Topaz Labs DeNoise AI

Anyone using Topaz Labs DeNoise AI? I am playing with it for the first time and I am very impressed. I have always just used Lightroom to denoise. I think AlanF has commented that Lightroom is not very good for denoising, but I did not realize how bad it was until I tried Topaz. Just using "auto" I am getting less noise and better details than I ever got before.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone using Topaz Labs DeNoise AI? I am playing with it for the first time and I am very impressed. I have always just used Lightroom to denoise. I think AlanF has commented that Lightroom is not very good for denoising, but I did not realize how bad it was until I tried Topaz. Just using "auto" I am getting less noise and better details than I ever got before.

I use DeNoise when I have some really high ISO shots and love it. I've saved several really noisy images that just a couple years ago I would of deleted for being too noisy.
AI Clear works fine too, which I normally use, but when they are really noisy I use DeNoise AI.
I haven't used Adobe for 3 years now so not sure how much they've improved since then when it comes to noise reduction.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I use Topaz Denoise AI which does much better job than Lightroom on high ISO pictures in general. I was used to use the NIK collection denoise that was a little better than Lightroom. But the Denoise AI is better than both and the default setting does usually a pretty good job. I can find some pre and post samples with Denoise AI and post them here, if needed.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
DxO PL3 does a fantastic job, better than Lightroom IMO, and isn't a subscription model.

That said - I've used Topaz on random JPGs before and agree it does a nice job.
DxO PL3 is extremely good and is my standard. I found the lens sharpness tool introduces noise with the 90D.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Fbimages

EOS R5 EOS R3 GFX 100
Mar 4, 2020
www.instagram.com
I use it very often for wildlife photographs. I find that lightroom deals with colour noise better, so my workflow usually is:
Do all my adjustments in LR except texture, clarity, luminance, sharpen, and add colour noise reduction until chroma noise removed
Open image in PS and duplicate layer
Apply Topaz denoise to duplicated layer (I find Low Light and Severe Noise to work best for what I do)
If I notice some weird artefacts on the processed image (sometimes happen with Topaz which tries to add texture to some areas), I mask those out with a layer mask
Flatten the image and save it
This will create a new TIF file in LR
Do my sharpening, texture and clarity adjustments on that file and Bob's your uncle

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
I use it very often for wildlife photographs. I find that lightroom deals with colour noise better, so my workflow usually is:
Do all my adjustments in LR except texture, clarity, luminance, sharpen, and add colour noise reduction until chroma noise removed
Open image in PS and duplicate layer
Apply Topaz denoise to duplicated layer (I find Low Light and Severe Noise to work best for what I do)
If I notice some weird artefacts on the processed image (sometimes happen with Topaz which tries to add texture to some areas), I mask those out with a layer mask
Flatten the image and save it
This will create a new TIF file in LR
Do my sharpening, texture and clarity adjustments on that file and Bob's your uncle
This is a lot like my workflow. Mostly use LR. Then, when needed, send to PS, duplicate layer, then select and mask and send (as filter) in PS to Topaz. After getting what I want in Topaz AI denoise, applying change saves it back to the PS layer. A few tweeks (if needed) and save brings me back to LR as a TIFF. That way I have my original RAW, my LR rendering, and a final product.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
They have targeted me this week with advertising, in years past, I've been less than convinced so once more,
i gave the years later version a try.

I had this image open Lightroom so I tried the Denoise AI on it. It was a tiny cell phone image posted in a local forum. I was unable to get a sharp image in Lightroom trying the new enhance image feature. I gave it some NR and several of the other options. I also up sized the image to a larger size and saved it as a jpeg.

The end image was only a tad better. I used that end result with Topaz Denoise AI and was amazed. I did not think that it was possible to fix the image. Before I buy it, is there other software that might do better. I've posted the starting image, my 1st try using Lightroom and upsizing in ACDSEE, and the Topaz.

spider.jpgspider-Enhanced.jpgspider-Enhanced-Edit-Edit.jpg

Upvote 0
They have targeted me this week with advertising, in years past, I've been less than convinced so once more,

I had this image open Lightroom so I tried the Denoise AI on it. It was a tiny cell phone image posted in a local forum. I was unable to get a sharp image in Lightroom trying the new enhance image feature. I gave it some NR and several of the other options. I also up sized the image to a larger size and saved it as a jpeg.

The end image was only a tad better. I used that end result with Topaz Denoise AI and was amazed. I did not think that it was possible to fix the image. Before I buy it, is there other software that might do better. I've posted the starting image, my 1st try using Lightroom and upsizing in ACDSEE, and the Topaz.

View attachment 200581View attachment 200582View attachment 200584

Keep in mind that Topaz will only update DeNoise for a year after purchase and then you would need to purchase an update subscription for further updates after a year. They just changed this pricing and update policy a year or so ago.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

I am not sure what increased the resolution but it does not look like noise reduction to me. DXO can't fix it, its a tiny jpeg original. Luminar and Lightroom don't do anything substantial. I know there are other possible pieces of software which might turn the blurred body of the spider into something visible.

Anyone have something that works?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Keep in mind that Topaz will only update DeNoise for a year after purchase and then you would need to purchase an update subscription for further updates after a year. They just changed this pricing and update policy a year or so ago.
I'm aware of that, but that was not the point. Adobe is the same, DXO is the same, AcdSee is the same, if you want updates after whatever period, you pay a update price.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'm aware of that, but that was not the point. Adobe is the same, DXO is the same, AcdSee is the same, if you want updates after whatever period, you pay a update price.
Topaz continues to work after a year and you are out of free upodates whereas PS disappears if you stop paying. I bought Topaz products over a year ago and am past free updates. I tried the latest versions on a free trial and there was no discernible improvement so no need to upgrade. As Topaz works on jpegs, there is no need to upgrade when you get a new camera with new RAW output. DxO PL does its noise reduction magic on RAW files and so you have to upgrade to a new version when Canon brings out a new model.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Alan convinced me too...

Upvote 0