This is the Canon RF lens roadmap

blackcoffee17

EOS RP
Sep 17, 2014
How can they make a high quality 600mm + lens cheap ?
No company ever has before !
High quality = expensive
Cheap = compromise

Take the Sony 200-600 for example. 600mm at under $2000. And great optical quality, fast AF, metal build, weathersealing and internal zoom. No, not asking for 600mm F4 for $1000.

Reactions: rbr and jd7

dolina

millennial
Dec 27, 2011
www.facebook.com
Even using their D.O. freznel elements those weights aren't likely ( the EF400 f/4 DO ii which is about as good as it gets is 2kg so can't see a 400mm f/2.8L being under 2.5kg even with DO ), maybe if the lens bodies are made from magnesium instead of aluminium (I presume the lens barrels are made of aluminium) it might be doable ?
Instead of my Nov 2020 posting I wish I spent my time buying more stocks that would have yielded a 500% return by now

Last edited:

Normalnorm

EOS RP
Dec 25, 2012
I have mixed feelings about the 10-24. I currently use the EF 11-24 with an adapter.
It is wicked sharp and the AF is fast. I tis a huge money maker for me shooting interiors with that and my 17 TS-E. Both are unlikely to be supplanted any time soon and thus I may be out of the game before they come to market.
I guess I was fortunate to be shooting in the golden age of the TS-E and the 11-24 as I know if I had retired before they came out I would be just envious of those who got to use them.

I really appreciate the cameras and lenses we have today as I started out in the 70's with film and every format from 35mm half frame (Olympus PEN the original) to 8x10 view cameras. All had their charms but the image Is get today are many orders of magnitude better than what could be achieved then.
Yes, film is fun but the real benefit of digital is the commercial results I get in less time and higher quality.

Khatgs

I'm New Here
Oct 29, 2019
Is there a chance to see another RF telephoto zoom L lens ? The aperture 7.1 from the 100-500 isn't very exciting.

Reactions: FrenchFry

Dragon

EF 800L
May 29, 2019
Only during a sunny day, i couldn’t use this lens for deer photography in the early morning for example. I have a 400 2.8 is ii right now but i want something lighter for travel but with a better aperture than 7.1..
That lens is f.5.6 to 360mm. If you want a zoom that goes through 400 at f/4, it is going to be a LOT heavier. If Canon makes the rumored 400mm f/3.6 mirror lens that has been rumored, it might be perfect if you are OK with doughnuts (personally, I like mirror lenses and am looking forward AF and IS included).

neurorx

EOS 90D
May 12, 2015
Take the Sony 200-600 for example. 600mm at under $2000. And great optical quality, fast AF, metal build, weathersealing and internal zoom. No, not asking for 600mm F4 for $1000.
I would really love a Canon version of the Sony 200-600. That would be an awesome lens.

Oct 31, 2020
Since this list - so far very accurate list! - is for 2020/ 2021 and a few months due to delays, I'm wondering whether there are new rumors about lenses coming in 2022 (which isn't really far away). I really hope Canon will complete the F2 trinity. I'd be excited to see a 16-28mm F2 or 70-135mm F2 or something similar.

Czardoom

EOS RP
Jan 27, 2020
Only during a sunny day, i couldn’t use this lens for deer photography in the early morning for example. I have a 400 2.8 is ii right now but i want something lighter for travel but with a better aperture than 7.1..
It does not have to be sunny to use a lens at f/7.1. It can be morning. It can be evening. It can be cloudy. Unless your deer are running fast and you need a really high shutter speed, you will have no problems.

Reactions: pj1974 and usern4cr

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
> Only during a sunny day, i couldn’t use this lens for deer photography in the early morning for example.

I'd like to know more.

What time do you mean by "early?"

What ISO is it that you couldn't use?

What shutter speed is simply too slow to capture dawn deer?

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
What about those CAT lenses that were patented not long ago?
I don't remember the patent specifically but most patents cover a lens formula, or general recipe, not a specific lens. If I had one beef with this forum it'd be the number of times it seems to claim the lenses given as examples are actually the things being patented.

The formulas say things like: a way to lower chromatic aberration in wide-angle large-aperture lenses whereby the lens is comprised of six groups, focus is achieved by moving groups three and four, group five gives image stabilization; group one and two are composed of cemented doublets that are concave, blah blah blah blah. Then they give an example implementation of this formula to make a 35mm f/1.4 and the site manager posts that Canon has patented a 35/1.4 while in fact the patent is just as likely to be used for a 24/1.4, and they might roll out a 35/1.4 using a different formula...

Reactions: EricN

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
I use the RF 100-500 lens in less than optimal conditions quite frequently. The attached image is a cropped version of an image, shot in available light, hand-held, inside a very dimly-lit reptile house at the local zoo. It is of the Auckland Green Gekko, endemic to Auckland, NZ and which is about 120mm (5inches) from nose to tail.

There is a VERY shallow DoF: Settings EOS R6, RF 100-500 @ 500mm, f/8, 1/500 sec, ISO-3200.
This is not a great example to use in a discussion of maximum apertures, as the subject is captive and may be very, very still for a long time. A tripod would work perfectly, who needs f/4 for such shot? In fact, even without a tripod, doesn't IS/IBIS alone let you shoot 1/15 sec, ISO 100, f/8 and likely get a sharp image hand-held? ***

*** one thing I'd like is a mode that keeps taking pictures until it gets a super sharp one...

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
*** one thing I'd like is a mode that keeps taking pictures until it gets a super sharp one...
I'd like a mode where the camera (or in-post software) could give you some numerical measure of sharpness in the image, so that you could take many shots of the same thing and be able to easily choose only the sharpest one and discard the rest. I doubt we'll see it in-camera, but I'd really like to see it in post (like FastRawViewer or PhotoLab) as it would save me a TON of time there!