Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/11/tamron-70-200-f2-8-di-vc-usd-hands-on/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/11/tamron-70-200-f2-8-di-vc-usd-hands-on/">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>The new Tamron 70-200!

</strong>A lot of people have been eager to hear and see how good the new <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892851-REG/Tamron_20_200mm_F_2_8_DI_VC.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC</a> lens is. Coming in at a mere $1499 compared to <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680103-USA/Canon_2751B002_EF_70_200mm_f_2_8L_IS.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">$2099 for the Canon version</a>, it has a chance to sell well for Tamron if it can at least be close to the highly regarded Canon.</p>
<p>Photo News had a chance to play with one and have come away pretty positive about the Tamron. There are lots of pictures and thoughts about build, the AF and optical performance of the lens.</p>
<p><strong>From Photo News</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>The Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD brings Tamron’s legendary optical performance into the 21st century with the addition of USD and VC. The autofocus is fast with the addition of USD, the VC is effective , and the image quality is what we’re used to from this legend. Tamron has fixed a few quirks of the older version and we’d feel comfortable taking this lens on any job or just a walk in the park. The deciding factor for this lens will be the price point.</p></blockquote>
<p>The Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD is due to start shipping on November 30, 2012.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.photonews.ca/?p=5849" target="_blank">Read the entire review</a></strong></p>
<p><strong>Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD $1499 at <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892851-REG/Tamron_20_200mm_F_2_8_DI_VC.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">B&H Photo</a> | <a href="http://www.adorama.com/TM70200VEOS.html?kbid=64393" target="_blank">Adorama</a> | <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A34GQEC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00A34GQEC&linkCode=as2&tag=canorumo-20" target="_blank">Amazon</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

I'll wait to see more formal testing then just a few handheld field shots, but it certainly looks tempting. I just got the Tamron 24-80 f/2.8 -- barely used it yet, but so far it seems fantastic and a great price compared to Canon (even though it doesn't have the red ring).

Actor Headshots NYC | Gotham Family Photos | NY Wedding Photography

Upvote 0
sunseeker said:
"LEGENDARY" quality for Tamron? Let's say it's acceptable. How can that guy call it LEGENDARY? Did they try the 18-270?!
Yeah, that kind of jumped out at me too .... someone was just copying a press release for part of the article. Hopefully the review portion was based on the author's judgment and not the publicity agent's.

Actor Headshots NYC | Gotham Family Photos | NY Wedding Photography

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
This will be a difficult decision for me. I have the SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, love it, and have no intention of "upgrading" to the EF24-70L II due to $700+ price difference and IS. I know there are a lot of granite-armed gunslingers out there who insist that IS is not necessary in this focal range, but I find it incredibly useful. This choice is not so obvious as it is more apples to apples. I look forward to seeing more samples and some in depth reviews. Hey Rogier, how about a quickie? I am still hoping the EF70-200L II will drop below the $2000 level sometime after the holidays. Thankfully, I have a copy of the most wonderful EF70-200 f/4L IS, so I'm in no major hurry...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Dylan777 said:
It doesn't have the red ring, therefore, I'll stay with Canon f2.8 IS II ;D

But it could have the red ring... I have added the red ring to several zoom lenses. Go to the grocery store, get some broccoli, go home and eat it. Take the red rubber band that was on the broccoli and stetch it over your lens and voila! You have a lens with a red ring!

Seriously though, you can use an appropriate sized rubber band, half on the zoom ring and half on the lens body, to combat the evils of lens creep :)

Upvote 0
That's real nice to see the third party manufacturers can make good lenses. Thus, we will have more choices and it could push Canon making better products for us. However, this lens is too late on the market. Canon 70-200 F/2.8 IS MK2 have been released for three years. Moreover, if the IQ is only similar to Canon 70-200 F/2.8 IS MK2, 1500 USD is too expensive. The reasonable price tag should be about 1300 USD.

Upvote 0
that1guyy said:
I'm loving these third party lenses.

