This is probably the best camera review I’ve ever watched – Gerald Undone with the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
What claim does Canon make that is a blatant lie?
Apologies for jumping in, but this (and number of similarly juicy) bit is.. factually incorrect. not to be direct here :)

... Set to redefine mirrorless, today’s update confirms the incredible recording capabilities of the EOS R5 including internal 8K RAW up to 29.97fps and suitability with high-end production workflows....
please note: not single * in the text with reference to possible limitations in relation to the specs of the camera.
let’s see:

On the set of high-end productions such as commercials, dramas and documentaries, the EOS R5 is an ideal partner to the likes of Canon’s brand-new EOS C300 Mark III – a next generation modular Cinema EOS System camera launched today. In addition to the EOS R5’s outstanding still photography specifications, which make it ideal for behind the scenes capture, it’s an ideal support filming camera offering:

• 8K RAW – non-cropped, internal recording up to 29.97fps
  • Non-cropped, internal recording 8K video capture – up to 29.97fps in 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log (H.265) or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265)
  • Non-cropped internal recording 4K video capture – up to 119.88fps in 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log (H.265) or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265)
  • 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ output via HDMI at 4K 59.94fps
  • Dual Pixel AF is available in all video modes at all resolutions and frame rates
  • 5 axis optical IBIS/ enabling Lens IS and camera IBIS to be combined
  • Dual card slots – 1x CFexpress and 1x SD UHS-II

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
What claim does Canon make that is a blatant lie?
There you go:
“With its ability to record in cinema industry-standard formats and codecs, the EOS R5 is an ideal lead camera for many productions but also, given its compatibility with cinema workflows, the camera will shoot comfortably on high-end production sets.”

I only shoot stills and I don't care about video at all but I can understand why the video people are pissed off now.
Canon can't claim what they did claim and then start providing the actual limitations in the user manual.
The camera can or cannot be used for "high-end production sets". It's as simple as that.
With these overheating limitations, it cannot be used for that purpose; at least not "comfortably".

There! I can't believe I've said that...

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Apologies for jumping in, but this (and number of similarly juicy) bit is.. factually incorrect. it to be direct here :)

... Set to redefine mirrorless, today’s update confirms the incredible recording capabilities of the EOS R5 including internal 8K RAW up to 29.97fps and suitability with high-end production workflows....
please note: not single * in the text with reference to possible limitations in relation to the specs of the camera.
let’s see:

On the set of high-end productions such as commercials, dramas and documentaries, the EOS R5 is an ideal partner to the likes of Canon’s brand-new EOS C300 Mark III – a next generation modular Cinema EOS System camera launched today. In addition to the EOS R5’s outstanding still photography specifications, which make it ideal for behind the scenes capture, it’s an ideal support filming camera offering:

• 8K RAW – non-cropped, internal recording up to 29.97fps
  • Non-cropped, internal recording 8K video capture – up to 29.97fps in 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log (H.265) or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265)
  • Non-cropped internal recording 4K video capture – up to 119.88fps in 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log (H.265) or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265)
  • 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ output via HDMI at 4K 59.94fps
  • Dual Pixel AF is available in all video modes at all resolutions and frame rates
  • 5 axis optical IBIS/ enabling Lens IS and camera IBIS to be combined
  • Dual card slots – 1x CFexpress and 1x SD UHS-II

Key words:

"support filming camera" rather than "primary filming camera." i.e. It's good as a B-roll/special effects/close quarters camera which typically are only used for short clips.

"Ideal partner" rather than "replacement" for the likes of the C300 Mark III. See above.

"high-end production workflows" include B-roll/special effects/close quarters secondary cameras that are not expected to perform at the same level for extended time periods as the primary cameras are.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
There you go:
“With its ability to record in cinema industry-standard formats and codecs, the EOS R5 is an ideal lead camera for many productions but also, given its compatibility with cinema workflows, the camera will shoot comfortably on high-end production sets.”

I only shoot stills and I don't care about video at all but I can understand why the video people are pissed off now.
Canon can't claim what they did claim and then start providing the actual limitations in the user manual.
The camera can or cannot be used for "high-end production sets". It's as simple as that.
With these overheating limitations, it cannot be used for that purpose; at least not "comfortably".

