Third Party Lenses for the RF mount

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Here is a listing of all of the available third-party lenses for the RF mount. Canon has been coming down on third-party lenses with autofocus for patent violations, so most lenses out there are manual focus only. We assume that we will see third-party autofocus lenses for the RF mount in the future.
If we’re missing any RF mount lenses, please let us know.
7artisans | AstrHori | Brightin Star | Cheecar | Fujinon | Funleader | IRIX | KamLan | Kipon | Lensbaby | Meike | Meyer-Optik Görlitz | Mitakon Zhongyi | NiSi | Rokinon |...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I think we may end up needing a different term to describe RF mounts from third parties if they're not *true* RF (using high speed protocols, with control ring)

Because, as we all know, it's a lot easier just to use the mechanical mount of the RF system but send the 1987 vintage EF protocols to the camera - which Sigma and the other third parties finally understand after quite a long time of getting it almost but not quite right.

I'd call them EF-R lenses, for lenses using the RF mount with EF protocols..

Does it really matter?

I doubt that an 'EF-R' lens would focus as fast as a native RF lens could. They still could be very good lenses, maybe the difference won't be that much in real world use. But I would hesitate to call them true 'RF' lenses.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I think we may end up needing a different term to describe RF mounts from third parties if they're not *true* RF (using high speed protocols, with control ring)

Because, as we all know, it's a lot easier just to use the mechanical mount of the RF system but send the 1987 vintage EF protocols to the camera - which Sigma and the other third parties finally understand after quite a long time of getting it almost but not quite right.

Does it really matter?

I doubt that an 'EF-R' lens would focus as fast as a native RF lens could. They still could be very good lenses, maybe the difference won't be that much in real world use. But I would hesitate to call them true 'RF' lenses.

I don't think so, they are lenses with native RF mounts, I don't care too much about what optical design they use or if they use the EF or RF protocols. Canon's RF 50 f/1.8 is basically a 50-year-old optical design with a few tweaks and updated element types and the control ring. Whether or not they're manual focus or autofocus doesn't really change that. Making up a name like "EF-R" would confuse everyone.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
From https://alikgriffin.com/list-of-canon-rf-lenses/ I also found:

List of Yasuhara LensesElementsFilterCheck Price
Anthy 35mm f1.8 Review9/752mmAvailable

Plus he/they expect more LAOWA / Venus Optics coming soon:
9mm f5.614/10coming soon
11mm f4.514/10 Ø62mmcoming soon

Viltrox ?:
Lens NameElementsFilter SizeCheck Price
Viltrox 20mm f1.812/9

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Does it really matter?

I have the Sigma EF 70-200mm F2.8 DG OS HSM on my R6, and I don't know if it's physically possible to focus faster than that lens does.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I'm really interested in getting a third-party lense for astro shots as soon as movement restrictions allow me to go to dark sky places. Does anybody have any experience on the following lenses:

Laowa Venus 12mm F2.8 Zero-D
Laowa 15mm F2 FE Zero-D
Samyang RF 14mm F2.8

I'd really appreciate every feedback on either one of these lenses.

I use to own the Sigma EF 20 F1.4 but I wasn't entirely happy with it (not wide enough/ RF Lenses seem to be way sharper & less coma etc.) so I sold and I've searching ever since.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Does not paint a good picture for aftermarket RF lenses with AF, they will need constant updates.

But I am fine with using adapted EF or Canon RF lenses, they work just fine, I don't see the point of buying into the RF system to use aftermarket glass when the whole point is to have that wider mount diameter with lenses specifically designed for it.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Does not paint a good picture for aftermarket RF lenses with AF, they will need constant updates.

But I am fine with using adapted EF or Canon RF lenses, they work just fine, I don't see the point of buying into the RF system to use aftermarket glass when the whole point is to have that wider mount diameter with lenses specifically designed for it.

3rd parties design glass specifically for RF mount cameras, too.

I have had no issues with my EF Sigma 35/1.4 mounted on an EOS RP with the RF adapter.

I wonder if Alex Barrera's problems with the Samyang AF 85/1.4 have more to do with his R5 than they do the lens, and I have read previously that once the R5 updated to the latest firmware, problems with the Samyang were eliminated. I cannot confirm this with my own experience just yet.

EDIT: many commenters on the video are saying that with version 3 camera firmware, the lens works just fine. It may not be a lens firmware issue at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

maves

24mm TS-e ii is life!
Sep 21, 2017
Tasmania
I can highly reccomend the Kipon offerings. I have the 75/2.4 and its fantastic. A friend of mine has the 35/2.4 and has used it in nationally published commercial architectural photo shoots. I plan on picking up one of them soon too!

They are small and light, yet feel solid. Full metal construction. Styling is very Leica-esque. Image quality is great, and the rendering sharp, but with a nice sense of depth. The only trade off is full manual control and relatively slow max aperture.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
In his interview, didn't SIGMA CEO Kazuto Yamaki indicate that they are already operating at max capacity? That would suggest they can't introduce a new lens until they either expand capacity - which didn't sound like 'the plan' in the interview; or discontinue a less popular product to free up production capacity.

So it might be a little while. I'm looking forward to a SIGMA ART in RF.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
In his interview, didn't SIGMA CEO Kazuto Yamaki indicate that they are already operating at max capacity? That would suggest they can't introduce a new lens until they either expand capacity - which didn't sound like 'the plan' in the interview; or discontinue a less popular product to free up production capacity.

So it might be a little while. I'm looking forward to a SIGMA ART in RF.

It'll probably be the latter, there is always dead weight in a lineup.

Upvote 0