There is a Cinema EOS R camera in the pipeline, likely for early 2022 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There have been a few rumors since the launch of the EOS R that a Cinema EOS model would be coming to the mirrorless lineup. I haven’t heard anything about such a camera for more than a year. That has changed this week, as it looks like we will see an “EOS R5c” in early 2022. I’m just calling it the R5C to keep things easy.
I have been told that the camera will have a slightly different body design than the EOS R5, likely to combat heat and some ergonomic changes.
The only other information the source knew is that it will definitely have internal ND’s, Canon Log 2 and 3. The source wasn’t sure which image sensor was going to be featured in the camera, so I don’t know whether it’s a 4K or 8K camera.
More to come…

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe Canon will have two types of video camera on the RF mount. One has a FF sensor on a ML body, the other has a S35 sensor on a Cinema body, modified not overheat of course with appropriate audio/video sockets and features. So the line up goes something like . . . R4(or R5c)=C90, R3=C70, R2=C50. Both types of bodies are spec’d for video use.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Maybe Canon will have two types of video camera on the RF mount. One has a FF sensor on a ML body, the other has a S35 sensor on a Cinema body, modified not overheat of course with appropriate audio/video sockets and features. So the line up goes something like . . . R4(or R5c)=C90, R3=C70, R2=C50. Both types of bodies are spec’d for video use.
This question is purely from ignorance on the subject.

Why would anyone spending this type of money, want a smaller S35 sensor over a true FF sensor (or larger)?

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
If it's still an R, then maybe this isn't the C50 or C90, or not like FX3... in that it is a video oriented hybrid (not pure video). Sounds like a direct competitor to an A7SIII and to some extent, S1H. Or it's the spiritual successor to the 1DC?

If this has no time limit recording and effective thermal management, could be an exciting camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

Why would anyone spending this type of money, want a smaller S35 sensor over a true FF sensor (or larger)?
In the video world, the shallow depth of field of FF is sometimes seen as a major downside. And giving up one stop of light isn't all that meaningfull given the slower shutter speeds compared to stills work. Not to mention that even in FF world, people gladly sacrifice one stop of performance if they gain something else like a lower price or weight.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

I am still satisfied with my current EF-S glass. The current APS-C offers don't cover my needs for video. I wish Canon would come up with a R7 APS-C or S35 high end body (compact design). I will use my current glass with an adapter, while having a nice high end body with specs like the R6/R5. Right now I need to switch to FF just for some high end specs, while I don't need a FF sensor personally. The price of something like a R6 body is not the issue, the issue is I have to replace 3 lenses also which gets very expensive in FF land for a serious hobbyist.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019

Super35 has been the standard in Hollywood over 40 years and is based on traditional 35mm film that's been standard for over 100 years. Full frame sensors are still a very new concept for cinema. The Arri Alexa (by far the most used camera for big productions) only got a full frame model in 2018.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0