Stock Notice: Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM

Aug 10, 2021
Nice. I should have ordered sooner, but my back order is in place so I don’t lose my place in line. Though it’s strange, even now when I checked, it says “In Stock” but I don’t think that’s the case actually. Their website is kind of aggravating. I am hoping that it won‘t be on back order for very long. I suppose I can wait for a while, however I am just eager to get it.
Have you called to see how long the backorder list is? Maybe they can't/won't say...

Upvote 0
I couldn’t wait and got lucky with a used purchase. I use this lens for at least 80% of my weddings. From someone that shoots primarily 35, 50 and 85, this lens has made my day so damn convenient. You know how many times anyone in the wedding industry that shoots primes changes a lens? It’s silly And you will miss shots because of it. My second shooter is saving to switch to Canon because of this lens(She’s still shooting DSLR). And for any of you that are concerned with the lens being to heavy, you will no longer need to dual camera or carry a lens bag around your neck.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Well, after all the (self-induced) headache of checking multiple times a day and seeing in stock and then back-ordered throughout the day I have finally found an alternative. I was also checking places like Best Buy and lo and behold it was in stock. I managed to order it and now my order has shipped with tracking info. Now to cancel my back order with Canon.

The lens is now showing as Sold Out on Best Buy's website, by the way. Anyone who's still looking for the lens, keep an eye out at bestbuy.com. About 3 weeks ago it was in stock and I had it in my cart, but decided not to order. I kicked myself over that one, but thankfully I didn't need to wait too long for it to briefly show back up in stock.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I couldn’t wait and got lucky with a used purchase. I use this lens for at least 80% of my weddings. From someone that shoots primarily 35, 50 and 85, this lens has made my day so damn convenient. You know how many times anyone in the wedding industry that shoots primes changes a lens? It’s silly And you will miss shots because of it. My second shooter is saving to switch to Canon because of this lens(She’s still shooting DSLR). And for any of you that are concerned with the lens being to heavy, you will no longer need to dual camera or carry a lens bag around your neck.
I do believe the wedding/event shooters are exactly who this lens is for. You can get away with shooting almost entirely with just this lens and 1 body (which as you mentioned the extra weight more than compensates for the extra gear).

Keep in mind, I am not doing that on a regular basis. My usage of this zoom range is more run & gun or for travel. The 28-70 was a tad too big for doing that, but the 24-70 is much more manageable. If money was no object, I would have the 28-70 for when I could really use it... but I'll be honest, currently it's not really that often that I would need it, so priority dictates.

I was just trying to warn people to pick it up for the right reasons.

Upvote 0
I do believe the wedding/event shooters are exactly who this lens is for. You can get away with shooting almost entirely with just this lens and 1 body (which as you mentioned the extra weight more than compensates for the extra gear).

Keep in mind, I am not doing that on a regular basis. My usage of this zoom range is more run & gun or for travel. The 28-70 was a tad too big for doing that, but the 24-70 is much more manageable. If money was no object, I would have the 28-70 for when I could really use it... but I'll be honest, currently it's not really that often that I would need it, so priority dictates.

I was just trying to warn people to pick it up for the right reasons.

I agree with this sentiment, the size of the lens is not to be taken with a grain of salt. The 24-70 is more manageable, being a little more than 1 lb lighter and noticeably smaller. Having used the 28-70 prior to my purchase, I had an understanding of what I was getting into. I had seriously debated between the 24-70 versus going up to the 28-70, due to the size alone. The additional weight isn't much of a factor for me, however the physical size of it is a different story. For me, having one lens that will replace my 35mm 1.8 plus the other prime I would have bought, the 50 1.2, the 24-70 2.8, and possibly the 85mm 1.2 (or 2.0), made this a no-brainer.

I have the 24-105 f4 L, which I debated whether or not to sell. I will likely end up keeping it simply for the portability factor, being almost exactly half the weight of the 28-70 and a pretty small walk-around lens, plus the extended reach on both ends.

Side note: my package/lens is out for delivery and should be here within the next two hours :)

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I agree with this sentiment, the size of the lens is not to be taken with a grain of salt. The 24-70 is more manageable, being a little more than 1 lb lighter and noticeably smaller. Having used the 28-70 prior to my purchase, I had an understanding of what I was getting into. I had seriously debated between the 24-70 versus going up to the 28-70, due to the size alone. The additional weight isn't much of a factor for me, however the physical size of it is a different story. For me, having one lens that will replace my 35mm 1.8 plus the other prime I would have bought, the 50 1.2, the 24-70 2.8, and possibly the 85mm 1.2 (or 2.0), made this a no-brainer.

I have the 24-105 f4 L, which I debated whether or not to sell. I will likely end up keeping it simply for the portability factor, being almost exactly half the weight of the 28-70 and a pretty small walk-around lens, plus the extended reach on both ends.

Side note: my package/lens is out for delivery and should be here within the next two hours :)

I agree it's more the shape of the thing more than the weight, as I manage fine w/ the RF 100-500.

Unfortunately, I sold the 24-105/4L before making the 28-70/2L purchase (which I regretted a bit immediately after getting the 28-70/2L on my first walk-about outing). However it did put things in perspective. I found I really wanted more than the 24-105/4L, but was not willing to lug around the 28-70/2L, and the thought of me purchasing another 24-105/4L made me a little sick... so I figured the 24-70/2.8L fit the gap perfectly (which it did... note I already had the 70-200/2.8L). I find myself not feeling bad I got rid of either. But to your point, I would keep the 24-105/4L if I were you for the extra reach and for when you want to pack a bit lighter.

Hope you have fun w/ your new lens :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree it's more the shape of the thing more than the weight, as I manage fine w/ the RF 100-500.

Unfortunately, I sold the 24-105/4L before making the 28-70/2L purchase (which I regretted a bit immediately after getting the 28-70/2L on my first walk-about outing). However it did put things in perspective. I found I really wanted more than the 24-105/4L, but was not willing to lug around the 28-70/2L, and the though of me purchasing another 24-105/4L made me a little sick... so I figured the 24-70/2.8L fit the gap perfectly (which it did... note I already had the 70-200/2.8L). I find myself not feeling bad I got rid of either. But to your point, I would keep the 24-105/4L if I were you for the extra reach and for when you want to pack a bit lighter.

Hope you have fun w/ your new lens :)

Thanks, it just arrived! I am eager to fiddle with it some more! I used it previously when I only had the EOS R. Now that I have the R6 I am eager for the pairing together.

And most definitely; if I didn't still have the 24-105 f4... OR sold it like you did, I would have a hard time buying it or buying it again. The 24-70 f2.8 is just such a staple and while I like having the extra range at 105, I'd most likely appreciate the extra full stop of light more if making a decision on what to buy again. Probably a similar feeling of wanting more than just the 24-105 f4.

Additionally, I am hoping that by me getting the 28-70 f2, it will be just the push my fiance needs to make the switch to the R series. She's on a 5D mk IV and she's realizing just how much better the auto focus is on the R6. The last event we shot, which had terrible lighting, she expressed her envy of just how many of the images I took were completely in focus where she struggled to nail the focus.

Upvote 0