The Canon EOS R3 will eliminate “Lag” and “Blackout” for stills shooters

D

Deleted member 381342

The "if you can afford an R3, 1DX3 (insert name here)" camera argument you can afford crazy high priced cards is just wrong. As a pro I need upwards of 20 cards on any given weekend. I don't shoot video, so SD cards are a stellar value. I would one thousand percent rather spend $4000-$5000 on a new body or lens than 20 CFExpress cards, or save the money and take my family on a great vacation! This is one of the main reasons I never upgraded from a 1DX2 to a 1DX3. Didn't want to spend thousands on memory cards.

If you need a professional camera like the R3 then you are also likely to need redundancy from dual cards. Your backup should be as good and reliable as your main card. As it stands you put in one CF Express card and leave the SD slot blank so not to slow down the camera and because SD isn't a backup; it's a failure waiting to happen.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I should think it'd be easy enough to use a motion detector to use the movement of the camera up to activate the EVF, without waiting for any buttons to be pressed. The motion of lifting the camera up should be distinct enough that it could avoid being activated during transport &c.

Canon, if you're reading this: I haven't patented the idea. :)
I was thinking the same thing.
The optic I have mounted on my carry concealed pistol does this....with movement it immediately illuminates and is ready to go.

That is in such a small package, I'd think it would be child's play to do this with a large camera.

cayenne

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
You are definitely correct. I accidentally left a pair of charged batteries in my R5 vertical grip for several weeks with the camera turned off (likely a couple of months) and when I went to use the camera both batteries were fully discharged! Wow! Normally, I remove batteries from the camera, but in this case I forgot.
Wow...that's interesting.

I've never thought of removing batteries from my cameras, ever....

Is this a common thing amongst us? Do ya'll always remove batteries when you come home and load when you are going out?

I just leave mine in. When I"m about to go out, ro maybe the night before I'll eyeball the camera and see what the charge level is.
I pretty much always have several batteries charged and I may "top off" one or two to make sure....

But I've never thought of removing batteries from my camera when I get home.

I keep them in in case I want to quickly turn it on and grab a quick shot of something that might be happening around the house, or an idea pops in my head I guess.

C

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

Is this a common thing amongst us? Do ya'll always remove batteries when you come home and load when you are going out?

I just leave mine in. When I"m about to go out, ro maybe the night before I'll eyeball the camera and see what the charge level is.
I pretty much always have several batteries charged and I may "top off" one or two to make sure....

I keep them in in case I want to quickly turn it on and grab a quick shot of something that might be happening around the house, or an idea pops in my head I guess.

C
I leave them in, but I try to check every other week the on the camera I don't use often enough. I use my R5 and M6II almost daily and recharge after use.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Here is the audio adapter for the new digital hotshoe. It will be made by Tascam, in partnership with Canon, Fujifilm and Nikon. It appears it will support 32-bit float audio. So say goodbye to clipping:
55D3324F-5D98-415F-8489-B419F822BD70.jpeg

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Here is the audio adapter for the new digital hotshoe. It will be made by Tascam, in partnership with Canon, Fujifilm and Nikon. It appears it will support 32-bit float audio. So say goodbye to clipping:
View attachment 199651

I guess the Z9 will have the same shoe.
Canon, Fuji, and Nikon teaming up will put Sony and Panasonic at a disadvantage.

Upvote 0
I agree with your sentiment but I am surprised that SD cards could keep up with the type of shots you posted earlier.
SD cards have no problem whatsoever keeping up with my high volume shooting. Been shooting this way to slower CF cards since 2004. Back then I'd bump up against the buffer/card limits but can't remember that happening in the last decade.

John

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
With any digital processing you will have lag. Fact of life. Even the simplest of digital systems will have lag. Let's get the terminology right. It is impossible to eliminate lag for a mirrorless camera. Impossible. You can achieve very tiny amount of lag by clocking your CPU to work small increments of time per cycle. The right terminology is they might be able to reduce the lag to the point most people will not notice it. Personally, I find even that doubtful. They can reduce the lag to the point where many won't care.
Very true, just as there is lag in sending the signal from your brain to your finger to push the shutter button and and lag from the time you start pushing the shutter button to the time is is depressed enough to trigger the start of the picture taking process. Part of dealing with all the lag is just learning a specific camera's lag and getting used to it. In my experience the lag in R5/R6 in no way negatively affected my timing in taking photos after a day or two of shooting.

Conversely having a bright viewfinder in dim lighting conditions most positively helped my timing just because I could see the action unfold much more clearly. Sometimes I would be using my 1DX2 with a different lens alongside an R5 or R6 and under these conditions when I looked through my 1DX2 it was like looking into a dark cave in comparison. Really made me appreciate the value of having an electronic viewfinder.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
If you need a professional camera like the R3 then you are also likely to need redundancy from dual cards. Your backup should be as good and reliable as your main card. As it stands you put in one CF Express card and leave the SD slot blank so not to slow down the camera and because SD isn't a backup; it's a failure waiting to happen.
Set the SD card to jpeg so you have a back up and it won't slow down your camera.
Most sports pros shoot jpegs most of the time anyway

Upvote 0
Actually I use a CF Express Card for backup (of which I bought 1 so I could have a backup card), and SD cards as my main cards in the R5. I was shooting JPG stills so performance was never a problem.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US

C
I only remove the batteries when storing the camera for more than a week. I have always been concerned with a battery leaking inside a camera when stored for more than a few days. I am probably a bit paranoid, but given the cost of the R5 and other digital cameras it makes sense to me.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Sony already has a multi interface hot shoe in its recent cameras, shame though that there isn’t one 1 standard.
That was the point I was trying to make.
Sony and Panasonic have audio division so they came up with their own smart hot shoes.
That put them at an advantage.
Canon, Fuji, and Nikon teamed up with TEAC to do the same.
A shared standard is more likely to attract more audio equipment makers and more camera makers.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK

C
I use my R5 on an almost daily basis, and I always top up the charge the night before. In the field I always have at least 2 fully charged batteries in my pocket, as the power consumption of the R5 is atrocious, even on minimal power settings, rear screen turned off, no chimping, and all timers etc on minimum.

In some circumstances (such as wildlife photography from a safari vehicle) I'd use a battery grip which should in theory double the number of shots possible, but most of the time, when walking around, I don't want the extra bulk and weight.

If I put a camera into storage for more than a couple of weeks, I remove the batteries - my 5DMkiv has been in storage since I bought the R5...

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I use my R5 on an almost daily basis, and I always top up the charge the night before...
Does topping off affect the ability of the battery to hold a charge over time? I know it used to, but I'm curious if anyone knows if this is an issue today.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Does topping off affect the ability of the battery to hold a charge over time? I know it used to, but I'm curious if anyone knows if this is an issue today.
My experience is that it probably doesn't reduce the ability to hold charge. I've been topping up the charge as standard practice for several years now, with various Canon DSLRs. Some of my batteries are 3-4 years old and have been topped up hundreds of times, but still hold their charge quite well.

Of course, this information is fairly useless, as I haven't conducted a "control" test with batteries that are allowed to go flat before recharging. The only people in a position to provide a real answer to your question are the battery manufacturers - but they ain't gonna tell you how to make your batteries last longer, because they want you to buy more batteries!

Upvote 0