On my wish list:
Sigma 35 1.4
Tamron 70-200 2.8
Also need a 17 - 55 (approx) but the Canon f2.8 one is too expensive. Anyone know if the Sigma 17-50 2.8 is good?

the tamron 17-50 2.8 without VC is supposed to be pretty good, apparently the VC version is a bit softer. That being said I used to own a canon 17-55 2.8 it was awesome and I still miss that range on FF. the 24-70 gets close, but I loved the fact that at 55mm on apc c the canon was a good portrait lens too. 70 on ff is just a little short of ideal.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
cliffwang said:
That's real nice to see the third party manufacturers can make good lenses. Thus, we will have more choices and it could push Canon making better products for us. However, this lens is too late on the market. Canon 70-200 F/2.8 IS MK2 have been released for three years. Moreover, if the IQ is only similar to Canon 70-200 F/2.8 IS MK2, 1500 USD is too expensive. The reasonable price tag should be about 1300 USD.

Agreed. However, Tamron tends to offer year-round rebates once a lens has been released for a few months, so I would expect the street price will be closer to your $1,300. Even at that though, for U.S. customers, the price of a refurbished 70-200 L II is not that much more when it is on special.

Upvote 0
This is so tempting. Oh so tempting. I'd love to see a comparison shoot of this and the Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II with the same body (preferably 5d3, but 1dX would work as well), and with MFA. I'd also love a real world test of the weather-sealing on both of them, although I know the Canon's is quite good. If the Tamron claims weather-sealing, it needs to keep up. The other downside is I can't get CPS service on the Tamron...

Upvote 0
I have been looking forward to reviews of this lens. I have used the non-VC version and found it very competent optically but also found the AF too slow to use in professional work. I took some really nice pictures with it for a few weeks and then sold it. So, I am interested in this lens, but only if it is a true competitor for the Canon MKII version. I get this magazine (it comes free to those who have bought and registered Tamron products) and find that they strive towards objectivity (i.e. they will be honest about downsides to Tamron products) but will typically lean towards the glass-half-full perspective.

I am personally disappointed with a couple of things here:

#1 The very flat and uninspiring conditions don't lend itself to overwhelming pictures here. I would have liked to see a little more of a mixture of conditions (maybe some shots in the city at night) to show a larger gambit of color. That being said, the color on the mallards looks nice.

#2 They spoke of how great the bokeh was, but none of these image show off bokeh in any kind of meaningful way. How about getting a little closer to something?

I found the bokeh in the non-VC quite smooth, but I wouldn't say it threatened my 135L. One big plus of the original as the minimum focus distance, which allowed for very smooth flower shots like this one (SOOC)

Windblown by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

I wish they could have shown a little more inspiring images all with the text. I have been very pleased with the new 24-70 VC, and if this was a true match, it might be worth the money.

Upvote 0
P

PhotoNewsCanada

Thanks for sharing the article CR.

Just to clear up a few questions:

"Legendary image quality" - Probably a bit strong ;) but refers to the previous lens it replaces (at the price it sold for). Certainly not a reference to every lens Tamron has ever made, or a comparison to a 600L. If you haven't used the older 70-200mm, it was definitely sharp and contrasty but had a few drawbacks, namely focus speed. Simply put, it was slow.

Yes, the weather sucked. Toronto in November, what can you do? We plan to upgrade the review with some more shots as we get them, but wanted to give people a taste as soon as we could.

Who in Canada shoots the best lens reviews? We'll get the 70-200 in their hands.

Upvote 0
I am actually very interested in this offering. I cannot afford the Canon's MKII and it's MK I (with IS) is not as sharp as the non-IS version. If this is sharper and has better color contrast than Canon's non-IS and Sigma's OS, I will probably pull the trigger on this. Having said that, if this was priced $1300 or less then it's a real winner.

Upvote 0
lengendary. I think they should have said "super awesome badass". howabout our bokeh? followed by shots that didn't really show any. then they, the "review" site, come on here and ask for our advise to locate a good reviewer guy so they can get him one of these lenses to review... weird. i know you are the importer, but man...
with all that sillyness said, i do hope it all pans out, and that this lens is as good as stated. That'd be great. choice is great.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.