To buy M or not to buy M?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paul13walnut5

Handled one with the 18-55, yet to handle one with the 22mm on it (which is the kit I would go for)

Like it. A lot. A great compliment to my exsisting EOS gear. If I get it.

However I do use some third party lenses, specifcially concerned about the Tokina 11-16, Sigma 30mm f1.4 and 70mm f2.8. Lensbaby composer too.

Has anybody used any of these lenses via the EF adaptor?

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
To buy M or not to buy M?
...for me ...a RESOUNDING ....NOT!
I have a FF DSLR Kit.
...but my MFT Kit just shoots circles around the M. Big circles, small circles..all kinds of circles.
Sometimes it shoots circles around my Canon FF Kit...like when I want to hand-hold a shot in virtual darkness.
My Canon CANNOT do that. Don't get me wrong...I love my 5DIII...it has its place..
I personally believe that Canon missed the whole point of mirrorless.
...but I am a serious photographer....I realize that the average consumer may feel much differently.

Upvote 0
I have one with the 22mm and EF adaptor. I got it so I don't have to lug my 5D3 everywhere.

A lot of people here bash the EOS-M for what it isn't supposed to be. Those opinions are misguided because the EOS-M isn't supposed to be your DSLR substitute. What it is is a compact with impeccable image quality, full manual control, AF points you can virtually focus anywhere in the scene. And to top it off, can use EF/EF-S lenses! The EOS-M is for those wanting to jump in the photography scene but don't want to get a chunky DSLR. Eventually when those people buy EF/EF-S lenses it'll be a much more economical transition to a DSLR.

Sure the AF is slow - what do you expect from a compact??? But take note the AF speed depends on what lens is on it - STM lenses focus fast, while it's painfully slow with my 16-35mm II. EVF? You don't put an EVF on a compact. Me, I compose just fine from the LCD.

Take the EOS-M for what it is. If you want a smaller body that has proper AF speed, get a 1100D/650D. Or a Sony Nex if you have a lot of money to still invest in another system. Otherwise there is no substitute to the DSLR you currently have.

Upvote 0
S

seta666

I know this is a Canon users site but in my opinion the EOS-M is an overpriced mirrorless with poor features.

I would suggest getting a NEX-5N instead, you can get the kit with 18-55 and flash very cheap (around 450$)
I you do not need the lens/flash you can sell it for 150$+ and you have a very cheap mirrorless.

There are NEX-EF adapter on ebay for around 250$, the electronic one can use aperture and IS and some of them offer AF capabilities. I am going to use my MP-E and a EF-S 60mm macro on my NEX-5N with one of them

NEX-5N vs EOS-M

- Better sensor (better DR and lower noise)
- Better AF (Af is fast on the NEX)
- Much longer battery life (twice us much)
- Half the price

Lense choice for the NEX system is better than for EOS-M

You have the cheap sigma 19/2.8 and 30/2.8 which are tack sharp, 150$ on BHphoto
The new 35/1.8 OSS gives you a 50mm standard with IS, a bit expensive though 400$

The 22/2 canon is sexy though ;-)

Upvote 0
I think the next version of M will have more of those missing features that some are whining about. :) For me, I just hope that its AF will be faster. If they can do that, then I'd consider it as a replacement to my ageing G11. An M + 22mm looks very nice. Size is comparable enough to G11 and it fits in my belt bag which is something I'm looking for in a second body. I'd also rather have a swivel screen than a viewfinder but that's me. It's very useful for landscape and macro photography that I'm doing.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

Thanks for the responses, especially those thoughtful ones which appear to be to a question I hadn't asked.

Already have a 600d, another option is mounting a shorty forty I suppose...

I decided against the mft or nex route because apart from the Panasonic gf1 none have really floated my boated.
I'm concerned about the future of both mounts since Sony have bought into Olympus.

Besides, I don't want another lens system.

Does anybody know if there is af micro-adjust on the m?

Upvote 0
S

seta666

In my opinion Sony and Olympus have a very good future, Sony has not bought Olympus but it is interested in its medical division. Olympus in exchange got a sony sensor on the OM-D M5 and the new PEN

You are going into a new lens system, so it does not matter if you buy Olympus, canon or sony as you will need new lenses and/or adapters. The only thing you can borrow on the EOS-M from its big brothers are flashes

I do not think it has AF micro adjustment because itr does not have a AF module. It focuses through the sensor

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

seta666 said:
You are going into a new lens system, so it does not matter if you buy Olympus, canon or sony as you will need new lenses and/or adapters. The only thing you can borrow on the EOS-M from its big brothers are flashes

If i buy I'll be going for the M + 22mm + Adaptor.

The 22mm pancake is probably the only EF-M lens I will own. It will be for the bulk of the time when it's a pocket camera. For any other occassion I'll use the Canon AF or third party lenses I already have.

By the time you get beyond the pancake primes on any other system the cameras are far from compact. So the taking of Canon lenses (which i already have) is a big plus. Don't really fancy the metabones route...

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
RLPhoto said:
I generally don't adopt first generation electronic products...
...and with very good reason. Recent tech history is loaded with examples of why it makes a lot of sense to go with Generation 2. Original iPhone anyone? EOS 1Ds? I could make a long list here with Canons, Fujifilm, Panasonic, Leica, Nikon etc.

But along with around a billion other photographers I'll be keen to see Canon's next mirrorless offering.

If I just had to get on board with mirrorless right now, I'd be having a long hard look at the Olympus OM-D E M5. Read up here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/olympus_om_d_e_m5_review.shtml

-PW

Upvote 0
bycostello said:
the M that is... the fuji is awesome...

Fuji is awesome but you need another set of lens. I'd wait for the next M. The fact that it can use my other Canon lenses is already a big +. I don't have any wish to spend more on other lenses except those I can use with my SLR. Also the cost of maintaining 2 different systems is way, way expensive for me to handle. For me, the M is a perfect backup camera and as a light camera when you need one. E.g., I carry my G11 when we go out for weekends and when I want to travel light. It's still usable until ISO 800 for internet purposes. With the M, I think it can do almost everything that my SLR can do and that's a good thing.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
bycostello said:
the M that is... the fuji is awesome...
bycostello said:
i got the fuji x-e1 after waiting all that time for the M.... disappointed with it..
Can you elaborate on your particular issues with the M?

Your Fuji sounds like a winner:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-x-e1
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/fuji_x_e1_review.shtml
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-x-e1-review-20751

I can't believe Canon will remain a fringe player in the Mirrorless Universe for too much longer. This is the future. The current DSLR design fundamentals have their roots well and truly embedded in film SLR design principals and historically will be regarded as transitional.

-PW

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
pwp said:
RLPhoto said:
I generally don't adopt first generation electronic products...
...and with very good reason. Recent tech history is loaded with examples of why it makes a lot of sense to go with Generation 2. Original iPhone anyone? EOS 1Ds? I could make a long list here with Canons, Fujifilm, Panasonic, Leica, Nikon etc.

But along with around a billion other photographers I'll be keen to see Canon's next mirrorless offering.

If I just had to get on board with mirrorless right now, I'd be having a long hard look at the Olympus OM-D E M5. Read up here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/olympus_om_d_e_m5_review.shtml

-PW

+++1 OMD...amazing camera...the next one will be off the charts!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.