Suggestions for Death Valley Trip Early February

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I don't see a better place to post this, but seeking advice.

I am going to try to get to Death Valley for about 5 days of photography around February 1 ish.

I would greatly appreciate any/all advice/feedback/suggestions. My passion really is wildlife photography, and would love to get some wild animals there. I also know that there has been recent damage due to flooding.

I'm going with my sweetheart who puts up with me spending hours behind my camera, but she won't go somewhere cold (Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, etc,).

so, anybody have suggestions if this is a good time to go, where are some must shoot spots, and what time of day etc. if you would share.

Thanks in advance.

sek

February should be a good time to go for weather. I would not expect to see too much wildlife in Death Valley itself. Few birds and almost no large mammals certainly during the day. I'd go to the higher elevation to try to see sheep and deer at sunrise and set.

There is supposed to be a bird area near the town of I think Shoshone.

Beside dune landscapes and racetrack stones the night sky is fantastic so be sure to have a wide angle with little coma. Check the moon cycle and plan around it if you want star images. I'll try to post some images of the area later.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
applecider said:
February should be a good time to go for weather. I would not expect to see too much wildlife in Death Valley itself. Few birds and almost no large mammals certainly during the day. I'd go to the higher elevation to try to see sheep and deer at sunrise and set.

Beside dune landscapes and racetrack stones the night sky is fantastic so be sure to have a wide angle with little coma. Check the moon cycle and plan around it if you want star images. I'll try to post some images of the area later.

Will do, and thanks. I will take my Samyang 14mm 2.8, and 24-70 2.8L II, along for just that reason. Any other lenses that you would suggest?

Thanks
sek

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
applecider said:

Great suggestions. Looks like wildlife opportunities will be rare indeed, but timing will have to center around work rather than best animal sightings (which won't likely be target rich anyway). Still, I think that this should be awesome. Up to me to find the magic and do it justice photographically.

Just boutht an e-book for 19.95 called "Desert Paradise The Landscape Photographer's Guide to Death Valley National Park", by Ron Coscorrosa and Sara Marino. 132 pages with everything from subjects & techniques to tips, locations, and planning info. Maps too. I googled iterations photgraphing Death valley books or some other words and found about a half dozen worthy books.

I May get another book, but time is always in short supply.

Thank you so much.

sek

Upvote 0