Studio Recommendations

Jan 1, 2014
Hi,
For a long time I have been wanting to start a studio in the basement. Non professional, mainly for family and friends.
I would like to finally get started, perhaps a background with poles would be a good place to start? I have no typical studio equipment like lights, stands, backgrounds etc. I currently have the 5D III, 24-70 F2.8LII, 70-200 F2.8LII, Zeiss 135, EX 580II speedlite and perhaps also an older speedlite. I would like to start slow so please also advise about sequence of acquisition etc. My hope is that whatever I buy, would/could travel with me in bags? But not absolutely essential. I have learnt that it's cheaper in the long run to get good equipment rather than spend on successive upgrades. Thanks,
Ray

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I would probably start with getting a background. Rather than holding it with stands (they get in the way in a small space) put some hooks in the ceiling and suspend your pole from the hooks.

Step two would probably be a couple of light stands. You can get 250 and 500 watt daylight bulbs for almost nothing.... just make sure the head will handle the power. (almost all will)

Step 3, have fun! As a hobbyist, that's what it is all about....

and as you play, start thinking about studio flashes, multiple flashes, triggers, bounces, modifiers, etc etc... I'd recommend taking a course before you go that far as it can get really complex really fast

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
Don Haines said:
I would probably start with getting a background. Rather than holding it with stands (they get in the way in a small space) put some hooks in the ceiling and suspend your pole from the hooks.

Step two would probably be a couple of light stands. You can get 250 and 500 watt daylight bulbs for almost nothing.... just make sure the head will handle the power. (almost all will)

Good ideas. Any particular place to get backgrounds?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
ray5 said:
Don Haines said:

Good ideas. Any particular place to get backgrounds?
You can get them from camera stores..... that said, almost anything will do... I have a couple of cloth ones from the remnants bin at a fabric store, a flannel sheet with snowflakes printed on it, and a throw rug that has a nice pattern on it :)

Upvote 0
First thing - you'll also need to get the flash off camera. Yongnuo makes several wireless triggers that would work with that setup - about $15 each, one for the camera + one for each flash. This may also work with the older flash you might have as well. Add another flash or two for about $70 each as you get into it more. These don't have to be fancy flashes, as you'll probably just use them in manual mode anyway.

Next step is light stands and diffusers. I use the CheetahStand C8 as it is not crazy expensive and is easy to move around. You can get cheaper stands, but you said you wanted quality as well, and I think these are a good balance. Whatever stand you buy, you'll want at least two eventually. You'll also want some diffusers, and the cheapest of these are good old umbrellas. Amazon has a few stand + flash mount + umbrella packages for around $40.

For inexpensive backgrounds, you can use some cheap bedsheets. Full sized flat sheets are <$10 at Walmart, come in a variety of colors, and give you a roughly 5 foot by 7 foot working area. King/queen sheets are bigger, but cost more. You just want the flat sheets, not the whole bedding set with pillow cases and stuff.

For setting up a pole, the ceiling hooks are a good idea. Then just get a PVC pole ($5-10) and some line to run through the pole and attach to the hooks. Then attach a sheet with a few clamps. Should only take a minute or two to change sheets/colors. And you could take the whole thing down and leave only the hooks if desired. Line along, without the PVC pole, might work, but it would probably sag too much.

You could also get some colored paper and hang that with tape directly to the wall, but then changing colors is a pain, and it won't look as "neat."

I think you could get a pole, clamps, and a few sheets of different colors (probably black and white to start with) all for around $50. Another $50 or so for wireless triggers for your flashes. And $80 for cheap light stands and umbrellas.

If you want a portable background stand, look at the Westcott X-drop setup. 5x7, about $120 with one backdrop - and those flat sheets I mentioned are a perfect fit for the stand which keeps the cost down to add colors. All fits in a carry bag and takes just a few minutes to setup. Then just throw your flashes and light stands into a duffle bag and the whole thing can go anywhere.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Ray.
I visited a show late last year and one of the demos / try outs there was flash and models, we were shown the incredible difference a soft box (or other diffuser) can make, also we used 2 flashes jelled with different primary colours in a large softbox to create different coloured backgrounds by varying the power ratio. Since then I have tried it on a plain wall, it works ok but not as good as the softbox, that could be the flashes and jells or just that they are open, not sure how well it might work from behind a sheet acting as a soft box.
It might also be worth reading Strobist 101, I found it of great interest.
http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/lighting-101-to-go.html > takes you to the website with a link to the PDF document.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7GDplcFYn-iakYtaExlT0Q4WjQ/view?pref=2&pli=1 > the PDF document link.

Cheers, Graham.

ray5 said:
That's really creative! Thanks.
Keep going folks. As usual, this is very helpful.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
Valvebounce said:
Hi Ray.
I visited a show late last year and one of the demos / try outs there was flash and models, we were shown the incredible difference a soft box (or other diffuser) can make, also we used 2 flashes jelled with different primary colours in a large softbox to create different coloured backgrounds by varying the power ratio. Since then I have tried it on a plain wall, it works ok but not as good as the softbox, that could be the flashes and jells or just that they are open, not sure how well it might work from behind a sheet acting as a soft box.
It might also be worth reading Strobist 101, I found it of great interest.
http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/lighting-101-to-go.html > takes you to the website with a link to the PDF document.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7GDplcFYn-iakYtaExlT0Q4WjQ/view?pref=2&pli=1 > the PDF document link.

