This RF-S 22mm f/2 photo looks real to me

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Canon-RF-S-22mm-f2-STM-APS-C-lens-768x548.jpg

I just came across this on a different site. My EF-M 22mm is one of my favorite and most used lenses. This photo looks legit to me (although it might just be a mock up), but I still don't think I would get it. Even with the introduction of the R mount APS-C, I will probably be keeping my M50 unless they come out with an actual compact R body to replace the M bodies. While I seem to be one of the few who believed APS-C R was imminent AND that APS-C M still potentially had a place in the lineup, the replacement of EF-M lenses with RF-S equivalents has me wondering if they will actually be fully phasing out M afterall.

But as it stands, the R7 (or even R10) is not compact enough for me to want to get rid of my M50 just yet. They are different cameras that serve different purposes. But I am excited at the prospect of more pancake, walk-around lenses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
May 4, 2011
No...it has to be a mock-up.

If you look at the RF-S 18-45mm, it just says "18-45" on the barrel. Not "18-45mm". Actually, on all RF lenses Canon just prints the number on the barrel, omitting the "mm". This one says "22mm".

Of course, even if it only had "22" on there, that's not proof in and of itself...but that should more or less prove this particular rendition as a concept.

In regard to the EF-M situation, the 22mm mounted on an M200/100 is about as "P&S" as you can get without actually being P&S. Can't pull that off with an R10 so it's not for me.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
No...it has to be a mock-up.

If you look at the RF-S 18-45mm, it just says "18-45" on the barrel. Not "18-45mm". Actually, on all RF lenses Canon just prints the number on the barrel, omitting the "mm". This one says "22mm".

Of course, even if it only had "22" on there, that's not proof in and of itself...but that should more or less prove this particular rendition as a concept.

In regard to the EF-M situation, the 22mm mounted on an M200/100 is about as "P&S" as you can get without actually being P&S. Can't pull that off with an R10 so it's not for me.
Thanks for pointing those details out. I thought the left edge of the '2' and the top edges of the 'm' looked a bit faded. Makes sense if it was photoshopped on. Otherwise, it's a pretty good mock up.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
IMHO I think Canon is going to re-house the M lenses to work with the RF mount.
Their rf-s lenses just look like M lenses with an RF mount.
Easiest way to get a range of the crop sensor lenses out there.
Yeah, that seems to be what they're going for... at least to start. I'm not an EF-S or RF-S user, but I am kinda interested in small, pancake lenses. I hope they would still make compact lenses for standard RF and not only crop versions.

Upvote 0