The Brain And Photography

Sabaki said:
Hi everybody :)

So here's one of those questions that I'm finding difficulty in wording but I need insights, experiences and whatever else to get to the next level in my photography.

So where am I right now in my photography? Well, I'm quite capable of taking images that are sharp, well exposed and with consideration for the basic compositional rules. I'm fairly good at using my kit too and mostly understand how to use filters, set my camera up for various genres like bif, macro & landscapes. I'm comfy with extension tubes and each day I'm understand my TS-E a bit better.

So I'm trying to understand what makes a good photograph, a great photograph and as the title of this post alludes to, I'm trying to figure out just how much the subconscious part of the brain factors into a wow photograph.

Here's what I believe are pleasing photographic compositional elements:
* Simplified compositions
* Leading lines
* Room to move into
* Line of sight
* Threes (colours/shapes/objects)
* Patterns (natural or artificial)
* Images with unappealing or distracting colours are candidates for black and white conversions

So I have some theory, what I'm trying to learn is how to take that theory into practice. But am I barking up the wrong tree here, is my approach to my photography to measured, to theoretical?
Which other approach should I consider to broach my hump?

Really, really keen on some insight please.

Thanks everyone

I think your description of understanding is to limited. You are missing a few things at the very least.

Keeping in mind that a truly great photo may not need any of these things in quality, it may only need to illicit the right emotion when viewed.

But I think you need to include an understanding of lighting. This isn't limited to flash, but to natural light also.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
Start with these two quotes:

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk."
- Edward Weston

"The so-called rules of photographic composition are, in my opinion, invalid, irrelevant and immaterial"
- Ansel Adams

Read "The Nature of Photographs" by Stephen Shore and also the introductory essay in John Szarkowski's "The Photographers Eye" NOT the Michael Freeman book of the same title, which is okay but you can learn a lot more in Szarkowski's six pages. Both of the authors explain the essential elements that make photographs different from any other art form. Understanding those core differences will get you started.

Pick up a few good books on the history and art of photography, as well as portfolios by master photographers. People like Edward Weston, Emmet Gowin, William Eggleston, Stephen Shore, Jerry Uelsmann, Paul Strand, Robert Frank, Walker Evans, Martin Parr, etc. etc.

Seeing and learning to appreciate great photographs will help you grow.

Thanks for this

I imagine the equipment Ansel Adams used, was probably inferior to the cameras we see on some mobile phones these days. Another thing Mr Adams probably never did, was rage about DR and tech talk in general. His compositions and processing was more than likely paramount.

I'm going to buy these books one by one and hopefully over time I'll absorb their essence and their message.

Upvote 0
I've been trying to improve my game as well.

any book of good photographs will help you improve your own photographic vision. Study images that please you and try to figure out why they appeal to you. Look at the compositional elements and how they're balanced in the frame. Examine the lighting in the frame. Try to absorb the image and internalize it.

I too like the Michael Freeman book. I've also learned a lot from books by Freeman Patterson, John Shaw and Art Wolfe.

Take a lot of pictures and examine them. Why did you take it? How could it have been improved? Camera position? Position of the subject in the frame? Focus (dof)? Did you capture what interested you about the subject? Try different crops of the image to get the best possible composition.

Upvote 0
Sabaki said:
unfocused said:
Start with these two quotes:

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk."
- Edward Weston

"The so-called rules of photographic composition are, in my opinion, invalid, irrelevant and immaterial"
- Ansel Adams

Read "The Nature of Photographs" by Stephen Shore and also the introductory essay in John Szarkowski's "The Photographers Eye" NOT the Michael Freeman book of the same title, which is okay but you can learn a lot more in Szarkowski's six pages. Both of the authors explain the essential elements that make photographs different from any other art form. Understanding those core differences will get you started.

Pick up a few good books on the history and art of photography, as well as portfolios by master photographers. People like Edward Weston, Emmet Gowin, William Eggleston, Stephen Shore, Jerry Uelsmann, Paul Strand, Robert Frank, Walker Evans, Martin Parr, etc. etc.

Seeing and learning to appreciate great photographs will help you grow.

Thanks for this

I imagine the equipment Ansel Adams used, was probably inferior to the cameras we see on some mobile phones these days. Another thing Mr Adams probably never did, was rage about DR and tech talk in general. His compositions and processing was more than likely paramount.

I'm going to buy these books one by one and hopefully over time I'll absorb their essence and their message.

The equipment Ansel Adams used was perfectly adapted to taking pictures.
About his 'tech talk' they have printed books: http://www.anseladamsbooks.com/techbooks.html

I read all his books many times but they did not turn me into an artist.

Upvote 0
My father is an FIAPS and FAPS, and is an accredited international photography judge.

He says to me that what HE looks for is the impact of the image.
Technical skills are not really that important if the subject matter and how it is photographed makes you go Ahhhh when you first see it.

However, if presented with 2 good, impactfull photos to judge, then the one with the better lighting and technical skills would win.

My dad was always in demand as a judge and often awarded people with an "eye" rather than on technical skills.

Upvote 0
Ogreatkman said:
Throwing this out there is, if your like lots of us, we dont make are primary living on this, for a living you might do what the client wants. But if your doing this as a hobby take the shot how you want it and makes it pop for you. Not very tech. but...
Just my 2 cents

This I like

Part of the recipe I imagine, is a road littered with failure until you find your unique expression

Upvote 0