Timeframe for next batch of R5s?

skp

5DIV, 7DII, 60D
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2014
I've seen a few reports on the forum here of people getting anticipated customer order ship dates from Amazon for Aug 13th. I wonder though if that is just based on an assumption of a regular two-week cycle of shipments from Canon or if they actually have hard commitments from Canon that a second batch is coming. I'm a little skeptical of the reports that have been floating around that nobody will see ANY shipments until November, but I'll bet that Mt Spokane Photography is right that November might be when they anticipate filling all preorders.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Guessing about their factory logistics, pretty sure the factory is running 24/7, for some time now. The first day shipments maybe cleared already all the stock they had built, so going forward they would trickle in at the same pace as the factory makes them. Could be take make them in regional batches, so for example for period of time they only make EU units, then AU, then JP, then Usa, etc. (or could be it's all concurrent). Regardless, I'd be very surprised if there's not shipment to main markets (EU, US, AU, JP) at least every 2 weeks.

It's possible that pre-orders have already allocated all shipments for next couple months. Also possible that they air-freighted max number of units for the release date, and then shipping by sea for coming orders, meaning there's about 1 month gap without actual deliveries.

Upvote 0

skp

5DIV, 7DII, 60D
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2014
Your point about shipping actually makes a lot of sense. I suppose its possible that the batch of shipments that was supposed to make up their first round to dealers was running too late to get on cargo ships, so they might have pulled some aside for air freight to make an initial delivery on their target release date. Maybe we can be optimistic and hope that there are literal boatloads of R5 shipments coming soon.

Upvote 0
Guessing about their factory logistics, pretty sure the factory is running 24/7, for some time now. The first day shipments maybe cleared already all the stock they had built, so going forward they would trickle in at the same pace as the factory makes them. Could be take make them in regional batches, so for example for period of time they only make EU units, then AU, then JP, then Usa, etc. (or could be it's all concurrent). Regardless, I'd be very surprised if there's not shipment to main markets (EU, US, AU, JP) at least every 2 weeks.

It's possible that pre-orders have already allocated all shipments for next couple months. Also possible that they air-freighted max number of units for the release date, and then shipping by sea for coming orders, meaning there's about 1 month gap without actual deliveries.
In ordinary times, I'd guess that's probably spot on.

Problem is, there are just so many issues with C-19. Global shipping is in disarray as ships and containers are in the 'wrong' places, component parts may not be all where they should be, even factory operating may be compromised by workplace distancing issues.

All-in-all, the production-to-delivery process could be seriously dysfunctional presently, meaning the early production batches have been squeezed through (maybe in more limited numbers than expected) to hit the due date, but that the subsequent waves (of deliveries) are much more out of kilter.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Problem is, there are just so many issues with C-19. Global shipping is in disarray as ships and containers are in the 'wrong' places, component parts may not be all where they should be, even factory operating may be compromised by workplace distancing issues.

All-in-all, the production-to-delivery process could be seriously dysfunctional presently, meaning the early production batches have been squeezed through (maybe in more limited numbers than expected) to hit the due date, but that the subsequent waves (of deliveries) are much more out of kilter.

Japan is encouraging companies to move factories out of China. This could be causing parts shortages.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Japan is encouraging companies to move factories out of China. This could be causing parts shortages.
Yes. Mid-to-Linger term, I think C-19, and concerns about further pandemics in future, will mean that the whole off-shore, just-in-time production process comes under much greater scrutiny, and de-risking one's supply chain becomes as important as following the tail of cheaper production around the globe.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Interesting that Canon USA had a few in stock just a half hour ago. They were gone when I managed to get to them 6 minutes after CR guy posted they were in stock.

Items like that could be that someone canceled their preorder, so those units were fed back to the inventory to look like there's units, until it got automatically sorted for next pre-order in line.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I've seen a few reports on the forum here of people getting anticipated customer order ship dates from Amazon for Aug 13th. I wonder though if that is just based on an assumption of a regular two-week cycle of shipments from Canon or if they actually have hard commitments from Canon that a second batch is coming. I'm a little skeptical of the reports that have been floating around that nobody will see ANY shipments until November, but I'll bet that Mt Spokane Photography is right that November might be when they anticipate filling all preorders.

Your point about shipping actually makes a lot of sense. I suppose its possible that the batch of shipments that was supposed to make up their first round to dealers was running too late to get on cargo ships, so they might have pulled some aside for air freight to make an initial delivery on their target release date. Maybe we can be optimistic and hope that there are literal boatloads of R5 shipments coming soon.

Things (cameras, lenses, batteries, etc.) do not ship from the Canon factories in retail packaging. The cameras ship from the camera factory. The lenses ship from the lens factory. The batteries ship from the battery factory. Everything ships from where it is made directly to Canon's regional centers (Canon USA, Canon Europe, Canon Hong Kong, etc.) and is put together in retail packaging there. Retail boxes, packing materials, printed materials, etc. are generally sourced much closer to each regional center than the hardware is.

If amazon is projecting a ship date of August 13 based on actual expected shipments from Canon USA, then those bodies are either currently at Canon USA being packed into retail packaging or have already cleared U.S. Customs at whatever port of entry they came into and are already in transit to a Canon USA facility somewhere in the U.S.

Upvote 0
Things (cameras, lenses, batteries, etc.) do not ship from the Canon factories in retail packaging. The cameras ship from the camera factory. The lenses ship from the lens factory. The batteries ship from the battery factory. Everything ships from where it is made directly to Canon's regional centers (Canon USA, Canon Europe, Canon Hong Kong, etc.) and is put together in retail packaging there. Retail boxes, packing materials, printed materials, etc. are generally sourced much closer to each regional center than the hardware is.

If amazon is projecting a ship date of August 13 based on actual expected shipments from Canon USA, then those bodies are either currently at Canon USA being packed into retail packaging or have already cleared U.S. Customs at whatever port of entry they came into and are already in transit to a Canon USA facility somewhere in the U.S.

that would explain how Canon Direct is able to sell cameras when no one else has them. This direct sales business model can’t make dealers happy.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
that would explain how Canon Direct is able to sell cameras when no one else has them. This direct sales business model can’t make dealers happy.

Canon has always done it this way, even way back in the film era. Dealers have known this for decades. A regional manager for a now defunct chain camera store is who told me.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

I know the local canon rep HATES it when someone does business with B&H or Adorama. It doesn't help him fill his million dollar quota. (He was also unhappy with the early announcement of the 1D III (possibly not quite the right model number), it killed sales of the prior model.) I have no idea whether the Canon store credits their reps or not. In any case I try to buy from the brick and mortar unless it's just something they don't have (like decent filters).

Upvote 0