Tokina to Announce Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Not to be outdone, Tokina plans to announce a Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF ahead of CP+. Canon shooters have been waiting a new 50mm for quite some time, I’m not sure this is what they were thinking.</p>
<p>You’re also going to have to wait a while to try it out, as it doesn’t look like it’s coming until September of 2018.</p>
<p>One neat design element of the lens, is it appears the focus ring will rotate in the direction that matches your Canon or Nikon camera.</p>
<p><strong>Tokina Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF Specifications: </strong>(Google Translated)</p>
<ul>
<li>Autofocus full frame lens</li>
<li>Mount: For Canon · For Nikon</li>
<li>Ring type ultrasonic motor</li>
<li>Dust and Weather Resistant</li>
<li>For the first time at Tokinar adopted electromagnetic iris system for Nikon</li>
<li>The direction of rotation of the focus ring is the same as that of a genuine lens for both Canon and Nikon</li>
<li>Scheduled release date: Summer 2018</li>
<li>Announcement expected on February 28</li>
</ul>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Only interesting if it has image stabilization but that doesn't seem the case. And it looks like a larger lens with some retrofocus construction which would explain the physical length of the lens.

While still waiting on a Canon EF 50 / 1.4 or 1.8 IS USM with good close focus (1:4 or 0.25x at least) I have to admit that the Tamron 45mm seems to be not too unattractive.

Upvote 0
I have had quite a few Tokina lenses and they were all great and they have very good customer service for 2 of my experiences. 8)
"Opera" to kinda follow Sigma's "ART" kinda line I suppose. I like that they are using that kind of terminology but I'm not sure if I'm feelin the "Opera" name though. Kinda makes me think boring old lady. ;D
Maybe they were thinking "finer things"
Anyhow I would expect this lens to have an edge on the Sigma Art with better Bokeh.
But I estimate in a year and a half we will get a Canon 50mm 1.4 IS. 8) :eek: 8)

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
IglooEater said:
Nice to see someone is taking the focus ring direction seriously. I dare say it would be much more complicated to do the same for the zoom. But wait, it could mean that it’s a focus-by-wire system which would be relatively easy to switch directions.

I can't see how it would be more difficult to construct one clockwise and one counter clockwise focus/zoom helicoid than making different lens mounts for Nikon and Canon. Please tell me what would be so complicated with mirroring one part.

Upvote 0
hne said:
IglooEater said:
Nice to see someone is taking the focus ring direction seriously. I dare say it would be much more complicated to do the same for the zoom. But wait, it could mean that it’s a focus-by-wire system which would be relatively easy to switch directions.

I can't see how it would be more difficult to construct one clockwise and one counter clockwise focus/zoom helicoid than making different lens mounts for Nikon and Canon. Please tell me what would be so complicated with mirroring one part.

A zoom makes a whole bunch more parts to mirror. There’s more than just one barrel moving back and forth in there. Probably a large part of the system would need to be mirrored. The more parts are mirrored, the more re-setting up the fabrication line has to do.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Tokina's president: "My parents told me to dream big. Of all the companies that make inconsistent Canon AF routines for large aperture glass, we want to be the best at it. Suck it, Sigma and Tamron: we're going to be #1 in the #2 best AF on Canon business!"

...and my vigil continues.

- A

Attachments

• 50 Prime Rib 2.jpg
    50 Prime Rib 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 666
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
"The direction of rotation of the focus ring is the same as that of a genuine lens for both Canon and Nikon"

[Groan.] Shocked this made a bullet point list of the lens's virtues. This is equal parts internet forum below-the-belt-dig at third party lens makers and some Yongnuo swamp creature rising from bog getting poor PR representation.

Nothing says "We're #1" better than 'their stuff isn't even legitimate!' :eek:

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Who knows? Tokina could start a new era here -- this could be their Sigma 35 Art.