There! I can't believe I've said that...

Key words:

"Many productions" rather than "all productions" or "every single production in the history of cinematography."

"high-end production workflows"
include B-roll/special effects/close quarters secondary cameras that are not expected to perform at the same level for extended time periods as the primary cameras are.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Key words:

"support filming camera" rather than "primary filming camera." i.e. It's good as a B-roll/special effects/close quarters camera which typically are only used for short clips.

"Ideal partner" rather than "replacement" for the likes of the C300 Mark III. See above.

"high-end production workflows" include B-roll/special effects/close quarters secondary cameras that are not expected to perform at the same level for extended time periods as the primary cameras are.
the Following is IMO only. Multiple * are required that at least point out that all Of the above is subject to certain limitations. And look at the specs in the text. Not a single * again. A disclaimer was in order.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
the Following is IMO only. Multiple * are required that at least point out that all Of the above is subject to certain limitations. And looks at the specs in the text. Not a single * again. A disclaimer was in order.

How many folks bought an R5 in April?

How many folks bought an R5 in May, June, or prior to July 9?

Zero.

Disclaimers were released at the same time the product was officially announced and before it was available for purchase. No one was able to actually buy an R5 before said disclaimers were released.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
First time I've seen that one.
Yes, I know, unfortunately they did say all those things...:(
I don't care about video but that is dishonest marketing.
Bingo but We had to wait until it got into people's hands and after news of overheating for them to reveal it all. So the camera is great and works but you need like 10 pages of disclaimers when it comes to all the video modes that werent included with the eos r. That wouldnt make many people feel comfortable.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
They must be aware but if this is a deliberate strategy to dumb down the video side, I would like to think after the horrendous publicity this has generated, they will be on the side of purchasers and make some correction to retain goodwill and future launches but correcting it will be a complicated decision for the various departments, the camera department will want it sorted asap but the cinema line will want it to stay as is to protect their market. Not a battle I would like to be in the middle of.

Why does it have to be a 'deliberate strategy to dumb down the video side' rather than protecting the internal components from excessive heat? Honestly, not everything is a malign conspiracy! We know Canon is a conservative company.

Been there and seen that. So frustrating though, especially when these cameras, as good as they are already, could blow away the competition if it was a simple firmware update.

We don't know it's that simple.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Why does it have to be a 'deliberate strategy to dumb down the video side' rather than protecting the internal components from excessive heat? Honestly, not everything is a malign conspiracy! We know Canon is a conservative company.

Oh please, using reasonable and logical thoughts on CR?

• Haha
Upvote 0
This has nothing to do with cameras. It's for everything. News stories. Recipes. Quarterly earnings reports. Ad nauseum.

Believe it or not, there are delivery methods superior to "talking head videos" for many types of information. At least there is if your target audience is able to read critically.
If I could give more than one 'thumbs up' to this sentiment, I would!

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
This has nothing to do with cameras. It's for everything. News stories. Recipes. Quarterly earnings reports. Ad nauseum.

Believe it or not, there are delivery methods superior to "talking head videos" for many types of information. At least there is if your target audience is able to read critically.

I'd argue, in fact, that a video, properly done can be the best way to talk about a camera, especially if you're talking about the video features, but even in stills, imagine showing what's going on in the viewfinder as one adjusts a setting (assuming, of course, it's an EVF!).

But you might remember I nevertheless seconded the original gripe about people doing videos. Because so many are done that way, inappropriately, apparently out of laziness.

Not inconsistent.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
the Following is IMO only. Multiple * are required that at least point out that all Of the above is subject to certain limitations. And look at the specs in the text. Not a single * again. A disclaimer was in order.

So canon has to put in asterisks everywhere leading to a footnote that says, "* Remember we said support camera, you doorknob."?

Upvote 0

betokella

EOS 7D MKI
Feb 8, 2020
well... i skipped like 18 minutes till he actually started talking about photography, which is all this camera is about (even if people keep forgetting it).

www.nicolaszonvi.com

Exactly. If that ratio holds, one would be paying too much for functions very seldom used... It feels photography was an after thought...

