Torn on low light sports lens 85/135 RF

KKCFamilyman

Capturing moments in time...
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando
www.allofamily.net
Hey everyone,

I am torn on either the rf85 1.2 or rf135 1.8 for my kids track meets to keep the iso down. Also my sons water polo games. Of course portraits of the kids too. I am curious if anyone has a recommendation. I own the 70-200 2.8 and that is just not enough light on some of these night meets. I am not a pro but will invest if the glass is worth it.

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I've used both for indoor basketball games, and my vote is for the 135. I know it's a bit slower, aperture-wise, but the AF is significantly faster than the 85.
+1
Reason? Just the fact that I'm using the 135 (compared to the 85mm) 90% of the time. For me, 85mm is a bit too short...but that's a purely subjective opinion. In the end, nobody else can choose for you. ;) Base your decision on which focal you'd be choosing in a "typical" situation if you had both lenses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KKCFamilyman

Capturing moments in time...
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando
www.allofamily.net
I’m not sure you will see any net gain. You gain about a stop in light, but you need to crop more to get the same framing.

Of course that assumes you are shooting the 70-200 at 200 most of the time.
I just need something in the 85-150mm range but f2 or better. The iso is 40k in my shots so if I can cut that in half that is the goal.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I just need something in the 85-150mm range but f2 or better. The iso is 40k in my shots so if I can cut that in half that is the goal.
Sounds like the 135 is the way to go then, if you can get your hands on one.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
A $2600 lens with slow autofocus ?
That's crazy !

Of course, slow is relative, but still...
It uses the biggest USM Canon makes, think it’s the same as the one in the 400 f2.8 III. But, the focusing group of the 85 is very heavy, so it takes time. But, yes, it smokes the EF version and many other older L-lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Apart from the AF speed discussion, I would give another vote for the 135.

I've done indoor sports in different light conditions, even in the old film days.
From football (soccer) over volleyball to dancing, and even snooker.
Okay some might call billiards no sports but even here a fast AF is highly appreciated.
But I always needed focal length.
I love the 85mm FL for portrait, but for indoor sports it should be 135 to 200 at least.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
After getting to know the RF 135 I can clearly state that it is much better focusing than the RF 85 L. It’s faster for sure, getting much more keepers when things really move. But, what I really love is that when it misses, it misses by very little and gets quickly back on track. Where the 85 throws its hands up and racks focus and gives up the 135 stays on target.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Another option to consider would be Sigma 105/1.4 (EF mount, adapted). This would get you half-way-in-between with regards to focal length and fstop. Not sure if you'd get the required AF speed, though. It would probably be wise to try it out first by renting, before buying.
The 105 is very front heavy, especially using the EF-RF adapter. It also is even more comically large than the RF85L, it grabs a lot of attention.

Upvote 0
Like previous poster said
I’d stick with the fast 70-200 and bump the iso up.

I’m assuming you are using the R5 ?? (seems everyone and his dog has a R5 atm) lol

I don’t know enough about the R line to give advice, but for me personally, if I were photographing my son in low light sports events I’d be seriously tempted to dump my bodies and grab a used R3 with lower mp.

Last edited:
Upvote 0