Three New Tilt-Shift Lenses on the Way [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We <a href="[url=http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-ef-85mm-f1-4l-is-three-more-lenses-coming-at-the-end-of-august-cr2/]http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-ef-85mm-f1-4l-is-three-more-lenses-coming-at-the-end-of-august-cr2/[/url]">reported in mid July</a> that Canon would be announcing a series of three lenses, though we weren’t sure what “series” meant. Now we’re told that the three new lenses would be tilt-shift lenses and will be announced at the end of August 2017.</p>
<p>While we’re now very confident that three new tilt-shift lenses are coming, we’re a little less confident about their announcement time. As it sits today, we think they’re coming at the end of August alongside the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS and the EOS M10 replacement (EOS M20?).</p>

<p>We’re not sure of the focal length of these three new tilt-shift lenses, but as soon as we find out, we’ll let you know. The TS-E 45mm f/2.8 and TS-E 90mm f/2.8 were both announced in April 1991, so they are obvious candidates for replacement (though not confirmed as of yet). What will the third one be? I’d love to see a tilt-shift macro, but I have no reason to believe at this time that one is coming.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
neuroanatomist said:
Is this the 'series of three lenses' that will be made in Malaysia? :eek:

This is why I'm not 100% sure of the announcement date, though I'm 100% sure that they're coming in 2017. I am having a good time trying to extract information on these three lenses.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Antono Refa said:
IIRC, it was reported the lenses were to be made in Malaysia and non-L.

The two new TS-E lenses are L, I would be surprised if any new TS-E wouldn't be.
I just recognized that accidentally I deleted the more important part in my first post:

New non-L-T&S lenses made in Malaysia, that sounds strange.

Upvote 0
It would be amazing if they created more lenses for the smaller super35 sensors of their cinema line. I am an architectural filmmaker and the 17mm TS-E is sometimes not wide enough. It was amazing in the days of the 5D mk iii. I find myself hanging onto that camera and using ML raw just to use the 17mm for a few shots. An 11mm TS-E for APSC and super 35mm would be perfect.

The smaller sensor size didn't used to warrant L lenses and high quality super wides (you bought a full frame if you wanted that and were willing to spend that much on lenses) but now that there are very expensive cameras with the super35 sensor and nothing larger, better wides and larger apertures would be great. May have to wait for Sigma here.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
mahdi_mak2000 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Is this the 'series of three lenses' that will be made in Malaysia? :eek:

No way

it must be Taiwan if not Japan

there is no chance in hell they are in taiwan.

check out dpreview's tour of the lens factory in japan. that stuff only happens in japan for good reason.

CR did mention that there was the possibility of 3 non-L lenses, and three high end lenses. for a total of 7 lenses in total.

IMO, these three are coming later. unless it's TS-E's for the M's which would be very strange :p

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
tianxiaozhang said:
What's so wrong about introducing a reliable 50mm? The 1.8STM is not bad but still not quite there for pro use.

Apparently we need to freshen up the tilt-shift line more than photographers need an all-purpose 50 prime.

[starts looking up Tamron 45 f/1.8 VC specs, reviews and prices... :'(]

- A

Attachments

• AvTvM.jpg
    AvTvM.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 2,843
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Want a nutty theory? Perhaps Canon is expanding it's specialty lenses to the beginner side of the spectrum.

Could Canon be jumping into the enthusiast Petzval/LensBaby sort of MF lens market with tilt-shift? Perhaps these are T/S lenses for EF-S/EF-M?

Just riffing, hear me out: the hip kids with SLRs love effects / filters on lenses. So they love the tilt-shift miniature effect but next to none of them have the technical acumen to use demanding lenses like this. I'm not saying millenials (as a group) lack talent so much as T/S lenses are not point and shoot tools for SLR rookies who want to jazz up their IG feed, i.e. T/S lenses are not easily handholdable for casual shooting by casual shooters.

But what if Canon changed that? Could they...
[put on your rose-colored glasses here 8)]

• Have developed working AF on a T/S lens?

• Have developed tilt-shift MF Assist tools expressly for EF-M / LiveView that could be firmwared into bodies? Perhaps a 'line/band of tilt-shift focus' that you could see on an EVF or LCD in LiveView?

Just a nutty idea, but it might explain the non-Japanese build. Perhaps these little lifestyle lenses (the two illuminated crop macros) are doing gangbusters business and Canon sees an opportunity with the larger beginner market than with pros here.

- A

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2014
ahsanford said:
Want a nutty theory? Perhaps Canon is expanding it's specialty lenses to the beginner side of the spectrum.

Could Canon be jumping into the enthusiast Petzval/LensBaby sort of MF lens market with tilt-shift? Perhaps these are T/S lenses for EF-S/EF-M?

come ooon...we don't have more than a handful of primes for ef-s & ef-m together and you think canon will bring not 1 but 3!!! TS lenses for these mounts???

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
andrei1989 said:
ahsanford said:

come ooon...we don't have more than a handful of primes for ef-s & ef-m together and you think canon will bring not 1 but 3!!! TS lenses for these mounts???

I said it was nutty theory.

The only other logical explanation of non-Japanese made lenses are (broadly):

• They are not high-end or even middle-end: they are cheaper lenses like the pancakes or the 50 f/1.8 STM.

• They are not EF.

But I could be wrong, sure. It could just be a non-L T/S refresh (or new FLs in that line).

- A

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
hne said:
TS-EF 85/1.4L IS STM. There, I fixed it!

But seriously, apart from the two age-old TS-E lenses, what other focal length is needed? There is already 17, 24, 45, 90. Longer lenses gain less from shift and wider than the existing TS-E 17/4L seems exotic. 180 macro with tilt?

Remember, we're also expecting a 600/4 DO lens. So It's going to be TS as well. 600/4 DO TS Macro with a high-power LED ring on the hood :)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I've owned Canon 50mm EF lenses from 4 countries, Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, and The Philippines. So I did a check to see where Canon currently makes lenses. We know that the "L" lenses are made in Japan, and many EF-s lenses are made in Taiwan. It turns out that Malaysia is making EF lenses, along with lens components.

http://www.canon-asia.com/personal/web/company/about?languageCode=EN

I do not see "M" lenses listed, and I do not have any, so I do not know where they are currently made.

I suppose its feasible that a EF Tilt-S____ ;) lens could be made in Malaysia, a non L would be a first.

Upvote 0