Stock Notice: Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM at Adorama

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Adorama finally has stock of the Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM lens.
Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM Key Features

First Compact and Lightweight 800mm Super Telephoto RF Lens
Excellent Portability made Easier with an Extending/Retracting Locking Lens Barrel Design
Gapless double-layer Diffractive Optics (DO) reduce Chromatic Aberration for High Image Quality
High Image Quality at a fixed f/11 Aperture
Optical Image Stabilization with up to 4 Stops of Shake Correction
Lead Screw-type STM enables Smooth Autofocusing for Still-image and Video Shooting
Control Ring for Direct Setting Changes
12-pin Communication System

Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM at Adorama $899

Continue reading...

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I've ordered one last thursday, it was "backordered - more coming soon" then. I hope this means mine is on its way!

I've bought it more out of curiosity than anything else but I am hitching to try it :D
I have found this lens to be a very nice addition to my kit. The lens is sharp and light. The f/11 scares people away, but given other advances in a camera's ability to handle low light the 800 can be used in dim as well as good light on a body like the R5. I have been using mine extensively for all sorts of bird work, including BIF. Please make sure you click on the image to enlarge it, or it will not look at all sharp. Cheers.

Attachments

• STK flight tail cock water 80011 3000 sm.jpg
    STK flight tail cock water 80011 3000 sm.jpg
    905.9 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

fabao

RF 10-24 f/4???
Apr 26, 2019
Fun lens to use and managed to take some nice BIF pictures as well. One issue I am finding though, is that, for small birds and when I crop heavily on my R5, even when a bird is standing and not moving, the resulting image quality is sub-par. Even when using a very fast shutter speed (1/2000) and making sure the camera is confirming focus on the eyes. Wonder if this is an issue with the high 45mp resolution of the camera and this lens, or my own incompetence. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Fun lens to use and managed to take some nice BIF pictures as well. One issue I am finding though, is that, for small birds and when I crop heavily on my R5, even when a bird is standing and not moving, the resulting image quality is sub-par. Even when using a very fast shutter speed (1/2000) and making sure the camera is confirming focus on the eyes. Wonder if this is an issue with the high 45mp resolution of the camera and this lens, or my own incompetence. Any suggestions?

Be closer.

Set up perches and feeders, use a blind. An 800mm lens can get you close enough to fill a frame that only requires cropping for composition.

Warblers and whatnot are not easy birds to capture.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I have not found any issues with the R5 out resolving the 800 11. I use the IS/IBIS on static subjects like warblers and have gotten results rivaling my 600 f/4 at shutter speeds as low as 1/50s hand held. Not boasting, just stating the facts as I have experienced them with this lens on the R5. There are drawbacks to this lens. First, it does not focus close at all. This can be an issue with small birds even if you can get close, you can only focus so close. You might want to make sure you are not inside the minimum focus distance and that is causing the less than sharp images you are getting. Also, you can not get that creamy smooth background that an f/4 600mm can produce unless the background elements are very far in the distance behind the subject. Other than that, I can't fault much with this lens.

Attachments

• Yellow warbler perched v twig 3000 sm.jpg
    Yellow warbler perched v twig 3000 sm.jpg
    921 KB · Views: 218
  • Yellow warbler perched v twig II 3000 sm.jpg
    Yellow warbler perched v twig II 3000 sm.jpg
    847.1 KB · Views: 211
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
If you are having to crop anyway, try shooting on the 1.6 crop setting. Enlarging the image in the viewfinder seems to help with autofocus accuracy. At least that's my experience with the 100-400 plus 1.4 extender. I don't know about the 800mm because my wife isn't sharing it with me. :) But, she seems to get good shots with it.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If you are having to crop anyway, try shooting on the 1.6 crop setting. Enlarging the image in the viewfinder seems to help with autofocus accuracy. At least that's my experience with the 100-400 plus 1.4 extender. I don't know about the 800mm because my wife isn't sharing it with me. :) But, she seems to get good shots with it.
Instead of crop mode, try it with the RF 1.4x - it works really well with the 800mm f/11.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I've bought it more out of curiosity than anything else but I am hitching to try it

Hitching
? Never mind. I bought mine to use. Butorides virescens, Green Heron. St Michaels, Eastern Shore of Maryland.View attachment 199016
Nice bird!
I only do occasional wildlife now when I travel. I used to be much more into it until my photography moved more towards fashion and kids (due to the birth of my daughter). I still like long teles and this one does not break the bank. I have the 100-500 as well. But to me it is an hitch :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

roby17269

Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I have found this lens to be a very nice addition to my kit. The lens is sharp and light. The f/11 scares people away, but given other advances in a camera's ability to handle low light the 800 can be used in dim as well as good light on a body like the R5. I have been using mine extensively for all sorts of bird work, including BIF. Please make sure you click on the image to enlarge it, or it will not look at all sharp. Cheers.
My main worry is actually the minimum focus distance.
But I am sure I will find some use for the new toy :D

Upvote 0

roby17269

Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I've ordered one last thursday, it was "backordered - more coming soon" then. I hope this means mine is on its way!

I've bought it more out of curiosity than anything else but I am hitching to try it :D
Update: picked it up 30 mins ago from the shop ;)
Now waiting for a) the hood and b) an opportunity to use it...

They still have some in stock

Upvote 0

CanonOregon

Having fun with what I have to shoot with now.
Sep 12, 2012
Oregon

I had to order one directly from Canon for a birding trip in May. It's surprisingly good, using it on an R6. I do wish that Canon would get their gear out to local dealers though, direct sales really hurts local retailers which is a dying breed as it is!

Attachments

• E14A1272-Edit.jpg
    E14A1272-Edit.jpg
    719.3 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I had to order one directly from Canon for a birding trip in May. It's surprisingly good, using it on an R6. I do wish that Canon would get their gear out to local dealers though, direct sales really hurts local retailers which is a dying breed as it is!
So far I have had good luck with Adorama but in principle I do agree with you

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I took mine out for BIF this afternoon to check it out. I normally like to use 400-600mm or less for BIF with fast moving birds as a narrower angle makes it difficult for me to keep them in frame (same with DIF). With the RF 800 you have to be very skilful to use it as the AF doesn't work over the whole image but only in a central square of about half the image, so you are trying to work within a field of view of about a 1200-1600mm lens - you either need very fast reflexes for faster closer birds or stick to slow moving, large, far away ones.

Upvote 0