Tamron adds EOS R support to the SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Last edited:
Actually, what was announced on 19 February is a firmware update for the Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD (Model A011), the 'G1' version.
New firmware version makes the model compatible with Canon "EOS R" and Canon "Mount Adapter EF-EOS R" for general operations
The lens has to be sent to and updated by Tamron.

Source: https://www.tamron.jp/en/support/azukari.html

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Actually, what was announced on 19 February is a firmware update for the Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD (Model A011), the 'G1' version.

The lens has to be sent to and updated by Tamron.

Source: https://www.tamron.jp/en/support/azukari.html

This is due to the fact that the Tamron 150-600mm model A011 was introduced right before Tamron announced and started manufacturing their upgraded SP line of lenses and introduced their "Dock" at the same time. This model A011 and their big hit lens, the 15-30mm f2.8 VC (G1) were both very popular and good lenses but released months before the Dock and the new SP lineup.
(Sigma did the same thing when they introduced the rebranding of their lenses with the Global Vision line up: Contemporary, Art, and Sport series.)

But most, if not all of you, already know/are-aware of this...

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
The online version of the firmware edition would be for t he G2 version which is Dock compatible - but you have to buy the Dock. When spending $$-$$$ on a lens (or lenses) for 3-party I don't know why one wouldn't spend the extra $49-$69 for the Dock (or the Sigma version for their lenses). I would imagine any Tamron lens owners that pre-date their SP lineup and have purchased an EOS R or are considering the R or the just announced RP could/would send their lenses into Tamron for any firmware update that becomes available.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
The online version of the firmware edition would be for t he G2 version which is Dock compatible - but you have to buy the Dock. When spending $$-$$$ on a lens (or lenses) for 3-party I don't know why one wouldn't spend the extra $49-$69 for the Dock (or the Sigma version for their lenses).

On my Oly, to update the lens firmware you mount the lens on the camera, connect the camera to a computer, and run the Olympus viewer/editor software. If it detects that an update is available, it downloads it onto the computer and then installs it onto the lens. No docks. No shipping out.

They have had this ability for at least 15 years and I don’t understand why nobody else does it.......

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
On my Oly, to update the lens firmware you mount the lens on the camera, connect the camera to a computer, and run the Olympus viewer/editor software. If it detects that an update is available, it downloads it onto the computer and then installs it onto the lens. No docks. No shipping out.

They have had this ability for at least 15 years and I don’t understand why nobody else does it.......
I think Canon started doing it with the EF 40mm lens in 2012, I updated my firmware for that lens thru the camera. I don't know if other recent lenses have that feature or not, Canon firmware updates for lenses are infrequent but happen. I do reall some big whites having a requirement to send them to Canon for updates, but that could have involved hardware swaps.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...tm/ef-40mm-f2-8-stm?subtab=downloads-firmware

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014

In the situation with updating your Olympus lenses though, it's all Oly equipment, including the camera correct? I wonder if you could do that with say a Panasonic M4/3 lens mounted on your Oly camera? I'm guessing that you could not do that. Or conversely if your Oly lens was mounted on a Panasonic G9 or G85, etc, you could not update it that way either... But who knows?

I know that I wouldn't be keen on having a Tamron or Sigma lens attached to my Canon camera body and try and run a software update to the lens this way - thru the camera body. If it would even work, which my money would be on it not being possible...

Upvote 0