Tamron to Announce 70-210mm f/4 Di VC USD

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
9,134
1,961
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><a href="http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2018/02/70-210mm-f4-di-vc-usd.html">According to Nokishita</a>. Tamron will soon announce a 70-210mm f/4 Di VC USD.</p>
<p>Is this the lens that was <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/tamron-teases-a-new-lens-ahead-of-cp/">teased last weak</a>?</p>

		<style type='text/css'>
			#gallery-1 {
				margin: auto;
			}
			#gallery-1 .gallery-item {
				float: left;
				margin-top: 10px;
				text-align: center;
				width: 33%;
			}
			#gallery-1 img {
				border: 2px solid #cfcfcf;
			}
			#gallery-1 .gallery-caption {
				margin-left: 0;
			}
			/* see gallery_shortcode() in wp-includes/media.php */
		</style>
		<div id='gallery-1' class='gallery galleryid-33763 gallery-columns-3 gallery-size-thumbnail'><dl class='gallery-item'>
			<dt class='gallery-icon landscape'>
				<a href='http://www.canonrumors.com/tamron-to-announce-70-210mm-f-4-di-vc-usd/tamron-4/'><img width="168" height="168" src="http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/tamron-168x168.jpg" class="attachment-thumbnail size-thumbnail" alt="" srcset="http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/tamron-168x168.jpg 168w, http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/tamron-144x144.jpg 144w" sizes="(max-width: 168px) 100vw, 168px" /></a>
			</dt></dl><dl class='gallery-item'>
			<dt class='gallery-icon landscape'>
				<a href='http://www.canonrumors.com/tamron-to-announce-70-210mm-f-4-di-vc-usd/tamron_1-4/'><img width="168" height="168" src="http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/tamron_1-168x168.jpg" class="attachment-thumbnail size-thumbnail" alt="" srcset="http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/tamron_1-168x168.jpg 168w, http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/tamron_1-144x144.jpg 144w" sizes="(max-width: 168px) 100vw, 168px" /></a>
			</dt></dl><dl class='gallery-item'>
			<dt class='gallery-icon landscape'>
				<a href='http://www.canonrumors.com/tamron-to-announce-70-210mm-f-4-di-vc-usd/tamron_2-2/'><img width="168" height="168" src="http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/tamron_2-168x168.jpg" class="attachment-thumbnail size-thumbnail" alt="" srcset="http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/tamron_2-168x168.jpg 168w, http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/tamron_2-144x144.jpg 144w" sizes="(max-width: 168px) 100vw, 168px" /></a>
			</dt></dl><br style="clear: both" />
		</div>

<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
 

slclick

Unsolicited & Always Free
Dec 17, 2013
4,500
2,787
Crazy. We were just discussing if there would ever be a 3rd party option of the f/4 variants. Boom. Now, will this lens have G2 goodies? Because the 2.8 G2 is the giant killer for an amazing price.
 

9VIII

EOS 5D Mark IV
Feb 8, 2013
1,843
0
I’m sure it’s a great lens, but for any Rebel owner Tamron is competing with the 55-250STM, which as far as I can tell is about as sharp as the push/pull Canon 100-400 on Full Frame (at equivalent FOV), and it’s as light as a feather, and costs less than $200.
This thing needs excelent AF, a good 4 stops worth of practical stabilization and center sharpness out the wazoo if it’s going to be perceived as a good value.

If there’s one thing Canon has done right it’s their budget EF-S lenses (55-250STM, 24mm Pancake, 10-18STM).
 

ajfotofilmagem

EOS 5D Mark IV
Aug 23, 2013
2,382
83
Bahia Brazil
9VIII said:
I’m sure it’s a great lens, but for any Rebel owner Tamron is competing with the 55-250STM, which as far as I can tell is about as sharp as the push/pull Canon 100-400 on Full Frame (at equivalent FOV), and it’s as light as a feather, and costs less than $200.
This thing needs excelent AF, a good 4 stops worth of practical stabilization and center sharpness out the wazoo if it’s going to be perceived as a good value.

