Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Recently I wrote this to Canon Canada:

"Hello,
I know that the answer to this question has to come from both Canon and Adobe but us, the EOS R5 users are now caught in the middle of it.
Why is the EOS R5 camera profile missing from Adobe Lightroom?

Do not worry, I will ask the same question, like many other users, on Adobe's support website but I also wanted Canon to be aware of this. "

This is what I got from them today:
"Unfortunately Canon doesn't support third party software. You may contact Adobe to confirm if they will be offering a software update to accommodate the EOS R5 camera profile.

Alternatively you may use the Canon Digital Photo Professional software to edit or convert your images."

As you might already know, Canon's DPP has zero DAM (Digital Assets Management) capabilities, the included tools are let's say, decent but extremely slow.

Please start bugging Canon (Canada, US and other countries) to start working with Adobe otherwise we'll never see the R5 camera profile in Lightroom.
I find their response indolent and stupid. Yes, it's third-party software but it would be used for Canon cameras.

Reactions: 1 user

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Recently I wrote this to Canon Canada:

"Hello,
I know that the answer to this question has to come from both Canon and Adobe but us, the EOS R5 users are now caught in the middle of it.
Why is the EOS R5 camera profile missing from Adobe Lightroom?

Do not worry, I will ask the same question, like many other users, on Adobe's support website but I also wanted Canon to be aware of this. "

This is what I got from them today:
"Unfortunately Canon doesn't support third party software. You may contact Adobe to confirm if they will be offering a software update to accommodate the EOS R5 camera profile.

Alternatively you may use the Canon Digital Photo Professional software to edit or convert your images."

As you might already know, Canon's DPP has zero DAM (Digital Assets Management) capabilities, the included tools are let's say, decent but extremely slow.

Please start bugging Canon (Canada, US and other countries) to start working with Adobe otherwise we'll never see the R5 camera profile in Lightroom.
I find their response indolent and stupid. Yes, it's third-party software but it would be used for Canon cameras.

What was Adobe's response to your request?

Does this link help?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

CR Pro
What was Adobe's response to your request?

Does this link help?

I knew about building your own camera profiles and actually I watched that video yesterday but we shouldn't have to do that, should we?
I don't think a user built profile is as good as a vendor one.
Of course, you can buy them for $15, but again, we spent a lot of money on the camera already, we should NOT have to do it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

CR Pro
The problem is that there isn't a DPP 5, which is what the OP was complaining about.
Well yes, I see that but complaining on the forums won't do us any good.
We have to bug Adobe and Canon directly, to get their heads out of their asses.

Upvote 0

Nelu

CR Pro
How do you know that it is more effective than complaints on forums? Your direct mail to them got the bums rush.
Yes, you're right, my direct email to them did nothing.
How about your email?
How about the other emails?
If you don't say anything to them it's all groovy.

At least if I open a ticket with CPS they'll have to waste some time on it, they can't just close it.
We need them to bring the matter up the food chain.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon is not going to support competing software makers. They would have to customize software or profiles for every one and for any updates they made that broke the custom profile. Adobe makes their own profiles and users sometimes upload them. You can make your own that exactly matches your camera.

Canon does offer SDK's but Adobe doesn't use those.

There are 17 profiles for a R5 photo in Lightroom, have you checked all of those for one you like? I'm not sure they are all that valuable but they do give different looks.

Upvote 0

Nelu

CR Pro
I think he is looking for camera matching.
That is correct, thank you.
This is what I mean. Just sort by camera vendor.
No camera profiles for a whole bunch of newer Canon cameras: RP, 1DX Mark III, R5, R6, 90D,etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
That is correct, thank you.
This is what I mean. Just sort by camera vendor.
No camera profiles for a whole bunch of newer Canon cameras: RP, 1DX Mark III, R5, R6, 90D,etc.
Maybe we only got the R because it matches the 5D4.

I wonder what percentage of LR CC customers use them? Might they be little known, therefore low priority?

I tried the R's Portrait profile for a window-light shot yesterday. Looks great! Thanks for reminding me about them!

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..] I don't think a user built profile is as good as a vendor one.
Of course, you can buy them for $15, but again, we spent a lot of money on the camera already, we should NOT have to do it.

The colorfidelity ones are user built and come very close to DPP4, so in this case "user built" beats "Adobe vendor" with a very large margin.

Upvote 0

Nelu

CR Pro
The colorfidelity ones are user built and come very close to DPP4, so in this case "user built" beats "Adobe vendor" with a very large margin.
I think your logic has a flaw.
There is no Adobe Lightroom Canon R5 camera profile so what are you comparing the Colorfidelity ones to? To the canned Adobe profiles?
Those are not camera-specific.

Upvote 0