• Thread starter Deleted member 20471
  • Start date

NWPhil

one eye; one shot - multiple misses
Oct 4, 2011
funkboy said:
No 14-bit RAW or AdobeRGB; boo-hiss!
from Canon's website:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/pro_ps_digital_cameras/powershot_g1_x_mark_ii#Features
(...)Shooting and Recording Modes Including 14-bit RAW + JPEG
The PowerShot G1 X Mark II offers a host of shooting and recording modes ranging from fully automatic to fully manual, plus Full HD movies and full-resolution high speed continuous shooting. The camera recognizes 58 shooting situations, automatically optimizing settings for achieving the highest quality shots on the go. Alternatively, you can exert complete creative control over the look and feel of your images. 14-bit signal processing, just as in EOS-series cameras, gives images notably rich detail and smooth gradation, and RAW images are available in a choice of 3:2 or 4:3 aspect ratios. Compared with 12-bit processing, 14-bit offers a 4x increase in RAW data for a visible impact, giving images rich detail in both highlights and shadows as well as smoother, more natural tonal gradation for outstanding image quality.(...)

Upvote 0
Love that I can use my 600EX-RT's with this baby, only...

"Wireless operation of the Speedlite 600EX-RT is not supported."

:mad:

It would be tempting to think that maybe what Canon really means is that the on-board flash cannot be used as a master. But then one would have to wonder why the ST-E2 is listed as compatible and the ST-E3 is not listed at all. Apparently optical wireless is supported while RF wireless is not—even though the ST-E3 was available at retail before the G1X II was even on the drawing board.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
NWPhil said:
funkboy said:
from Canon's website:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/pro_ps_digital_cameras/powershot_g1_x_mark_ii#Features
The PowerShot G1 X Mark II offers a host of shooting and recording modes ranging from fully automatic to fully manual, plus Full HD movies and full-resolution high speed continuous shooting. The camera recognizes 58 shooting situations, automatically optimizing settings for achieving the highest quality shots on the go. Alternatively, you can exert complete creative control over the look and feel of your images. 14-bit signal processing, just as in EOS-series cameras, gives images notably rich detail and smooth gradation, and RAW images are available in a choice of 3:2 or 4:3 aspect ratios. Compared with 12-bit processing, 14-bit offers a 4x increase in RAW data for a visible impact, giving images rich detail in both highlights and shadows as well as smoother, more natural tonal gradation for outstanding image quality.(...)

Thanks for that, didn't find anything about 12 vs 14 bit raw after a quick skim thru the manual.
Hopefully it has good enough signal to noise ratio to warrant 14 bits, otherwise 12 can be adequate.

Upvote 0

NWPhil

Oct 4, 2011
Aglet said:
NWPhil said:
funkboy said:
from Canon's website:

Thanks for that, didn't find anything about 12 vs 14 bit raw after a quick skim thru the manual.
Hopefully it has good enough signal to noise ratio to warrant 14 bits, otherwise 12 can be adequate.

check this out:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/minami/sets/72157642734832515/

Upvote 0
t.linn said:

It would be tempting to think that maybe what Canon really means is that the on-board flash cannot be used as a master. But then one would have to wonder why the ST-E2 is listed as compatible and the ST-E3 is not listed at all. Apparently optical wireless is supported while RF wireless is not—even though the ST-E3 was available at retail before the G1X II was even on the drawing board.

I would think that they mean the G1XII can't serve as a radio master to the 600E-RT. And it also seems like the G1XII can't serve as an optical master on its own (even though it should), although it can with the 580, 600, and ST-E2. And I assume that it can work with an attached ST-E3 or 600EX-RT to use them as radio masters. But none of that is clear.

It reminds me about their little blurb in announcing the new MR-14 II where they said it could remotely control a 600. The implication being that it was an RT master, when the reality is that it is an optical master and can consequently remotely control lots of flashes in addition to the 600.

Either Canon wants to play silly little games about their flashes or they just can't write this stuff clearly.

Upvote 0

NWPhil

Oct 4, 2011
mrzero said:
t.linn said:

I would think that they mean the G1XII can't serve as a radio master to the 600E-RT. And it also seems like the G1XII can't serve as an optical master on its own (even though it should), although it can with the 580, 600, and ST-E2. And I assume that it can work with an attached ST-E3 or 600EX-RT to use them as radio masters. But none of that is clear.

It reminds me about their little blurb in announcing the new MR-14 II where they said it could remotely control a 600. The implication being that it was an RT master, when the reality is that it is an optical master and can consequently remotely control lots of flashes in addition to the 600.

Either Canon wants to play silly little games about their flashes or they just can't write this stuff clearly.

it might ongoing issue mentioned in another thread - bad translation

Upvote 0
NWPhil said:
it might ongoing issue mentioned in another thread - bad translation

This isn't Yongnuo we're talking about.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02/24/weak-yen-masks-hard-times-as-mirrorless-and-dslr-sales-decline

Last report was that the imaging division was going to do $14 billion in global sales, with $2 billion in profit, and gained market share in the US. I find it hard to believe that they can't find enough translators and proofreaders to fix this stuff. Lay people on the internet spot it within a few hours of the manual being posted. Not to mention the glaring omission of the ST-E3-RT. You can't tell me the manual got greenlit for publication before the ST-E3-RT was publicly announced.

I think the company's attitude is that they would rather put out misleading information rather than risk accidentally "leaking" anything that might be considered a roadmap to future plans or equipment compatibility.

Compare it to the recent interview talking about the EOS M. The guy in Japan said the M2 is coming to the US, then Canon USA said it isn't. And where is the 11-22 EF-M lens? They know we can purchase it via DigitalRev or elsewhere, but they won't "support" it in the US? Come on.

I don't know why I'm complaining. I don't have any budget to buy new gear anyway.

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
NWPhil said:
funkboy said:
from Canon's website:

Thanks for debunking that for me; I recall reading it in the specs but I can't remember where, & I couldn't find anything on it in the manual. I'll still miss the AdobeRGB (my Fuji X10 does it!) but the lower bit depth would have been more of a bummer.

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
funkboy said:
NWPhil said:
funkboy said:
from Canon's website:

Thanks for debunking that for me; I recall reading it in the specs but I can't remember where, & I couldn't find anything on it in the manual. I'll still miss the AdobeRGB (my Fuji X10 does it!) but the lower bit depth would have been more of a bummer.
If you shoot raw, the colour space in the files is limited purely by the sensor. Any pre-defined colour space standard is only applied as you convert the raw file to a format such as jpeg - so you can choose what you like at that point - sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto RGB etc... Cameras only offer an option of colour space for the jpegs it creates.

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
rs said:
If you shoot raw, the colour space in the files is limited purely by the sensor. Any pre-defined colour space standard is only applied as you convert the raw file to a format such as jpeg - so you can choose what you like at that point - sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto RGB etc... Cameras only offer an option of colour space for the jpegs it creates.

True enough, but if the camera doesn't operate in the color space you want then you can't tell if you've blown a channel out or not.

Anyway, 14-bit RAW puts it into the "good enough for me" category as-is; it should be a more than adequate replacement for the GF's aging 350D that she never uses because it's "too big & heavy".

Upvote 0