Cheers, Graham.

ray5 said:
That's really creative! Thanks.
Keep going folks. As usual, this is very helpful.

That's a good read. Thanks

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
ray5 said:
I saw some Paul C Buff studio packages. Anyone has any input on those? Or any other company?

Very highly recommend the Einsteins, actually all the Paul C Buff stuff is good to great, but the Einsteins are unmatched at twice the price.
Thanks. Is it prudent to start with a package or just with a background and work my way up?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ray5 said:
privatebydesign said:
ray5 said:
I saw some Paul C Buff studio packages. Anyone has any input on those? Or any other company?

Very highly recommend the Einsteins, actually all the Paul C Buff stuff is good to great, but the Einsteins are unmatched at twice the price.
Thanks. Is it prudent to start with a package or just with a background and work my way up?

Show or link to a few portraits in the style you want to shoot (not necessarily yours) and I'll list my recommendations for getting that lighting setup at a reasonable price. Framing makes a huge difference, are you looking to shoot full body, head and shoulders etc etc. A starter package for one person won't necessarily suit another, but I'd recommend thinking about one light, a decent softbox and grid, and a five way reflector.

Fill in some blanks and we can save you a lot of time and money.

Upvote 0
I'll add another vote on the Paul C Buff stuff, particularly the Einsteins. I have 3 of them now and they are all excellent. The packages save you money, but the biggest thing to know about ordering from them time and time again (as I have) is that they charge a fair bit for shipping. I agree with Private as far as knowing what style you want, but I'll add that their PLM system is an excellent value. I have the silver and soft silver versions and they are excellent. For people, I'd go with the white versions, of course.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
mackguyver said:
I'll add another vote on the Paul C Buff stuff, particularly the Einsteins. I have 3 of them now and they are all excellent. The packages save you money, but the biggest thing to know about ordering from them time and time again (as I have) is that they charge a fair bit for shipping. I agree with Private as far as knowing what style you want, but I'll add that their PLM system is an excellent value. I have the silver and soft silver versions and they are excellent. For people, I'd go with the white versions, of course.

Hey Mac, welcome back! :) :)

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
ray5 said:
privatebydesign said:
ray5 said:

Show or link to a few portraits in the style you want to shoot (not necessarily yours) and I'll list my recommendations for getting that lighting setup at a reasonable price. Framing makes a huge difference, are you looking to shoot full body, head and shoulders etc etc. A starter package for one person won't necessarily suit another, but I'd recommend thinking about one light, a decent softbox and grid, and a five way reflector.

Fill in some blanks and we can save you a lot of time and money.
So far I have mainly shot outdoors, under a tree or in some shade. Almost exclusively of couples and kids. Have done a variety of full body, head shots and more. No specific preferences. Haven't done any grungy stuff. I enjoy shooting folks the way they see themselves, at ease, chatting or doing something they enjoy. Try not do ask them to pose too much.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
Hi Ian,
Good to hear from you. I was looking at their packages. Don't know what PLM system means?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
ray5 said:
privatebydesign said:
ray5 said:

The background is the first step.... regardless of your lighting system(s), if you can't get the rec-room paneling out of your image you can't get a professional look to your shots.....

Upvote 0
Graham beat me to the Strobist 101 suggestion! :D

I don't have a studio, I shoot mainly outside and on the go. So I think it's worth the extra effort to make at least part of what you are buying somewhat portable. For instance, you might want to volunteer to shoot some event portraits, groups, small sports teams, etc. Having the portable option, even if you leave it set up in your basement most of the time is very handy. And it makes it easier to sell too with a wider market.

My thought is that if you are buying quality gear, you can easily use portable capable gear in a studio but it's hard to use less portable, heavier and more fragile studio gear in a portable setting.

Others here with more studio experience may offer better advice based on their own experience. I'm just thinking out loud and I have a couple photographer friends that work portably all the time.

Upvote 0
ray5 said:
mackguyver said:
Hi Ian,
Good to hear from you. I was looking at their packages. Don't know what PLM system means?
Hi Ray,

Good to talk with you again, too. PLM is parabolic light modifier, which is just a fancy curved umbrella. You can check them out, here: http://paulcbuff.com/plm.php

Also, Don's right about the background, unless you have some nice clean white walls... I use a reversible pop-up one from Lastolite, but unless it's needs to be portable, save your money and get something less expensive. Lastolite and FJ Westcott both make nice speedlite light modifiers if you want to stick with Canon flashes for now. I bought most of my studio lights before the RT lights and at the time a full three or four 580EX set up with Pocketwizard transceivers and such was considerably more than the Einsteins. That's not the case, now, so it's another option to consider.

Upvote 0