpler just to slide the camera back and forth.