TDP posted RF 85 review

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It was a really nice read to ease the wait before I get my hands on my copy tomorrow :cool:

So, it's 'tomorrow' now, how do you like it? I'm still undecided on whether to get the RF50 or RF85. I liked the RF85 more when I rented both, but using that focal length around the house I keep running out of space to zoom with my feet.

But when using it to shoot 4k with the 1.8x crop on the R of a swimming lesson at f/1.2 it's pretty much a miracle lens. No CA, sharp at all distances, smooth focus and a DoF just large enough to keep my 3 year old in focus, blur out everyone else.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
So, it's 'tomorrow' now, how do you like it? I'm still undecided on whether to get the RF50 or RF85. I liked the RF85 more when I rented both, but using that focal length around the house I keep running out of space to zoom with my feet.

But when using it to shoot 4k with the 1.8x crop on the R of a swimming lesson at f/1.2 it's pretty much a miracle lens. No CA, sharp at all distances, smooth focus and a DoF just large enough to keep my 3 year old in focus, blur out everyone else.
Literally 15 minutes left :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Finally I got to try it out and it is absolutely mind blowing. The AF seems both faster and more “not messing around” than the RF50, which is the best I’ve tried with accuracy ever. It seems to actually take everything a notch up from the RF50, which again is mind blowing already.

IQ and AF are truly incredible and for a lens this fast there is nothing around that comes close I think.

It’s big, but I would’ve thought it would be heavier. It feels lighter almost than the 50, probably because it looks quite a bit bigger.

Just an instant favorite. Can’t wait to shoot lots and lots with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
It’s big, but I would’ve thought it would be heavier. It feels lighter almost than the 50, probably because it looks quite a bit bigger.
[..]

After a few days my wife said "This is the 50, right?" while taking pictures when it was the 85. Even on the RP it doesn't feel that big or heavy, even if it looks cartoonish.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0