Stock Notice: Canon EOS 5DS Body in Stock at B&H Photo and Amazon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The brand Canon EOS 5DS is in stock at B&H Photo and Amazon and shipping. We’ve heard that the EOS 5DS R stock levels are a lot tighter for the moment.</p>
<p class="fs16 OpenSans-600-normal upper product-highlights-header">PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS</p>
<ul class="top-section-list" data-selenium="highlightList">
<li class="top-section-list-item">50.6 MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">3.2″ 1.04m-Dot ClearView II LCD Monitor</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 30 fps</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">61-Point High Density Reticular AF</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">ISO 100-6400; 5 fps Continuous Shooting</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">150,000-Pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">User-Selectable Shutter Release Time Lag</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Anti-Flicker Compensation</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Canon EOS 5DS Body $3699: </strong><a href="http://www.adorama.com/ICA5DS.html?kbid=64393" target="_blank">Adorama</a><strong> | <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119026-REG/canon_0581c002_eos_5ds_dslr_camera.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296" target="_blank">B&H Photo</a> | <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T3ERPT8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00T3ERPT8&linkCode=as2&tag=canorumo-20&linkId=C3LAZKJCU4IRBJUF" target="_blank">Amazon</a></strong></p>

Mar 25, 2011
As I thought, the cameras are not in such high demand as a new 5D MK IV would be. All three big online sellers with new cameras in stock when they are released? Canon had to come up with a high MP camera, and its undoubtedly a good one, but its not a general purpose camera, and they obviously overestimated its appeal while leaving a boatload of cash on the floor that they could have had by producing a 5D MK IV.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
As I thought, the cameras are not in such high demand as a new 5D MK IV would be. All three big online sellers with new cameras in stock when they are released? Canon had to come up with a high MP camera, and its undoubtedly a good one, but its not a general purpose camera, and they obviously overestimated its appeal while leaving a boatload of cash on the floor that they could have had by producing a 5D MK IV.

I somewhat agree, but I think the R&D and marketing dollars into this camera are relatively low and will be a lot less than the EOS 5D Mark IV. For the most part, it's 95% the same camera as the 5D3 from a manufacturing standpoint by the looks of it.

So I think margin is going to be pretty good on this camera for Canon.

It didn't help that it was announced and you couldn't preorder it for a couple of months, then you had to wait another 6 weeks for it to ship.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Canon Rumors said:

I somewhat agree, but I think the R&D and marketing dollars into this camera are relatively low and will be a lot less than the EOS 5D Mark IV. For the most part, it's 95% the same camera as the 5D3 from a manufacturing standpoint by the looks of it.

It didn't help that it was announced and you couldn't preorder it for a couple of months, then you had to wait another 6 weeks for it to ship.

I'm not so sure, I think most people have been sold the idea that the moire isn't so bad in the 5DSR and they want that model, which is almost certainly what led Nikon to amalgamate the D800 and D800E into the singular AA filterless D810.

But, the thing that I have noticed is the very ready availability of the 11-24, even at CPW discounted prices, I'd think that is of more interest.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
TeT said:
The camera should be a steady seller, but steady in this case will be slower than we may be accustomed to with a new pro body.

on the 11 24, is it the price alone? or the f4 & the price? I think this to will be a steady but slow item.

I agree the 11-24 will be a steady seller, but considering the complexity and expense of building them I am amazed that initial supply has outstripped pent up demand so quickly.

Times are changing and the strength of the dollar and the availability of lots of grey imports has put real pressure on the dealer retail prices, heck look at the rebates on 7D MkII's.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
privatebydesign said:
TeT said:
The camera should be a steady seller, but steady in this case will be slower than we may be accustomed to with a new pro body.

on the 11 24, is it the price alone? or the f4 & the price? I think this to will be a steady but slow item.

I agree the 11-24 will be a steady seller, but considering the complexity and expense of building them I am amazed that initial supply has outstripped pent up demand so quickly.

Times are changing and the strength of the dollar and the availability of lots of grey imports has put real pressure on the dealer retail prices, heck look at the rebates on 7D MkII's.

Grey market imports have become a juggernaut for sales on places like ebay.

