Time to replace "Mirrorless"?! (camera description term / wording)

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Hi All

Over recent months I have been thinking that another word (or phrase) should be used, to replace 'Mirrorless'.
I love my DSLR cameras (and have several) - so no need to turn this thread into a debate about DSLR vs Mirrorless... there have been plenty of them on Canon Rumors! ;D

The main reasons why I believe we (and the photographic industry and including all photographers and hobbiests) should consider 'loosing' the mirrorless term include (but are not limited to) :
  • Mirrorless is a potentially negatively phrased ("oh no, it is missing a mirror"!) a positive descriptor is more powerful
  • Over time, the 'mirror' of DSLR (and SLR) cameras will be forgotten / redundant [Compare to 'horseless carriage' used to describe early vehicles
  • Confusion between earlier, and current smaller digital cameras (e.g. digital P&S), which were always "mirrorless"

So, the main word/s I suggest we use to replace the word "mirrorless" include:
  • Live Sensor
  • Sensor-driven
  • On-sensor

I also think we use a more appropriate word to 'interchangeable' (why have a 5 syllable word, when a shorter one might do ???) The best / main word/s I have to replace "interchangeable" include:
  • Changeable
  • Non-fixed

I have been creating LOTS of potential replacements for the currently accepted "Mirrorless interchangeable lens camera" (MILC). That combination of letters as an abbreviation is problematic in itself... (we won't go there!) So I have considered what the abbreviation letters also look and sound like, pronounced.
Out of the many combinations I have compiled, the best ones include:

• Changeable Lens On-sensor Camera (CLOC)
  • On-sensor Changeable Lens Camera (OCLC)
  • Changeable Lens Live Sensor Camera (CLLSC)
  • Live Sensor Changeable Lens Camera (LSCLC)
  • Sensor Driven Changeable Lens Camera (SDCLC)

I look forward to your votes, comments, opinions and discussion.
And just, to point out the obvious "YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST" (and I will collect royalties from each use of the agreed term, from now into the future.. I'm gonna be RICH!) 8)

PJ1974

Oct 26, 2013
How about we just call them all cameras?

When I bought my first digital camera, it was a Kodak and I didn't care one iota whether it had a mirror or not.
When I bought my first DSLR it was the Canon EOS Rebel and I didn't care one iota whether it had a mirror or not.
When I bought my next camera it was the Canon 6D and I didn't care one iota whether it had a mirror or not.
Not long after, when I realized I need a crop camera, too, I bought an Olympus E-M1 and I didn't care one iota whether it had a mirror or not.
When I sold my 6D and was looking for something smaller, I bought an M5 and I didn't care one iota whether it had a mirror or not.
Not sure what my next camera will be, but I know that it will be a camera (and not a smartphone) and I won't care one iota whether it has a mirror or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
dak723 said:
I didn't care one iota whether it had a mirror or not.

Photographing vampires would be the main application where it would matter. With a DSLR, you can't see them in the OVF, so you need to use (ironically) live view. A mirrorless camera might not have the problem, but it also doesn't let you know whether the person you are photographing is a vampire. So each kind of camera has its own advantage.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2010
stevelee said:
Photographing vampires would be the main application where it would matter.
I went to a vampire shoot a few months ago. I took a mirrorless camera for the reason you mentioned - I was worried I couldn't focus using a mirror. And it worked well. The camera focused perfectly on the subjects and most of the photos came out fine.

Back to the original question, I prefer "camera", too. This is only really an issue for online retailers and how they categorize their stock, anyway. Even on forums like this, general topics such as "DSLR vs Mirrorless" are often meaningless. But when things start getting specific, such 5D vs a7R, we can discuss real world differences and we're all knowledgeable enough to know what a Sony a7Riii is - there's no need to add mirrorless to the description.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Hello Everyone

Original Poster (OP) here... I genuinely appreciate the input and replies... the serious takes on the question, the humour (life is lived well when frequented by lots of laughs!), the creative input and the intelligence on display. 8)

I do agree that there is a broader definition (and categorisation) where 'camera' is good enough. However, as many of us here on CR Forums, also appreciate the "taxonomy" of light / photon gathering devices, and therefore it is useful to have a further distinction between types of cameras (e.g. fixed lens, 'interchangeable lens', mirror, vs those without a mirror, etc).

We do not represent the majority of people who take photos / with a camera (the majority of people taking photos are smart-phone owners anyway)! :D At present it indeed appears that 'mirrorless' will stay around for a while - though I expect sometime in the future, the term will become less meaningful, and will possibly be changed... This thread is a decent testimony to 'we never know what the future holds'!

In any case, I look forward to photography's future ... of both 'mirrored' (DSLR) and 'mirrorless' (MILC and other 'non-interchangeable lens cameras).
I use several different models of Canon DSLRs (the older ones used for certain projects, e.g. timelapse, cycling, camping & bush-walking outings, etc) My main current DSLR is the 80D, and the camera I use for most of my photography at this time.
My main 'mirrorless' camera is the M5 (I also have a M10, which I use when requiring a super compact kit). My mobile / smart-phone gets occasional use as a camera, but not for the 'serious' stuff! The M5 is versatile, and once I configured it to my liking, makes an awesome travel option. Having already secured a bunch of good lenses really makes it a versatile, convenient, very transportable kit. (My 'mirrorless' lenses include: the Canon 22mm f/2, Samyang 12mm f/2, Canon 18-150mm & Canon 15-45mm).

Very much anticipating Canon bringing us exciting offerings in mirrorless in the near future. I love my M5, and the M50 indicated to me the EOM future is looking positive... and bright!

Best wishes

PJ ;)

Upvote 0