If there’s one thing Canon has done right it’s their budget EF-S lenses (55-250STM, 24mm Pancake, 10-18STM).
I believe this Tamron 70-210mm is not intended for users of Rebel cameras, but users of 5D Mark ii, 6D, and other full-frame low-cost.

In fact EF-S 55-250mm STM is a rare jewel, and probably the new Tamron will not outperform it in terms of image quality when mounted on APS-C cameras.
 

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
2,083
364
Vancouver, BC
ajfotofilmagem said:
9VIII said:
I’m sure it’s a great lens, but for any Rebel owner Tamron is competing with the 55-250STM, which as far as I can tell is about as sharp as the push/pull Canon 100-400 on Full Frame (at equivalent FOV), and it’s as light as a feather, and costs less than $200.
This thing needs excelent AF, a good 4 stops worth of practical stabilization and center sharpness out the wazoo if it’s going to be perceived as a good value.

If there’s one thing Canon has done right it’s their budget EF-S lenses (55-250STM, 24mm Pancake, 10-18STM).
I believe this Tamron 70-210mm is not intended for users of Rebel cameras, but users of 5D Mark ii, 6D, and other full-frame low-cost.

In fact EF-S 55-250mm STM is a rare jewel, and probably the new Tamron will not outperform it in terms of image quality when mounted on APS-C cameras.

Yeah, this would be to compete with 70-200/f4 L IS.

Depending on its price and performance, I suppose it could be interesting. However, 70-200 is such a critical lens for so many people, and both the Canon f/4 and f/2.8 are such great lenses that I think it's a tough sell, as folks tend to be more price insensitive on the lens that are core to their task.

The problem is that the Canon lens is only about a thousand bucks, and I doubt the Tamron is going to be half that. Plus, the 2.8 now has some fierce sales, and many copies are available used, so there's competitive pressure from that front too.
 

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
8,265
1,935
Canada
I'm hoping it is compatible with the docking station... I think (hope) that all future Tamron and Sigma lenses should be "dockable" to receive updates.... that more or less eliminates the feat of incompatibilities with future bodies and is a great marketing point.....
 

bsbeamer

EOS RP
Nov 5, 2011
302
33
210 is interesting, I guess... If this is SIGNIFICANTLY less weight and price, it could be a great lens for a 2nd kit. Anything over $750 and I'd go with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM instead.

Have the SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD (G1) and it's a great lens. A little on the heavier side, but that's expected. Biggest issue with this lens (and all 3rd party) is with video usage on 5D4 and not getting built in lens corrections. It's problematic for vingetting and especially noticeable on full frame. Waiting for the Canon 24-70 with IS (for YEARS) and will likely switch over if I'm still on EF & EF-S at that point.
 

mistaspeedy

EOS RP
Apr 5, 2015
236
6
I am also interested in this lens. Something higher quality than the 70-300 (any manufacturer), but less expensive than the 70-200 F2.8 options.

I will be replacing most, if not all pieces of my camera kit at the end of April, when I will be in Cologne, Germany. They have many good quality 2nd hand stores for photography equipment, as well as new of course.

So far my plan seems to be this:

- 1D mark II - upgrade to used 6D
- Tamron 28-75 F2.8 - get my current copy of this lens serviced and see how it performs on the 6D, and if I will be happy with it.
- Keep my Canon 50mm F1.4 USM, see how it works with the 6D.
- Look for other lenses to use with the 6D.
 

CanonFanBoy

Purple
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
5,579
3,979
Irving, Texas
ajfotofilmagem said:
9VIII said:
I’m sure it’s a great lens, but for any Rebel owner Tamron is competing with the 55-250STM, which as far as I can tell is about as sharp as the push/pull Canon 100-400 on Full Frame (at equivalent FOV), and it’s as light as a feather, and costs less than $200.
This thing needs excelent AF, a good 4 stops worth of practical stabilization and center sharpness out the wazoo if it’s going to be perceived as a good value.