I thought MAP pricing was a good idea when it was introduced a few years ago, but all it has done is shifted sales from large authorized resellers to unauthorized sellers. I know the idea was to help smaller retailers compete with the big ones, but I don't think that has gone as planned. The small retailers don't have the breadth and depth of products to compete with what the big stores have, and they can't compete on pricing vs ebay and other grey market sellers.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
privatebydesign said:
TeT said:

Grey market imports have become a juggernaut for sales on places like ebay.

I thought MAP pricing was a good idea when it was introduced a few years ago, but all it has done is shifted sales from large authorized resellers to unauthorized sellers. I know the idea was to help smaller retailers compete with the big ones, but I don't think that has gone as planned. The small retailers don't have the breadth and depth of products to compete with what the big stores have, and they can't compete on pricing vs ebay and other grey market sellers.

I'm not so sure the true reason was to 'help smaller retailers', I think Canon Japan well understood the implications of a strong US$ and their governments intentions to devalue the ¥ to increase exports and decrease imports, and the inevitable knock on effects that would have in the USA market.

Of course at this point we still have the very generous unsanctioned support of Canon Japan to purchase these 'grey imports' because they are happy to support Canon USA's almost blanket warranty coverage, I wonder how long this can or will continue. Firms like Nikon and Mamiya have much stricter policies and the grey market for them is nowhere near as robust. When you look at the numbers moved through the eBay sales of grey market gear it is staggering, thousands of bodies worth millions of dollars are being sold, that must be impacting the USA retailers in a negative fashion.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011

I'll bet 1cent: @ 42MP, A7rII will be the opposite

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
privatebydesign said:
Canon Rumors said:
I'm not so sure the true reason was to 'help smaller retailers'...

I'm pretty sure it wasn't, at least according to a few small-chain and single-store retailers with whom I've spoken. I was told that at the same time the MAP was rolled out, Canon also raised their wholesale prices and 'balanced' that with a combination of volume discounts and pre-payment discounts – that was basically neutral for large retailers, but really detrimental to small retailers, cutting their profits on Canon gear.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
privatebydesign said:
Canon Rumors said:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't, at least according to a few small-chain and single-store retailers with whom I've spoken. I was told that at the same time the MAP was rolled out, Canon also raised their wholesale prices and 'balanced' that with a combination of volume discounts and pre-payment discounts – that was basically neutral for large retailers, but really detrimental to small retailers, cutting their profits on Canon gear.

Ah, the truth of life for small businesses in a corporate world.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
neuroanatomist said:
privatebydesign said:
Canon Rumors said:

I worked in retail at the time it came around in Canada, and it was sold as a "we've evened the playing field", although it was only on camera bodies and lenses were exempt.

There were no price changes in Canada (strong currency may have helped that), and the volume discount stuff in its current form didn't come until later...

Upvote 0
I was kind of excited that my 5DS r would be coming next week too since I ordered it within 3 minutes of it being available at B&H. I checked on it and sadly it will not be here until the 22nd. This is what they e-mailed me today:

Hello , my name is Nathan Z.

Thank you for your order and for contacting the Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

Please be advised that your backorder is estimated to arrive at our warehouse by June 22. As soon as we receive it in stock we will ship your order to you, and e-mail you with the tracking information.

I apologize for this delay and any inconvenience it has caused you.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Nathan Z
B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio
The Professional's Source.
E-Mail Customer Service Department
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Canon Rumors said:

Or in other words, unless you desperately need a 5Ds, you'd be an idiot to buy one now - wait for the price to drop and drop significantly.
Why would you even do not immediately purchase a Sony 42 megapixel? ???

It seems to me foolish to expect, and missing great shots that you can only do with the equipment that will come in the future. ::)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon Rumors said:

Exactly! A version of the 5D MK III with minimal changes to tooling and it can be assembled on the same production line with the same tooling. That means has a fat profit margin, but I'm still thinking that they misjudged demand or that the camera should have hit the streets in March or April.

If a 5D MK IV had hit the market in April, there would have been a backlog of buyers wanting it.

I hope it sells well, and expect that many will make good use of it.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Or in other words, unless you desperately need a 5Ds, you'd be an idiot to buy one now - wait for the price to drop and drop significantly.

If you aren't going to contribute anything meaningful then please go away dilbert. You have become the forums biggest troll. Buy your Sony equipment and go spend time on their forums.

Upvote 0