Stock Notice: Canon EOS R3 at Canon USA Store

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I agree that eye-control AF would be useful when photographing a wide range of subjects, and it would probably be handy when stalking butterflies, dragonflies or other subjects that are likely to move quickly, leaving a small time window to grab the shot. I do a fair bit of plant and fungi photography myself, but I'm not so sure that I'd benefit from eye-control AF with those subjects, as they are unlikely to suddenly run away!
That is not exactly what I meant.
I was speaking of being able to focus - camera hand-held, thus moving a little- on a specific detail of a plant. Quite often, I notice, looking at a macro, that, due to my moving backwards or forwards before the exposure, that the focus was not where I wanted to have it. Despite my moving, eye controlled AF would nail focus on that important detail.
Eye AF is of course unnecessary with the camera on a tripod.

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
Why? If it works properly (for my eyes) it would be really valuable in situations where there is more than one face (human, animal or bird) in the frame. Certainly a hell of a lot better than having to wiggle a joystick around! It will be an asset for wildlife photography, and an even greater asset for sports photography. I hope it is developed to the point where it becomes completely reliable for all users, and I hope that it is widely adopted in other models and brands.

The only "issue" apart from (possible) reliability that I can find, is that the moving orange/yellow circle, that indicates what your eye is looking at, is very distracting. But I suspect that most people would turn the indicator off, once theyv'e satisfied themselves that it actually works for their own eyes.

Of course, if you don't photograph animals or people, it's use would be far more limited.
I shoot sports and I've found the R5's more than competent at finding the eyes, head and body that I don't need this gimmicky feature. I've only played briefly with the R3 and I can't see "needing" the feature. Of course I've not shot a sporting event with it yet but one of my colleagues has one now and I'll see him and the R3 on Sunday and hopefully have more to say about it.

Upvote 0
To make things clear: I indeed quoted a troll!
OK folks, enough. Yes I posted the January 26th misinformation. I am not a "troll" and to be a bit more clear, my information came from the well respected VP of a camera store chain here in the North East US. Subsequent info revealed that they actually got a few R3's but no where near enough to satisfy the demand. All that said, on the Canon website store this morning (for at least a couple of hours anyway) they indicated that the R3 was in stock so I ordered mine there
and by this afternoon, I had shipping confirmation (3 to 4 days from Illinois to Massachusetts. Hope everyone will enjoy their R3 as much as I know I will!
Cheers and Happy shooting !
To make things clear: I indeed quoted a troll!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
OK folks, enough. Yes I posted the January 26th misinformation. I am not a "troll" and to be a bit more clear, my information came from the well respected VP of a camera store chain here in the North East US. Subsequent info revealed that they actually got a few R3's but no where near enough to satisfy the demand. All that said, on the Canon website store this morning (for at least a couple of hours anyway) they indicated that the R3 was in stock so I ordered mine there
and by this afternoon, I had shipping confirmation (3 to 4 days from Illinois to Massachusetts. Hope everyone will enjoy their R3 as much as I know I will!
Cheers and Happy shooting !
Herewith I officially cancel the "troll".
Happy shooting to you with your R3!:)

Upvote 0
OK folks, enough. Yes I posted the January 26th misinformation. I am not a "troll" and to be a bit more clear, my information came from the well respected VP of a camera store chain here in the North East US.
Monty, kudos for owning up to the mistake (y)

Now, I will return to complain about the sour grapes of not getting my pre-ordered R3, as Canon didn't allocate enough to Denmark :mad:

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Now, I will return to complain about the sour grapes of not getting my pre-ordered R3, as Canon didn't allocate enough to Denmark :mad:
Looks like they didn’t send enough to the US to fulfill anyone’s but their own preorders, since none of the major retailers had it in stock. It’s probable that Canon USA also kept just enough to fill their preorders, but people ordered from both B&H and Canon and canceled the Canon order when B&H sent out notices on Wed night, leaving a few units on Canon’s hands Friday morning.

Upvote 0
Looks like they didn’t send enough to the US to fulfill anyone’s but their own preorders, since none of the major retailers had it in stock. It’s probable that Canon USA also kept just enough to fill their preorders, but people ordered from both B&H and Canon and canceled the Canon order when B&H sent out notices on Wed night, leaving a few units on Canon’s hands Friday morning.
Ah, could be.
Still, we got less than 10% of the preorders.

Thank goodness for the overcast boring weather, which doesn't invite for going out to take pictures :p

Upvote 0
Go ahead Canon, rub it in with stock not sold as pre-order when I can't get my pre-order filled here in Denmark0 o_O
I agree. Pretty infuriating to have forked out such a large amount of money on a pre-order and then see stock suddenly available for others to purchase straight up. This is a pretty poor effort from canon.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I agree. Pretty infuriating to have forked out such a large amount of money on a pre-order and then see stock suddenly available for others to purchase straight up. This is a pretty poor effort from canon.
Seems like they went fast, so probably not many were available. As I suggested, I think it likely that Canon USA kept enough to fill all their preorders, and allocated the rest to retailers. But some people game the system by placing multiple preorders, and canceling the others after the first one processes. B&H started processing orders on Wednesday.

You also need to take some responsibility for ‘forking out a large amount of money on a pre-order’ since the norm is that you’re not charged until the item ships. There are exceptions at some retailers, such as using Apple Pay, but that is spelled out in their ordering policies.

Finally, the early bird gets the worm. I wasn’t even that early, I did not get my order in until 6:45a ET on launch day but my R3 is on its way to me now from B&H.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Seems like they went fast, so probably not many were available. As I suggested, I think it likely that Canon USA kept enough to fill all their preorders, and allocated the rest to retailers. But some people game the system by placing multiple preorders, and canceling the others after the first one processes. B&H started processing orders on Wednesday.

You also need to take some responsibility for ‘forking out a large amount of money on a pre-order’ since the norm is that you’re not charged until the item ships. There are exceptions at some retailers, such as using Apple Pay, but that is spelled out in their ordering policies.

Finally, the early bird gets the worm. I wasn’t even that early, I did not get my order in until 6:45a ET on launch day but my R3 is on its way to me now from B&H.
Enjoy! And be sure to let us know your first impressions.

Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
Got my preorder the same day (on Friday afternoon), but Canon ER-hE Eyecup (SKU: 4897C001) is out of stock.

FWIW, when I was pre-ordering, they asked me to provide my CPS number (It seems that CPS members' pre-orders are fulfilled first). I got mine on https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/canon-professional-services Even if it is not valid in North America (EMEA only), at least you are not required to own 2 bodies to become CPS member and there is no annual fee.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
When I pre-ordered by both internet and a local store, there was no exchange of money until the product was shipped or picked up in store.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
To all the happy:) R3 first users: please tell us how the eye-control AF performs on static and moving motives.
Thank you!
Long story short: it does work. Maybe less accurate than I've expected when I've used it for the first time, but it really does. Hopefully, with more calibration (you have to train the body) and the optional eyecup (out-of-stock right now), it will become even more accurate.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Alan B

1DX Mark III
Feb 2, 2021
I have that exact lens and those TC's so as soon as my pre-ordered R3 arrives I'll let you know!!
That would be awesome.

The problem with all these "tests" is they are always using the latest £££££ RF lenses and not one reviewer out there uses any of the EF lenses of the past(which is what a lot of photographers still have and use!)

Upvote 0