That’s all folks, for me anyway. Canon Rumors will live on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Sorry to hear all this Craig. I've absolutely no idea what its about. Not sure how Youtube influencers come into the picture.
I take them with a piece of salt, some are good some are not. All are trying to make a buck and need controversy to drive traffic.
No idea why anyone would need to attack you. Not sure what in this site in particular would cause someone to do that.
It's always been informative and exciting at times with the rumours. It's made photography and progress of technology interesting.
Exciting moments were the arrival of the 5DIII, 5DIV, R5 , R3. Speculation on specs was always exciting.
I find it interesting concern expressed by some people here who have no hesitation in laying into other people if they don't agree with their "facts".
As long as their "facts" are correct in their heads they are free to say what ever they like about someone elses comments.
It seems to bring out the worst in people which is a pity. The urge to prove themselves correct overides any common decency in commenting on others comments. It seems to be impossible to overcome on the internet. People with shortcomings in their real world lives seem to find the internet and ideal oppotunity to show their superiority and vent spleen.
There are good people here like Mt Spokane and Alan F who have been great at providing information without being condescending or plain rude and for me people like that make the site.
I'm sure after doing it for such a long time you heart perhaps is not in it anymore. I think you can look back with pride. It's been very successful in its own little niche.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
It’s truly incomprehensible that posting photography information would lead to the situation you’re in. By far I spend more time reading and enjoying this website than any others I frequent. I wish the best for you and your family.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

So very sad to read this. I have followed this site most days for several years. It's the only site I follow which doesn't have tens of millions of other users. It's been a wonderful source if information and fuelled in me a passion for the simple challenge of making good photos.

I have been constantly grateful to many contributors who have consistently managed to demonstrate how to be very clever and yet humble - how to behave decently in public. I have probably learned as much about how to behave (and how not to) from this site as I have about photography.

I have always thought that you Craig have been a prime example of what a good moderator looks like - tolerant of diverse opinions and personalities and managing to keep the site free of dreadful people with an apparently light touch.

I am so sorry to hear that you are the victim of online abuse - I cannot begin to imagine how awful it must be to receive threats to your family.

I wish you all the best and offer my warmest thanks.

Richard

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
The keyboard terrorists are a sad manifestation of how technology has most definitely not benefitted us, and reveals the true nature of some so-called human beings (qv. populist demagogues). And there will be a lot more to come before a solution, if any, ever comes. Your hard work Craig has been of huge value to many, and I thank you for all you have done. Take care and best wishes. If you ever find yourself in Scotland, look me up! Alistair

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I appreciate all the good people, I really do.

The nonsense has continued throughout the day, and I've had to delete some stuff on this thread from new sign-ups and all of that. So I'm going to lock the thread up.

I will be spending the weekend getting Ethan up to speed on the backend, he will be one of the new writers during the transition. I will be providing them with information that comes to me for the coming weeks or months until the sale of the site is finalized. These things take time. I am confident that the new owner will have more time than I do to improve the site and continue the great community you all seem to have built here.

The moderators here have always had full autonomy, and that won't change.

CR Pro memberships won't be affected in any way. New signups from December will get their software code on February 18, 2022. I will be emailing all of those people this week with the information.

Maybe last night was a "meltdown", and that's fine. If you look, I'm sure the screenshots are out there. Folks should consider that perhaps I know things that they don't, sort of like future cameras and lenses. What's done is done and I can't take it back.

Onward and upward.

Thanks.
Craig

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 77 users
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.