The love for AA size batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
My canon camera is S3 IS the good old school bridge that took 4 AA sized batteries under the hood. At first i hated it then i started loving it after the introduction of sanyo eneloop. Eneloop is amazing and delivered what it promised.
Now its time for a new camera for me. First i obviously looked for canon camera's with AA size batteries:
Then options came : 1) Canon sx160 is

But heart called for 1080p videos and a little more compact with cmos sensor (s3is performed poorly in low light) then came 2) Canon sx240HS

Then came into low battery issues (in the forums) just 200 pics and 30 mins of videos and expensive option at the time of replacement.

-ves of lithium ion (oem) :
1) Low number of shots compared to eneloop
2) Expensive when replacing
3) Same model with no new innovation (sanyo improves the line each year)
4) Availability of the battery in the market after a few years/ Or in a different country (AA will always be easily available)

Now my question is :
1) is there a powershot sx160 is successor planned for 2013-14 with AA size batteries?
2) Is Powershot 240HS much superior to sx160is
3) What is the future of AA size batteries in cameras?
4) Am i overly concerned about the issues of lithium -ion (is it not that much of an issue?)

Please help....!

I use to love AA's in my old kodak camera but the chargers and spare batteries were a pain to lug around.
I moved to a canon ixus a year later and I wouldn't even consider a camera that took AA batteries now.

Lithiums are quicker to charge
Smaller Charging unit
Batteries are lighter and easier to carry.
Spare Battery can be had for around 10-20 dollars on ebay (non OEM).

How many pics do you need to take before a recharge? I rarely take more than 200 photos in a day using a compact. If i do find their are a lot of photo opportunities then i would be using my SLR anyway.

I'm on my 4th Canon compact and all the lithium batteries have outlasted the camera so far.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
123blackjack said:
My canon camera is S3 IS the good old school bridge that took 4 AA sized batteries under the hood. At first i hated it then i started loving it after the introduction of sanyo eneloop. Eneloop is amazing and delivered what it promised.
Now its time for a new camera for me. First i obviously looked for canon camera's with AA size batteries:
Then options came : 1) Canon sx160 is

But heart called for 1080p videos and a little more compact with cmos sensor (s3is performed poorly in low light) then came 2) Canon sx240HS

Then came into low battery issues (in the forums) just 200 pics and 30 mins of videos and expensive option at the time of replacement.

-ves of lithium ion (oem) :
1) Low number of shots compared to eneloop
2) Expensive when replacing
3) Same model with no new innovation (sanyo improves the line each year)
4) Availability of the battery in the market after a few years/ Or in a different country (AA will always be easily available)

Now my question is :
1) is there a powershot sx160 is successor planned for 2013-14 with AA size batteries?
2) Is Powershot 240HS much superior to sx160is
3) What is the future of AA size batteries in cameras?
4) Am i overly concerned about the issues of lithium -ion (is it not that much of an issue?)

Please help....!

I have no fewer than 50 AA Eneloops. I wont buy any item that uses anything other than AA or AAA batteries because they are so wonderful. I have a flashlight fetish that was problematic. Then I bought a Fenix TK-41. The only exceptions to that rule are phones and cameras. Forget about a camera that uses "normal" batteries (phone too). They simply aren't practical. Which ever camera you buy, just go to Amazon and pick up compatible aftermarket batteries as backups/spares for way less $$ than OEM...

Upvote 0

Ew

Mar 21, 2012
+1 on AA for battery grip as backup power.

I used this little adapter to save myself a few times.

Yes it was more cumbersome but worked great. Also helped a great deal when filming all day (casting tests) - 4× batts for 5D2 & 7D - the recharge was not keeping up with the usage by the 2nd half of the day. Swapped to the AA for thw grip on the 7D - and we were able tto finish off th3 day without issues.

Upvote 0

Ryan708

Less bickering, more shooting
Mar 1, 2012
New Hampshire
I used AA rechargeable batteries in my old Kodak, and I swore by them, because they are cheap to use. Then I got my T1i and I could take a shit-ton of pictures, and in the cold it still performed, and held a charge forever. I liked this new lithium. My wife has had powershot digital ELPH cameras for a while now, and the LIon batteries last way longer than any AA's every immagined. LIon batteries have more power density than NiMh ever can. Th performance(voltage drop) is very consistant as well, and in cold environments do much better than AA's, and even come back up to voltage when warmed back up. My NiMh batteries do not, so I can not keep things in my vehicle here in New Hampshire for a good part of the year (last week had -11 degrees F). Just my opinion, I love AA's for anything that does not come with a LIon battery, but I prefer LIon

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I remember when the first consumer digital cameras were becoming popular around 1997. They used AA batteries, and you got maybe 30 - 40 images for a alkaline 4 battery set. You could get twice that with lithium batteries, but they were 10X the cost.
After a year or so, battery life in new models increased by a factor of two, and by 2000, it was no longer a issue. I much prefer AA batteries for point and shoot cameras, but for DSLR's, I get along ok with li-on. DSLR's just consume too much power to make AA's practical. I still have my Nikon CP-990, it uses AA's, which makes it practical to keep, since buying new li-on batteries every few years would be a issue, and eventually, they would no longer be made.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I remember when the first consumer digital cameras were becoming popular around 1997. They used AA batteries, and you got maybe 30 - 40 images for a alkaline 4 battery set. You could get twice that with lithium batteries, but they were 10X the cost.
After a year or so, battery life in new models increased by a factor of two, and by 2000, it was no longer a issue. I much prefer AA batteries for point and shoot cameras, but for DSLR's, I get along ok with li-on. DSLR's just consume too much power to make AA's practical. I still have my Nikon CP-990, it uses AA's, which makes it practical to keep, since buying new li-on batteries every few years would be a issue, and eventually, they would no longer be made.

Wipe the cobwebs off that wallet & pick up a digital camera made in this century!

Upvote 0
tolusina said:
edit/ A little more googling found 3000 to 3600 mah AAs, wow. I wonder if that's marketing hype or reality.

From the reviews I've read even the 2900mAh batteries should be seen with doubt, more so even higher announced charges - it's marketing, and it works, because 90% of the customers will buy incredibly good offers even if it contradicts common sense. And even if the batteries would have 3600mAh max. charge that probably wouldn't last for long.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2012
brad-man said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:

+1 :)

Wipe the cobwebs off that wallet & pick up a digital camera made in this century!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.