Tascam DR-60D Mark II

I only just found out that Tascam has released a Mark II of its Tascam DR-60D. The important difference between the two seems to be that the new version can give up to 64db of gain.

Has anyone who had the Mark I used the Mark II. Is it worth the upgrade?

Thanks.

Ps. Also, when you record do you use the Camera Out or Line Out on the Tascam to record to the camera? I have been using the Camera Out but I believe the signal from the Line Out is stronger which would be useful in some circumstances.

I have the mark 1. Cannot comment on mark 2.

I find phantom power on mid is very very clean. This is powerful enough to run a medium hot mic like my Rode NTG-2's and a cold mic like my ECM-77.

Buy. A. Lot. Of. Batteries.

I use the camera out. Turned up full. Line level out could wreck your cameras pre-amps if you happen to turn it above 1. You'll be fine with the tascams pre-amps. You can always ramp up the on-camera audio.

Upvote 0
Tinky, I have had the Mark I for quite some time now and use it a lot. No need for batteries as I run it off the mains, which is perfect and easy to do if you buy the adapter.

Like you, I normally use the Camera Out (set to 10) to record to the camera but have used Line Out set at 2 or 3 on occasion without issue.

I was just wondering about the Mark II, as I only found out the other day that Tascam had released one.

Upvote 0
By the looks of it, very minor upgrades. They launched another unit altogether the DR70D which looks like a beefier unit and more sensible upgrade, if you really felt it would address a specific complaint. There are always mk2s. Planned obselesance and all that.

My mk1 is working well. I had messed around with zooms and beachteks and never quite happy, apart from the battery issue, the mk1 is great, so I go with Murphy's law...

Upvote 0
Thanks, Tinky. I am also very happy with the Mark I, and I agree that it does look like a very minor upgrade. In fact it almost looks to me like that made a mistake with the Mark I and quietly rectified it.

I have noticed that the signal from camera out can be quite weak, especially if someone has a soft voice and I wonder whether that is what they have fixed.

Sure, you can play with those things in post, but it is the reason I sometimes use Line Out for my interviews.

I did look at the DR-70D and notice that in their images they mount it on top of the DSLR which is what I do with the DR-60D at the moment. That's different from Tascam's images where they normally place the DR-60D below the DSLR which I never liked when I tried it.

I think the main advantage of the DR-70D is that there are 4XLR mic inputs which would be terrific for 3- or 4-way interviews.

The DR-60D only has Camera In and Line/Camera Out not both Camera Out and Line Out like the DR-60D.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Also very happy with the MkI. No complaints at all. You might get a runout MkI at a great price if you're on a budget. I've been getting all-day power from the amazing value Xiaomi 10400 milliamp-hour battery which I picked up for under $30. Primarily bought for my power hungry iPhone 6, it's a great power source for the Tascam. I was using my Paul C Buff VLM batteries but they have a built in cooling fan which is usually silent but tended to kick in right when you were recording somewhere quiet. Get a Xiaomi...

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/04/lightning-review-xiaomis-portable-battery-is-ridiculously-powerful/

-pw

Upvote 0
pwp said:
Also very happy with the MkI. No complaints at all. You might get a runout MkI at a great price if you're on a budget.
-pw

I have had the Tascam DR-60D for quite a long time now, and really like it. I do mention this in one or more of the posts above.

I just did not realise they had brought out a Mark II and had not noticed the DR-70D as well, which I am interested in now because of the 4 XLR inputs.

To power the DR-60D I use the Tascam - PS-P515U AC to USB Power Adapter which I am also very happy with.

Upvote 0