Look up "thatnikonguy" on youtube, he has down a reasonably extensive though non scientific comparison of most of these. I bought the tamron 24-70 2.8 VC last week, one of very few in AUS. I returned it due to it being a soft copy but some other stuff i noticed:ruuneos said:I'm pretty sure that we are going to see that battle at DigitalRev!new-z said:when this lens will be available, I hope to find a completed test which will compare theses standard zooms
- Canon 24-70 L 2.8 USM
- Canon 24-70 L 2.8 USM II
- Tamron 24-70 L SP 2.8 VC
- Sigma 24-70 DG EX HSM
1. The VC has an activation delay. On my 24-105L the IS started as soon as i pressed the shutter, on the tamron it seems to not respond for a little under a second and then start working.
2. The vignetting is a non issue in the field.
3. The build is solid though only slightly less so than the canon 24-70 mkI
4. The AF is quick enough for anythign short of fast paced sport 1m from the camera.
5. The weight feels right on my gripped 5d, good balance.