If there’s one thing Canon has done right it’s their budget EF-S lenses (55-250STM, 24mm Pancake, 10-18STM).
I believe this Tamron 70-210mm is not intended for users of Rebel cameras, but users of 5D Mark ii, 6D, and other full-frame low-cost.

In fact EF-S 55-250mm STM is a rare jewel, and probably the new Tamron will not outperform it in terms of image quality when mounted on APS-C cameras.

I think the Tamron would have faster AF against the STM lens. That's a big deal at these focal lengths.
 

slclick

Unsolicited & Always Free
Dec 17, 2013
4,500
2,787
I'm on the fence over a waiting for a nw non L 85 and 135 L whatever IS or not and some new 70-200 variant but not anything heavy. I am in the heavy bag, light camera camp. It's called the waiting game at this point.
 

vangelismm

EOS 90D
Jul 28, 2015
125
81
slclick said:
Crazy. We were just discussing if there would ever be a 3rd party option of the f/4 variants. Boom. Now, will this lens have G2 goodies? Because the 2.8 G2 is the giant killer for an amazing price.

I always wondered this too.
 

Sharlin

EOS R
CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
1,365
1,267
Turku, Finland
I suspect this will be quite aggressively priced. Perhaps as low as $600, with the tripod collar an optional accessory (probably going to be the same collar as the 100-400 for extra synergy).
 

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
654
408
39
Philadelphia
Seriously what is this crap. Why even makes lens like this. and what is the 10 extra MM suppsoed to do. companies need to focus on making lens sharper, smaller, and better in low light and introduce ranges that arent around.
 

Sharlin

EOS R
CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
1,365
1,267
Turku, Finland
I’m fairly sure Tamron knows roughly inifinity times better what sort of lenses are better business-wise than Random CR Commenter #85549 ::)

> smaller
> better in low light

Also, physics called. They’d have a word.
 

andrei1989

EOS RP
Sep 1, 2014
392
85
32
RayValdez360 said:
Seriously what is this crap. Why even makes lens like this. and what is the 10 extra MM suppsoed to do. companies need to focus on making lens sharper, smaller, and better in low light and introduce ranges that arent around.

stupid tamron is *******! why didn't they make this 70-210 f/4 to actually be 50-300 f/2.8

anyway, ignoring random reality disconnected internet user, this is actually cool. some 30 years ago sigma, tokina and canon had 70-210mm lenses but f/2.8

unfortunately for tamron, my canon 55-250 STM gives me a good reason not to buy this...or the canon 70-200 f4, however much i would want to...
 

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
8,265
1,935
Canada
RayValdez360 said:
what is the 10 extra MM suppsoed to do. companies need to focus on making lens sharper, smaller, and better in low light and introduce ranges that arent around.

You realize that the demand for "smaller" conflicts with the demand for "better in low light".....

Also, the extra 10mm introduces a range that isn't around.......
 
Given the quality of recent Tamron lenses this should be great. I think a lot of users don't want the price and weight of an f2.8 (which is why Canon makes an f4 version). My hope is that Tamron will next make an affordable super telephoto with one stop smaller aperture (meaning a 500 f5.6).
 

ajfotofilmagem

EOS 5D Mark IV
Aug 23, 2013
2,382
83
Bahia Brazil
CanonFanBoy said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
9VIII said:
...If there’s one thing Canon has done right it’s their budget EF-S lenses (55-250STM, 24mm Pancake, 10-18STM).
I believe this Tamron 70-210mm is not intended for users of Rebel cameras, but users of 5D Mark ii, 6D, and other full-frame low-cost.

In fact EF-S 55-250mm STM is a rare jewel, and probably the new Tamron will not outperform it in terms of image quality when mounted on APS-C cameras.

I think the Tamron would have faster AF against the STM lens. That's a big deal at these focal lengths.
Who has not used it, does not know: EF-S 55-250mm has very fast autofocus, and greatly outperforms the EF 70-300USM.

We must stop the myth that "STM is always slow". This bias comes from those who only used the pancakes or 50mm STM.