Still buy C70? - Update to Mark II coming soon?

Aug 7, 2018
Usually there are more than two years between two iterations. An exception was the C100 Mark II which came two years after the C100. The C300 Mark II came four years after the C300 and it took another five years for the C300 Mark III to come out. There were even seven years between the C500 and the C500 Mark II. I think video cameras are sold in much lower volume than hybrid cameras. So it would be expensive to renew them so fast.

Canon might panic though because of the Sony FX30, which costs a fraction and pretty much does the job. So they might have to react.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[...] Canon might panic though because of the Sony FX30, which costs a fraction and pretty much does the job. So they might have to react.
Provided the R100 rumours are true, Canon could switch the firmware from an R10 style firmware to an R6II style firmware, that would result in much more advanced video features using the same hardware. Especially simple things like 'detect only', where it will only focus on the subject and not refocus to the background when the subjects goes out of frame.

Upvote 0
Since the C70 came to marked in December 2020 the 2 year cylcle would match.
I'm so curious why there is not much debate this topic on the web. Of caurse one of the reasons for that is that people are very pleased with C70 for sure. But still. So many people talk about the next generation tech after like a few weeks after release have passed :D ...
From your experience, how long does it approximately take for the first rumours about a new body to pop up?

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Hi everyone,
I've been thinking up and down if I should get a C70 in late 2022 or if it's wise to wait for the announced EOS line updates in 2023.
What do you think - is an update to the C70 likly to come? Haven't found any informations about that yet.
Thanks!
The c70 won’t be updated to a mk 2 for a good while, but they will come out with more RF Mount cinema cameras above and below it. The c200 MK 2 certainly will be RF or have an RF option and be above the c70 in the roster. More boxy. Really depends on what your budget will be… What price point are you looking at?

Also, they are giving the c70 its third major firmware update soon, which is a bit uncommon for canon to add so many new features to one product after it has been out a while unless they were certain they are keeping it in the line up a long time. It’s also rather profitable for them right now, and saves them a lot of trouble with the production back log to not have to change an assembly line over right now. Cinema cameras are updated on slower cycles anyway. They just last forever if you treat them nice.

I’m imagine there will be a full frame option in a c70 body style at some point in the near future. Probably $600 to a thousand dollars more for it. But hard to tell when that might be.

If you can use one now, get one now. If you have other options then maybe wait… See if you can borrow one and play around with it. The raw lt is rather nice.

Upvote 0