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020

Well, hey, I’m no expert on design or thermodynamics so maybe your right & it’s a genuine effort to protect the internals and the camera is actually at the maximum limits of the technology.

There are a few anomalies though that don’t add up.

Why can older and cameras manage to take thousands of stills without overheating, 1DXmkiii for example?

Why does the overheating warning appear & the camera stop recording when the card and battery are relatively cool?

Why does the camera stop recording in a higher resolution due to overheating but then immediately allow you to continue recording in a lower resolution like 4K 25 for an unlimited time. If it’s overheating then recording at a lower resolution or any kind of use is still going to generate heat so is it really overheating??

These are all things reported by different people, some may have an agenda, some may not so odds are some are telling the truth?

In reality none of these issues particularly bother me as I won’t shoot that many stills in one shoot and won’t use 4k30HQ, 4k60, 4k120 or 8k. I also have no idea if there is a solution or not.

It does make you wonder though? The truth is out there?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Well, hey, I’m no expert on design or thermodynamics so maybe your right & it’s a genuine effort to protect the internals and the camera is actually at the maximum limits of the technology.

There are a few anomalies though that don’t add up.

Why can older and cameras manage to take thousands of stills without overheating, 1DXmkiii for example?

Why does the overheating warning appear & the camera stop recording when the card and battery are relatively cool?

Why does the camera stop recording in a higher resolution due to overheating but then immediately allow you to continue recording in a lower resolution like 4K 25 for an unlimited time. If it’s overheating then recording at a lower resolution or any kind of use is still going to generate heat so is it really overheating??

These are all things reported by different people, some may have an agenda, some may not so odds are some are telling the truth?

In reality none of these issues particularly bother me as I won’t shoot that many stills in one shoot and won’t use 4k30HQ, 4k60, 4k120 or 8k. I also have no idea if there is a solution or not.

It does make you wonder though? The truth is out there?

I'm going to speculate, but I am speculating based on my knowledge of physics.

Everything the camera does generates heat. But how fast does it generate heat? If the camera can shed heat faster than it generates it, then it's fine. So yes, the camera has to shut off a high-heat-generating-mode but will still allow you to use modes which generate less heat, if it's enough less that the camera can shed it at least as fast as it's generated.

But the speed at which something sheds heat is not a constant. The hotter it gets, the faster it sheds heat. This is why lighting a fire in the fireplace warms the room up, but not to the temperature of the fire. The room warms up to the point where it's losing heat energy as fast as the burning fuel generates it, and no further. This is thermal equilibrium.

So a mode like (for example) 1080p will generate a certain amount of heat. At room temperature, the camera does NOT shed heat at that rate, but at higher temperatures, it DOES shed heat at that rate. So the camera will climb to a certain temperature, and get no warmer, provided it continues doing the same thing--it has reached thermal equilibrium. Some modes bring it to just below the overheat threshold. The camera will stay there all day, until you switch to another mode that generates more heat--i.e., has a higher equilibrium temperature--the camera, knowing the temperature will now rise into the danger zone, says "nope" and shuts off.

A camera that has shut off is free to go into modes that generate less heat per second, than it sheds per second at the temperature it's at. The temperature will drop, a bit, to the new equilibrium, but trying to switch to a higher-heat mode would force the camera to shut off to save itself, because it's already pretty warm.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
LOL! You guys crack me up. Making fun of people's reviews because you don't like what they say about the cameras.
Then call them lazy yet you have no videos or articles yourselves. You want everything that only you want, and you want it all for free and you want it now.
I have not even watched any R5/R6 review, so I don't know what they say about the cameras. Simply because I don't enjoy watching review videos.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
So canon has to put in asterisks everywhere leading to a footnote that says, "* Remember we said support camera, you doorknob."?
Nuh, that would be overkill. Just a single asterisk at the tech specs header would suffice. It’s a common practice. In my opinion, Canon went a bit Gung Ho with this press release in particular.

Upvote 0