I just don't trust third party AF for large aperture glass, and Canon seems to be allergic to manual focusing screens if the AF is lacking.

So the sexy optical pickle jars from Zeiss, Sigma, Samyang, etc. will have to wait for me. I'm not touching those until I can reliably focus them handheld with the camera held up to my eye, and without focusing screens, that means waiting for FF mirrorless.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
I just don't trust third party AF for large aperture glass, and Canon seems to be allergic to manual focusing screens if the AF is lacking.

So the sexy optical pickle jars from Zeiss, Sigma, Samyang, etc. will have to wait for me. I'm not touching those until I can reliably focus them handheld with the camera held up to my eye, and without focusing screens, that means waiting for FF mirrorless.
You need to try out some Tamrons. They've elected to prioritise consistent AF accuracy, at the cost of some speed. (We're talking blink-of-an-eye speed, though.) Every Tamron I've used from their latest line—every single copy of every single model—has matched the Canon equivalents for focus accuracy.
Sigma's 24-35 f/2 and 20mm f/1.4 get the pass, too, though of course with wide-angles focus is pretty simple.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
aceflibble said:
ahsanford said:

You need to try out some Tamrons. They've elected to prioritise consistent AF accuracy, at the cost of some speed. (We're talking blink-of-an-eye speed, though.) Every Tamron I've used from their latest line—every single copy of every single model—has matched the Canon equivalents for focus accuracy.
Sigma's 24-35 f/2 and 20mm f/1.4 get the pass, too, though of course with wide-angles focus is pretty simple.

The 24-35 was the first from the Art line that you could shoot with confidence. All others required luck, AMFA, the dock or returning. Now they include bigger AF motors and I hear it's pretty darn good (85, 135)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
slclick said:
The 24-35 was the first from the Art line that you could shoot with confidence. All others required luck, AMFA, the dock or returning. Now they include bigger AF motors and I hear it's pretty darn good (85, 135)

+1 on the newer ones being better, but not all the way there consistency wise. Pity their 50 Art (something I'd consider buying despite its size) doesn't get that same 'better' AF treatment.

In fairness, Canon's also has this wide aperture consistency problem with some lenses. The 50L is a flaky AF little diva even with careful technique.

But newer Canon large aperture designs are terrific -- I rented the 85 f/1.4L IS and it's AF was so money-in-the-bank automatic that I stopped worrying about chimping and verifying and I could just enjoy my photography.

As you may have guessed, I desperately want that in a fast 50 prime for my 5D3.

- A

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
ahsanford said:
slclick said:

+1 on the newer ones being better, but not all the way there consistency wise. Pity their 50 Art (something I'd consider buying despite its size) doesn't get that same 'better' AF treatment.

In fairness, Canon's also has this wide aperture consistency problem with some lenses. The 50L is a flaky AF little diva even with careful technique.

But newer Canon large aperture designs are terrific -- I rented the 85 f/1.4L IS and it's AF was so money-in-the-bank automatic that I stopped worrying about chimping and verifying and I could just enjoy my photography.

As you may have guessed, I desperately want that in a fast 50 prime for my 5D3.

- A

The 35 and 50 both could benefit from an Art Mark 2 upgrade to the af motor. The question is, then how large would that pickle jar be?

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:

my copy of the 50 art has been stellar fwiw, but maybe i am one of the lucky ones :p

you should consider giving it a shot, could always return it right if it doesn't meet expectations

back on topic my only experience with the tokina was their 11-16 on crop, great lens for the money but i absolutely hated how (ugly) flare prone the lens was considering it was a landscape lens for me, hope the new 50 fixes up flare issues (which from what i heard is a problem with a lot of tokina lenses), also not sure why they'd release that now with hugely popular options like the sigma art and tamron 45 1.8 VC that's been around for so long, i'd understand if tokina had released it with IS of some sort to differentiate i wonder how much noise this lens is actually going to make in the current market :/

Upvote 0